Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacket hardware

Panacheman

Familiar Face
Hey there loungers I'm having several of my favorite old thrift store finds taken in post weight loss and was thinking while I was at it why not update the hardware in the process and then got to thinking why not do it on some of my new jackets as well (the wested ROLA and j peterman british motorcycle jacket). To be honest there is nothing really wrong with the hardware on any of the jackets but something a little chunkier might look a bit more solid and put some of my own preferences to the jackets. I was wondering if anyone out there might have some suggestions on places to look on the web or around London town. I'm mostly looking to swap out buckles, sliders and the like. Thank gents for the assist and I know I say this every time but pics are coming, just after I'm done with lambing.

Last edited:

Tony B

One of the Regulars
If you want leather buckles for your bike jacket Kleins in soho is your best bet , most other things can be got on ebay. If you want some top notch 18mm press studs (Kane m, the ones used on barbour jackets) for the bike jacket I can tell you a place in london but don't want to put it on the open forum as they have a very limited amount and I might be after some later in the week.

Panacheman

Familiar Face
If you want leather buckles for your bike jacket Kleins in soho is your best bet , most other things can be got on ebay. If you want some top notch 18mm press studs (Kane m, the ones used on barbour jackets) for the bike jacket I can tell you a place in london but don't want to put it on the open forum as they have a very limited amount and I might be after some later in the week.
Thanks Tony B The press studs are all yours I'm mostly looking at swapping out sliders Buckles and the like And it looks like kleins should. Fit the bill

Edward

Bartender
If you can do it yourself, that makes sense, though if you want to get someone else to do it for you, I'd first check out what it would cost to have, for instance, Aero make you an Indy jacket with all the fittings and bits you want to begin with. Might find it's not all that far off?

Adapting the J Peterman might be cheaper than buying the Lewis equivalent, though - http://www.lewisleathers.com/productinfo.html?code=jak-414 Lovely jacket, mind.

Tony B

One of the Regulars
Thanks Tony B The press studs are all yours I'm mostly looking at swapping out sliders Buckles and the like And it looks like kleins should. Fit the bill

You say that now but you wait...that is how I started now I have patterns for two sctratch built jackets on the go and a house full of sewing machines, leather and fabric.....you just wait.

Panacheman

Familiar Face
Edward there is nothing wrong with the fit and finish of the wested ROLA I'm really very pleased with it I although I do wish from time to time that I had Peter do something slightly heretical with it like a scalloped back or A2 shoulder epaulettes.....maybe next time if I remember correctly you have the same jacket youl know that the hardware on the side straps are..... Hmm in the best of terms standard. As far as having aero do it nice thought but I've been unwowed by the aeros I've encountered in the wild and even if i was willing to pay aero prices veterinary students don't really make aero kinda green second I'm an excellent hand stitch after years of repairing/customizing thrift store jackets so why not do it myself. The Lewis is very pretty but to be honest the peterman is nearly as pretty as is my big gripe at the moment is the buckles are roller buckles in antiqued black roller buckles are nice I suppose when buckling and unbuckling but they have a tendency to clink when loose which makes me sound like the urban cowboys in their chromed out spurs.
Oh Tony b how I know the dangerous road on which I start down I already make my own hats and rebuildand customize old jackets. I haven't gone full blown into production yet.......but I fear the day may indeed come about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe