Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ironing rayon/gabardine shirts?

Hugh Beaumont

One of the Regulars
YETI said:
They just don't make rayon/wool gabardine like they used to. I was wondering if it's because of that Dupont factory burning down. Or was it a family mansion that kept the formula that burned. Aloha shirts were never the same after that. And even the Sun Surf ones from Japan can't compare to vintage.
nice shirt, btw

Agreed. I was going to write a book for Schiffer about 15 years ago about Post war shirts and while doing my research, found that it was because of the Dupont factory burning down, taking the original Rayon formula with it :(

Rayon was never the same.

YETI

A-List Customer
Hugh Beaumont said:
Agreed. I was going to write a book for Schiffer about 15 years ago about Post war shirts and while doing my research, found that it was because of the Dupont factory burning down, taking the original Rayon formula with it :(

Rayon was never the same.
It was actually the silky rayon that could never be replicated. It was a certain formula used to make the material that was lost in the fire. I have a deadstock 40s rayon dress/sport shirt which I believe is made from the same rayon. It does feel like silk only sturdier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld