Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Powell Bi-Swing Jkt

Feraud

Bartender
I saw a similar jacket from Ralph Lauren. Same hefty price tag too.
02-08-08_1428.jpg

02-08-08_1427.jpg

02-08-08_1429.jpg

Longshanks

New in Town
Feraud said:
I saw a similar jacket from Ralph Lauren. Same hefty price tag too.
02-08-08_1428.jpg

02-08-08_1427.jpg

02-08-08_1429.jpg
Thread hijack comment about bi-swing back fit: when wearing the jacket normally, is the bi-swing back really supposed to bulge out like that? I have a Taylor Leatherware vintage where the shoulders bulge like that and I've always thought it might look odd.
Any ideas?
Ta much

Feraud

Bartender
Longshanks said:
Thread hijack comment about bi-swing back fit: when wearing the jacket normally, is the bi-swing back really supposed to bulge out like that? I have a Taylor Leatherware vintage where the shoulders bulge like that and I've always thought it might look odd.
Any ideas?
Ta much
The back pleat should not bulge out like that unless your body is doing some movement that should require the pleat to expand.
The jacket I tried on was cut on the narrow side for its stated size.
I would need to go up at least one size for it to sit correctly.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
I think the problem with that particular jacket is that the half-belt - where the bi-swing pleats end - is too low. At the 'modern waist' in fact. It is therefore exagerating the effect of a relatively small movement of the arms in a forward direction. I think you would find that a higher (or 'vintage') waist would absorb the motion of the arms and the opening of the pleat would not be so obvious.

Going up a chest/waist size to gain freedom of movement in my opinion cancels out the whole point of having an 'action back', which is to allow a trim fit with free arm/shoulder movement.

Another example, perhaps, of mixing 'vintage' and 'modern' styling to the detriment of both. It's a pity, because it seems a nice jacket otherwise.

Feraud

Bartender
H.Johnson said:
I think the problem with that particular jacket is that the half-belt - where the bi-swing pleats end - is too low. At the 'modern waist' in fact. It is therefore exagerating the effect of a relatively small movement of the arms in a forward direction. I think you would find that a higher (or 'vintage') waist would absorb the motion of the arms and the opening of the pleat would not be so obvious.

Going up a chest/waist size to gain freedom of movement in my opinion cancels out the whole point of having an 'action back', which is to allow a trim fit with free arm/shoulder movement.

Another example, perhaps, of mixing 'vintage' and 'modern' styling to the detriment of both. It's a pity, because it seems a nice jacket otherwise.
Do you think buying a short size would correct this?

Matt Deckard said:
How is it lined?
ummmm, I forgot! lol

I was never a big fan of leather elbow patches but like the leather cuff detail.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Feraud said:
Do you think buying a short size would correct this?

No, I don't. It might 'lift' the waist an inch or so, but the false half belt would still be proportionately low (and the pleats long) and the sleeves might be too short. The bi-swing pleat would still be too long to articulate properly.

This example is just not cut like a traditional half-Norfolk jacket, which IMO is what creates the problem with the articulation and the gaping pleat In your photographs the false belt is level with the top of the pocket flap. Unless these are intended to be exceptionally high pockets that's about 2 inches too low. Waist-high pockets? Not in a 'vintage' cut, I think. A small detail, but it makes all the difference to how a jacket fits.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Belt Backs

I would buy a proper Norfolk from an outfit like cityvintage when it came up on the 'Bay or get MTM thr Matt D or Magnoli FWIW.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Compare the position of the false belt on this example - the articulation would almost certainly be better than the RL jacket
pb111.jpg

H.Johnson

One Too Many
It's a personal choice, obviously, but the phrase, 'Traditional Fit: classic and roomy' in the blurb doesn't bode well. A 'traditional' country jacket should not be 'roomy'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld