Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

is wearing a shirt without an undershirt improper for the golden era?

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I was USAF, enlisted for very brief time, basic and two months hold for OTS, then officer for remainder of my time. We were required to wear t shirts under summer open collar uniforms, depending on commanders, crew neck or v neck. Some wanted t shirt collar to show, others did not. Go figure.

That's odd; in the Army we had to wear a crew neck with our Class B uniform shirts...

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I didn't say I don't wash my dress shirts. I said that I don't use hot water and bleach on them. Dealing with sweat stains on cheap cotton T shirts is what I prefer to do. I also prefer to not have sweat visible on my back or under my arms (is there a chest and back antiperspirant that I'm not aware of?). Living in a place where the temperature is almost always over 100F means sweat happens.
The undershirt for me is an essential component of how I like to present myself, as well as temperature regulation. Men that can go day-to-day without visible sweat on their shirts, who find undershirts uncomfortable, or who can afford to have things dry cleaned weekly, can certainly ditch it. I'm just not one of those men.

I'm with you, brother, although I've got an athletic t-shirt on right now. :eusa_doh:

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Which does nothing for the whole underarm thing. lol lol lol

True, which is why I added the :eusa_doh:!

They would love me. If I HAD to wear such a thing I would cut it in half; cut off the arms and cut vents into it all over. :p

Boy, your nickname would have been "Article 15," which is disciplinary action just under a court martial!

tealseal

A-List Customer
From your description you are wearing a white cotton t-shirt as a undershirt. Thats what I do because I agree about protecting the armpit of my dress or sport shirt. When I hear the term undershirt, I think of the old stule ribbed knit shirts with no sleeves, only narrow shoulder straps.
Absolutely correct. Terminology is so important!

I'm with you, brother, although I've got an athletic t-shirt on right now. :eusa_doh:
The exceptions make the rule. :) As I type this, I'm not wearing my under(T-)shirt. Of course, I'm wearing a polo, and something about Tshirts under polo shirts rubs me the wrong way

tealseal

A-List Customer
Aw, come on! Put one on under there and take a picture. :plol lol
lol no... I would feel too much like what one of my good friends called a "Dudebrah", referring to the type of people that join fraternities simply to party their way to early cirrhosis. The name comes from these people's propensity for addressing each other as "Duuude" or "Brah".
I suppose I'd have to pop the collar too? Or maybe put ANOTHER polo on over the one I have and pop BOTH collars?

I like it here on the Lounge. I'm pretty sure that such a photo would get me booted :p

lol no... I would feel too much like what one of my good friends called a "Dudebrah", referring to the type of people that join fraternities simply to party their way to early cirrhosis. The name comes from these people's propensity for addressing each other as "Duuude" or "Brah".
I suppose I'd have to pop the collar too? Or maybe put ANOTHER polo on over the one I have and pop BOTH collars?

I like it here on the Lounge. I'm pretty sure that such a photo would get me booted :p

:rofl: My son wore a polo shirt under a dress shirt for school a few times when it was cold as heck out here in winter. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82