Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Introduction

Jase

New in Town
Hi I'm Jason, from Portsmouth, England. I was directed to this site after searching for info about Akubra hats.

Due to my job I'm normally seen in a 1946 silk plush Scott & Co top hat or a chauffeurs cap! 3 guesses at what I work as!

I'm 24, but try to stray away from the normal fashions for people my age. At formal events I'll always be seen in a three piece suit and sporting a double Albert pocket watch chain. But I've decided to start looking at accessorising by adding a few hats to my collection. Really fond of the Akubra Fed IVs, but keen to browse the topics on the forums before jumping in and making my first purchase!

Anyway thank you all, I'm looking forward to browsing the forums Ana hopefully contributing where I can.

babygirl...

One of the Regulars
Thanks S.C.! and Welcome to all you guys that are new too..I guess it is ok to greet the one's that joined after me right? [huh]:D

babygirl...

One of the Regulars
Gezzzzz Walley Thanks for the greeting!, I feel like I stepped into the Leave it to Beavers house but a little bit cooler if that is possible.. LOL! or the Waltons!! love those old shows when shaking hands meant everything and bread and butter meant food not money**

Killick

One of the Regulars
I am also introducing myself to the community. I'm Mark, a 57 year old, old goat. As with Phillip I am also looking to update my style. No better way to start than with a nice hat. Or than with the era of style, 30's, 40's, & 50's. (Wearing your baseball cap sideways isn't style).

Love the forum rules. I belong to an auto forum that the Off Topic forum can and does get pretty mean spirited. Nothing I've seen here comes close.

Anyway, I hope to learn, (already have lurking), and contribute. Going to have fun here I know.

I've ordered an AF, learning of his excellence from the forum.

SR-71

New in Town
Another new guy reporting in. Typically into vintage Stetson and Resistol cowboy hats... But starting to love Fedoras. Got my eye on a Few if the price is right. Been lurking a while, this is a great place.

--Damon

SR-71

New in Town
Another new guy reporting in. Typically into vintage Stetson and Resistol cowboy hats... But starting to love Fedoras. Got my eye on a Few if the price is right. Been lurking a while, this is a great place.

--Damon
Vintage to me is probably not the same as most of you guys... Lol. I mistakenly thought 1970-80 would be vintage. Lol

;). I am learning though.

babygirl...

One of the Regulars
:welcome: SR-71! Technically 70's-80 is considered vintage but since I was born in the 70's...well ya know? I'm stickin with the 20's/30's as being vintage..

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Technically the word "vintage" can and should not be used, describing hats. It's a word taken from the wine-industry, and there it's not a designation of the age of the wine. A wine is not "vintage", but it can be a "vintage 1948" or a "vintage 1987". It tells you, that the wine was produced only from grapes harvested in that extra good year for that specific type of wine in that specific area.

Used on items like hats, brassieres or cars, the word has no defined meaning. Most often it's supposed to mean something like "made before today", but the word is wide open for interpretations ... it simply has no official definition outside the wine-industry.

On the other hand, it's a wonderful word to a seller. It sounds really nice, but it has no meaning, so the seller can never be accused of lying - no matter how old the stuff is ;)

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
It has become a more generic useage word than just in the vinyard sense, course it should be ex. Vintage 1940's hats

You are right, another and even more meaningless useage. One could say, it has gone "From vinyard sense to non-sense". How old is a vintage item? As old as you like ;)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Re:Vintage.....

Over the years I've found that the consensus of antique dealers is that antique is 100+ years and vintage is 50+ years. The U.S. Customs Service set the antique number but nobody seems to know where the vintage number came from.

According to the dmv of the great state of Alabama 25 years + is vintage, for vehicles at least.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
"previously enjoyed"

Well, I guess that's what we call "divorced". But after all ... I'm just European :D

Over the years I've found that the consensus of antique dealers is that antique is 100+ years and vintage is 50+ years

That may be true in Hollywood, but I guess this forum is supposed to be international. In many countries you haven't even got a parallel to the word "vintage" - other than the original meaning of the word. Anyway, it seems like English spoken people haven't got a common conception of the word, either. At least it seems like California and Alabama disagree on the matter, when it comes to cars ... and with "quite a few" procent ;)

The question is still: "How old is a vintage hat?" - and the answer is still: "Exactly as old as you like!".

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe