Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Irony in the misconception that people who wear fedoras look ridiculous

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
But I certainly do feel ridiculous, hunting down the street for a blown off fedora - just to pick the dripping corpse out of a pool, as soon as the friendly and excusing taxi-driver has removed his vehicle! I also don't like to send my nice old fedoras 5-10 times to the gallows (wind-trolley) a day. Living in this climate I would drown or hang several fedoras from October to April each year, if I didn't spare them on the worst days.

At least an 8-panel or 8-dart cap won't bring me in that sort of stupid situations. It may make me look ridiculous, but to my mind not more than a fedora. Anyway, who cares ... except for the ever riding "Mounted Attire Patrol"? [huh]

Last edited:

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Ole, I've had the distinction of chasing a Panama for an awful long way down the bloody street.

Amazing how they can get balanced on the brim and pick up serious speed rolling along.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
For really cold and windy weather I ditch the fedoras in favor of tweed flat caps with thinsulate lining and drop down rabbit fur ear flaps. Very toasty. In bitter cold the fashion cops tend to zip it up and even if they were to comment I would laugh right in their face.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
David, and the cool-factor slides around in the bottom of your shoes! "He's not my real dad - just somebody, I'm taking care of." ... then you know, you picked the wrong headgear for the day :D

Last edited:

-30-

A-List Customer
Actually, truth be known, (Just where did that ridiculous saying come from anyway?) whether the weather be

fair or foul, if it ain't Hat Weather, I just stay at home.

End of Story.

Regards,
J T

...Newsboy cap - I do not have experience with these, but I'd guess that they wouldn't keep my head warm in Winter (correct me if I'm wrong), and anyway, I'd also guess that the those who mock the wearing of fedoras would mock the wearing of newsboy caps equally as much...
I can't speak for BB caps, but newsboys and their brothers, the flat cap, will most certainly keep your head warm!
I concur with Shangas--my newsboy caps keep my head warm just as well as my fedoras. That said, it should be noted that I live in the Los Angeles area of southern California where we don't experience the extreme winter weather that most of the U.S. does.

With regards to the original question, I don't think irony has anything to do with it; it's simply a matter of personal preference and necessity. If I lived in a part of the country in which it was an absolute necessity to wear something to protect my head from the elements, I really wouldn't care what it was, or how it looked, as long as it got the job done.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I can't speak for BB caps, but newsboys and their brothers, the flat cap, will most certainly keep your head warm!

+1. I've Fedora's (cheap and fine), Newsies, Watchcaps etc... I wear what suits me and what the weather allows. Today it's a Sterlingwear Peacoat, black wool scarf, grey trousers and my Steel Grey Custom CRM Fedora. If it were windy, I'd a went Newsie, if it was 15 degrees colder, wool cap. It's best not to overthink these things.

Worf

jhe888

One of the Regulars
Those who think fedoras look ridiculous aren't making an argument that they don't help one keep one's head warm, so meeting the claim of a silly appearance with counterarguments about warmth miss their point. It isn't an argument that addresses the claim.

Of course, fedoras do not look ridiculous, but it has nothing to do with the weather.

cchgn

One of the Regulars
To my mind, the popular misconception that people who wears fedoras make themselves look ridiculous is deeply ironic.

Do you agree or disagree with my argument?

I think it's all in your head (or ON your head...:rolleyes:)! Moreover, why do you feel you know what everyone else is thinking. There are folks who like them, folks who don't, like everything fashion-wise.

I have, as you will, come to a point in my life where I don't bother myself with such concerns, if I ever did. I hold sufficient confidence in my attire that such thoughts don't occur. Ever. I DO, however, dress in decorum for the day/meeting/event/job, whathaveyou. I wouldn't wear a puggareed Panama to funeral any more than I'd wear a Homburg to the beach.

Do what's right for the situation.

Ole's right!

-30-

A-List Customer
"any more than I'd wear a Homburg to the beach. "
QUOTE: hatsRme.

And just what is wrong wearing a Homburg at the beach?!

Regards,
J T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe