Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

It ain't for sale

Several months ago a good friend surprised me with the gift of a hatband he crafted with glass beads on deerskin.

This friend, who has asked to remain anonymous for now, is quite the expert in this area. (He holds a master's in a closely related field and is himself of Indian descent.) He tells me that these "seed" beads were made in what is now the Czech Republic sometime between 1900 and 1920. (I did some quick arithmetic and figured there's about 6,800 of them in this piece.) The tassels are dyed horsehair, the ferrules tin, the beads on the ferrules French brass. The design reflects a Sioux style.

I was quite taken aback by the gift. I can only imagine how many hours he put into this thing, and the beads themselves are of some consequential value, considering their age and all. So I chewed over at length what sort of hat would do it justice. I had it on a straw for a while, which was okay, but just okay. I considered a grey felt, or a black, or an off white. I hadn't planned on putting it on this red (cranberry, burgundy, whatever) body. It's just a staple (rabbit fur), and when I put it on a block a few days ago I had no specific vision at all for this body, really. But I did want a hat in this color, having made a few for other people but not having one for myself. It was only after I bound the brim and determined that the band ribbons I'd considered using just weren't quite right that I slipped the beaded hatband off the straw and tried it on this hat. It works, I think, because the edge binding picks up the color of the deerskin.

IMGP1495.jpg

Delthayre

One of the Regulars
For the ages

That is a terrific-looking hat. The proportions, colors and details blend together astoundingly well. Such a band seems as though it would be difficult to fit to a hat, but int his instance, serendipity has favored you outrageously well.

Feraud said:
Is it for sale???

Just kidding. Nice!

Thanks for the kind words, gents. The reason I wouldn't sell it is because it's a gift, of course. And because my avaricious little heart wants it for its very own. And because the price it would have to fetch to make it worth the beadwork artist's trouble would be quite high, I'd think.

The beadworker and I have discussed the possibility of offering something similar for sale. It wouldn't be identical, because each of his pieces is unique, but it could be done in a similar vein. But who would pony up the funds?

A Western wear aficionado might, we figure. When we see what some of those guys are willing to spend for their boots and hats and whatnot, well, you get to understanding why there are 10 custom cowboy hat makers for every fedora maker. And the Indian beadwork is in keeping with the Western genre.

In the case of a hat with such a band -- the real McCoy (so to speak), made with antique Bohemian beads on deerskin, in a manner faithful to the conventions of the Indian styles and methods of construction (it ain't easy, friends) -- a steep price tag would seem entirely justified. The hat itself, in this case, becomes something akin to the frame around a painting. It ought to complement the band, but it's not where the real value is.

Feraud

Bartender
Tonyb, just curious and trying to keep on topic but does your friend do quillwork?
A fedora with a quillwork hatband or brim binding would look equally spectacular!

Feraud said:
Tonyb, just curious and trying to keep on topic but does your friend do quillwork?
A fedora with a quillwork hatband or brim binding would look equally spectacular!

I dunno. I'll make a point of asking him. I agree, though -- it could be quite dazzling.

I feel about this hat about the way I feel toward my red eelskin cowboy boots: it's not everyday attire, and perhaps it's even a bit costumey (more than a bit, maybe), but, you know, you could say the same thing about formal wear.

Speaking of red eelskin boots ...

Chinaski

One Too Many
Immediately upon looking at that hat/ribbon combo - well, it is quite striking! It is absolutely beautiful work, and eye pleasing. I think you pegged it with the edge binding matching the deerskin. On the other hand, I don't know where or for what occasion I would ever wear a hat like that one. I'd be tempted to not give a good g**damn and wear it every day, however!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust