Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Introduction

Alon

One of the Regulars
Hello, everyone!

I somehow found my way here from the website Dandyism.net and I've already read through several threads. I'm looking to buy a real fedora (I have one woolen in the style of Indiana Jones) and, being a Canadian, am thinking of Biltmore. How does their quality compare to other brands?

If you're familiar with the old British TV comedy Jeeves & Wooster (based on the Wodehouse novels), I'd love to get a fedora in the style Wooster usually wears. The brim seems quite wide, at least 2.5", I think, and the crown fairly high. Suggestions?

dostacos

Practically Family
not sure which is which, however it looks like one wears a bowler and the other either wears a Fedora [not unlike a good Indy style] or newsboy cap.

Not being Canadian eh, I am not up on buying hats in the great white north.;) I have seen posts that tell me you guys can get hosed on imports and customs.

having said all that, you REALLY cannot go wrong with an Art Fawcett hat. AND welcome to the Lounge

Dan {waiting to buy an Art Fawcett;) }

Marty M.

Vendor
Welcome wagon & Art's the best.

Welcome Alon, Bertie's Fedora does have a lot of attitude to it. It reminds me of a Borsalino. I agree with dostacos about a hat from Art Fawcett. For the price of a well crafted off the rack hat like a Borsalino, you could have a hat made by a true artist (and good guy) like Art.
Here I sell Borsalino's at my shop and I'm telling you to go buy from Art. I'm a terrible salesman.
Marty Mathis

Alon

One of the Regulars
Thank you for the welcome, everyone!

I actually looked through several Jeeves & Wooster clips on YouTube and realized that Bertie wears many different styles, so I'm at a bit of a loss now.

I do really like the style of the winter white Biltmore posted by Carter a few days ago. There's a haberdashery in the city that only sells Biltmores and they carry one very similar to that but in light gray. I do love the Art Fawcett hats, particularly the Jazzman style... then the question is, do I have the patience to wait and save money for the VS Jazzman, or hop right in and buy the Biltmore (about a third of the cost)? Decisions, decisions!

What colour do you suggest for formal occasions, to go along with a black or dark gray suit?

tandmark

One of the Regulars
Howdy,

Welcome to the Fedora Lounge, Alon!

Since you've specifically asked about the quality of Biltmore hats, here's my experience with them. The one Biltmore porkpie I've bought has been quite well made. Many compliments come my way every time I wear it, too.

As I recall, Biltmore labels some of their hats as 'Eleganza.' These use higher quality felt.

If you search the Lounge for mentions of the word 'Biltmore,' you'll probably find some posts by one Lounger (can't recall the name) who runs a hat shop with an online presence. He has said in his posts that Biltmores are high quality.

Another hat shop I've dealt with online (Miller Hats) has contracted with Biltmore to make at least some of the shop's own brand of hats.

So my sense is that choosing a Biltmore is a great way to make the plunge into the world of Real Felt Hats. :)

If you're keen to buy a high-end Canadian fedora, a Biltmore should be, from what I can see, your best bet. I've also got a Tilley Endurables fedora that I like quite a bit, but it's not in the same league as that Biltmore porkpie mentioned at the start of this post.

Cheers,
Mark

Yohanes

One of the Regulars
Welcome to the Lounge!

I don't know much about biltmore, but I believe they provide hats for "Good Shepherd" movie. You may want to watch it, plenty of hats, it's Biltmore display! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld