Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

It`s all been done before.

nicemouth

New in Town
Yet another life experienced contributor chased away by snobs. The anonymity of the internet that makes people "brave" is the worst thing to ever happen to actual LEARNING.

Bburtner has valuable collecting and retro appreciation experience that could have benefitted many people in their future. No one is a "young buck" forever.

For the record, it IS possible to disagree with someone without belittling their ideas and feelings ("pity party") and dumping on their typing skills.

Oh well, it's back to such riveting discussions as "What color shoe laces did Indy wear?" and "Should I match my wallet with my belt?".

So thanks for that...
(return key used)

arthur

Suspended
Wow! Quite a thread,lots of vintage stuff is overpriced and just as much is under priced.I've owned several vintage watches and the one that works the best is my 40's bulova that I got for 20$.You have to look and be patient and not get caught up in a I've got to have it know attitude.I just scored 4 1950's suits at the salv.army all in in mint condition and they fit like they were tailored for me.Price?40$.Now I shop a lot of garage and thrift stores and deals like that don't happen everyday,but the hunt is so much fun,it's probably our biggest hobby.

Make`s no nevermind

Sour grapes,grape juice,Gilbert Grape,grape seed oil,grape nuts,I was not offended.Oh by the way I did not match my shoes to my wallet or belt today,its monday.(Just a little humor thats all).Brian

MadelienneBlack

One of the Regulars
I think what it all comes down to is that this is a place where a damn good majority of people enjoy collecting vintage things. Some of them are thrifty about their finds while others don't mind spending a couple thou' on something they deem "worth it".

Bburtner, your post, while I think you meant it to be helpful, came off a little offensive to some. And while I'm still trying to figure out exactly what point you were getting at, I think it was a bit rude the way you went about explaining your point(s).

From what I can gather, you think it's dumb to spend ridiculous amounts of money for things that weren't worth that money right when they came out. I can agree with you to a point. But I think you're a little mistaken when you assume a few things. When it comes to a price tage, "worth" is determined by how much someone is willing to pay. It's not a qualitative measurement at all.

As for this "young buck" business, I can't quite figure out what you meant. You claim "its been done before,your not doing anything different,been there done that,and who cares.Be an individual.Stop following the foolish trends,Play you own music!!!". Yet at the beginning you mention you still collect vintage things yourself. That seems contradictory.

The only thing I can figure is that you must equate the "young bucks" with the "money people", like, for example, your own daughter who pays $200 for jeans. We young folk jack up the prices on vintage things by being willing to pay thousands of dollars for them, just so we can buy them to look cool.

Well, that's a damn lot of assuming right there. Most youngin's these days don't have much more money than you. We're mostly poor college kids. And while some might spend large amounts of money to look "cool" or follow the crowd, most of the kids on here are not those types of people. Try MTV.com if you're looking for them.

I'll admit, I'm offended by generalizing when it comes to young people. Not all of us sit around listening to 50 cent with our jeans hanging halfway off of our @ss, or pay insane dollars to have the latest Ugg boots.

While I think this whole thing is being blown way out of proportion, and yes, I know my post was a bit long here, but I want to say think about the community you're posting in before you get surprised by the responses you elicit.

arthur

Suspended
Operative phrase"what one thinks somethings worth".I own 14 hats all of them vintage all but one under 70$ and most under 30.I have a 1942 royal stetson in pristine shape that I paid 170 for.I paid more than double for that hat because unlike my other hats this one had a story.I've got the original receipt and the order form.It was originally ordered by a man who left for the war before he could claim his hat and was never heard from again. The man who bought it from the hat shop purchased it for a party and never wore it because he felt guilty wearing it with the other mans initials embossed in the hat.So it basically sat in a closet for 65 years until his son started selling items to defray medical costs for his father.So it's all relative to what you think somethings worth.

nicemouth

New in Town
MadelienneBlack-

Your post is honest and I respect that, but I think you may have missed the point.

To me, if you read between the lines, bburtner's original post wasn't about how much an antique bass should cost or a what a pair of pants is worth. I admit it, I responded defensively to his original post, but his second post helped me see what was really going on, and it runs deeper than vintage clothing.

His original post was about feeling left out of the game. He clearly has much to offer and wants to contribute, but doesn't feel welcome anymore. It was shortly after this that his typing was ridiculed and his honest feelings were patronized. Then he gracefully bowed out...

I don't post a lot on this forum, but I lurk everyday. I've noticed that there's a lot of "discussion" about really DUMB STUFF: the "proper" mesh that a leather shoe "should" have, if a haircut is REALLY "vintage", etc. I was actually looking forward to learning more from an older cat about the current market vs. when he was a "young buck". To me, this is much more interesting than whether or not a Ralph Lauren suit lapel meets the extensive criteria for acceptable "vintage reproduction" or not. Wow! Absolutely riveting!!

It's ironic that a forum full of "youngin's" (your word) is so quick to take pot shots at the frustrated opinions of an older person in a forum dedicated to the appreciation of OLDER THINGS! It happens a lot here. I hate to say it, but I already know what YOU think. How about a different viewpoint for a change...warts and all??

You may not like HOW some people express themselves, and you can always disagree, but you shouldn't dump on them for their typing ability, honesty or true feelings. You may be in their shoes someday. They still have a lot to offer and to me, it's 10x more interesting than what is normally presented here.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Here is the thing.

The venting about prices...is fair, and peoples comments about 'worth' are also very valid...worth is 'individual' and you cannot judge others for what they will pay for something.

But I did not see any 'contributing' to the discussion of anything besides the price issue. Being upset about personal finance issues.....which is what it sounds like this is.....totally valid. Heck, I have finance issues myself.

But 'grouching' at people who -can- pay more for something....not exactly productive or 'teaching' the rest of us about vintage stuff or life.

And get honest...fundamentally, this is a place about -stuff-......with some ideals tossed in on the side.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
I think it is very easy to say that things are "tto much' i see that in real estate, but often that means people are upset because they can't afford it and some one else can. Prices do tend to go to the top of the limit, especially with values and info being so readily available on the internet. Rare is the find in an old thrift store that has not been picked over by a collector or dealer who sells on ebay.

Also, do not forget that there is a lot of money out there and many people can throw a grand at a hat or watch without a second thought. More power to them. Also, american vintage often means more to foreigners at a time when the exchange rate allows them to out bid and out buy americans

All that said, I think that the find or the bargain is half the fun. If I were Bill Gates, would I still haunt the thrift stores, or would I just have a personal buyer find me the best vintage clothes and acouterment? Who knows.

I also think that people tend to be too trendy in their collecting. A name brand watch or piece of furniture will bring much more than an equally cool, non designer or company name brand. I care more about the look of a vintage item than the brand. but i would not turn my nose up at a cy Devore suit. and a Rolex or Patel phillipe or whatever is still a fine watch.

Feraud

Bartender
nicemouth said:
I don't post a lot on this forum, but I lurk everyday. I've noticed that there's a lot of "discussion" about really DUMB STUFF:
Sorry the level of conversation is not up to your standards.
Instead of lurking and/or insulting other people's interests, you could lead us with intelligent conversation.

nicemouth

New in Town
Feraud said:
Sorry the level of conversation is not up to your standards.
Instead of lurking and/or insulting other people's interests, you could lead us with intelligent conversation.

A potentially enjoyable, educational AND intelligent conversation never got off the ground because the original poster of this thread was sandbagged.

Feraud

Bartender
nicemouth said:
A potentially enjoyable, educational AND intelligent conversation never got off the ground because the original poster of this thread was sandbagged.
Edit. My mistake on the post #. Have corrected it.
True It (the sandbagging) started in post #4.

mister7

Familiar Face
Have to agree with Doran on being able to appreciate multiple points of view. The ,"You don't agree with me, you must be an idiot" approach is pretty unproductive.

I think what the OP was really getting at is the difference between doing something because YOU like it, or paying through the nose to strike some pose that has largely been determined by the "taste" of others.

I dress how I like, some new, some old, mostly cheap because I am a poorly paid civil servant. I came from a poor family and can relate a little to resenting "trustafarians". That said, I guess they are free to waste their parents money as they wish.

It's the difference between a poseur and an original, your choice!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
mister7 said:
I think what the OP was really getting at is the difference between doing something because YOU like it, or paying through the nose to strike some pose that has largely been determined by the "taste" of others.

I agree completely with this and seriously...none of us are here dressing as we do with hobbies that we have because its the 'mainstream' taste of others........it's way -easier- to just wander on down to the Gap and buy clothes.....trust me.

So being warned of the 'dangers' of following trends.....seems an 'unlikely' reprimand for a place like this....thats all ;)

nicemouth

New in Town
Feraud said:
True. It (the sandbagging) started in post #5.

The DISCUSSION may have started (in your opinion) in post #5 and was indeed an opposing position, a disagreeing position, a "calling-on-the-carpet" position, but it was my understanding that a forum is set up for this. The SANDBAGGING began when someone's typing skills were belittled and later when their opinions were referred to as a "pity party". I don't believe that this is the intent of the forum.

The original poster was then forced to step away. Nice going. I would have liked to have learned more from him, to spar with him, to be persuaded by him. He sounded interesting and experienced to me.

Please see post #23 for bburtner's opinion of the way I treated him.

I like disagreements. I have a feeling bburtner does, too. It's how human beings are forced to learn. I would like to read more valued disagreements here and fewer discussions about whether a watch that someone truly admires is "vintage-y" looking enough for everyone else. But after witnessing how this original poster was hit below the belt for the presentation of his original ideas, I see now that this may not be possible here.

Oh, but what the heck, how about another endless thread about hair tonics instead?

Feraud

Bartender
Personally I am not thrilled with calling anyone's typing and grammar skills out in public.

Aside from that point which we agree on, I am not sure what kind of "valued disagreements" you are looking for.
The are levels of discussion at the Lounge on a variety of topics that ebb and flow depending on the posters. I can think of many spirited disagreements that took place here. We are certainly not lacking members with varied opinions.

Your description of Lounge conversation as "dumb stuff", not riveting and "Yet another life experienced contributor chased away by snobs" makes me wonder why you do not start the sort of challenging conversation you crave?
You have been a member for two years.
Start some new threads, post you collection, and let's discuss.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe