Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IRVIN NUTS?...the ULTIMATE thread for those who love 'em!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Irvin use outside of RAF squadrons

Hi all,

I was thinking it might be interesting to get a bit of a discussion going concerning Irvins being used outside of RAF and RAF administered squadrons.

I have a few pics of USAAF aircrew with Irvins and there are the famous examples of Luftwaffe experten Galland and Oesau using Irvins but what are some others that others might know or have photos of.

I'll try and post some scans in the next day or so but would love to see what others may have.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
The first one who entered my mind was fieldmarshal Montgomery.
Could only find this picture though - I know there are some better ones somewhere:
untitled.jpg

ethanedwards

One of the Regulars
Irvins in the movies

Hello chaps, Stanley Baker wears a fabulous electrically wired Irvin
in the 1957 classic Helldrivers. (It's probably his fault that I always
wanted one myself when I saw this film as a boy!)

helldrivers.jpg

Mike1973

A-List Customer
ethanedwards said:
Hello chaps, Stanley Baker wears a fabulous electrically wired Irvin
in the 1957 classic Helldrivers. (It's probably his fault that I always
wanted one myself when I saw this film as a boy!)

12739_Hell-Drivers-1.JPG

Great film! Even with the radically speeded up trucks :D

My Grandfather wore his Irvin after the war on his milk float round... I can't think of more different extremes! That jacket went from bombing missions over Germany, to delivering milk around Kingstanding, Brum...

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Mike1973 said:
My Grandfather wore his Irvin after the war on his milk float round... I can't think of more different extremes! That jacket went from bombing missions over Germany, to delivering milk around Kingstanding, Brum...

He'd probably find it almost as dangerous nowadays...

Alan

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
I live next door to RAF Stafford which from 1938 until 2007 was the main RAF Maintenance Unit (MU) stores in the UK. It is so big that that no-one really knows what is in some of the more remote sheds. Things used to turn up all the time - the BBMF were regular customers!

There are persistent local rumours that there is a shed or at least a crate full of flying clothing hidden away somewhere. These are confirmed by people who have served there for decades.

Recently the RAF moved out and the Signals and Ghurkas moved in. The site is being systematically cleared. Just in case the rumours are true, I have a spy in the camp...

Alan

Windsock said:
Drool over this! Irvins and other RAF kit at a storage shed intended for use by the AAF 1943

D_015115-Copy.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Alan Eardley said:
I live next door to RAF Stafford which from 1938 until 2007 was the main RAF Maintenance Unit (MU) stores in the UK. It is so big that that no-one really knows what is in some of the more remote sheds. Things used to turn up all the time - the BBMF were regular customers!

There are persistent local rumours that there is a shed or at least a crate full of flying clothing hidden away somewhere. These are confirmed by people who have served there for decades.

Recently the RAF moved out and the Signals and Ghurkas moved in. The site is being systematically cleared. Just in case the rumours are true, I have a spy in the camp...

Alan

That could yield some very interesting stuff indeed..... what kind of value would be placed on an unissued late war Irvin in about a size44 these days!?

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Here's another one I quickly scanned. This is Eleanor Roosevelt visiting the 4th FG in '42. As well as the Irvin and of interest, note the variety of uniform and flying kit (remember most of these men served with the RAF Eagle Squadrons)...

4thFG.jpg

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
The 'cross-over' of flying gear between the 'Eagle Squadrons' and the regular RAF chaps is interesting (it probably forms the basis of the myth that the USAAF and RAF used to share flying clothing as there was not enough to go around!)

The man on the left is wearing a M1941 field jacket and the next guy seems to have a M1938 Parsons jacket. There is a famous photograph of EAW Smith (RAF) wearing a similar Parsons jacket.

Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe