Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Insane 'Holy Grail' houndstooth jacket

It is astonishing. On my watch list for sure, just to see what it goes for. I LOVE the fact that they've located an ad for this brand, too.

There is a holy grail jacket (very early 1900s Norfolk coat) in a London vintage shop right now. I am trying to pluck up the courage to buy it (it's very expensive).

bk

Fidena

One of the Regulars
It is astonishing. On my watch list for sure, just to see what it goes for.

There is a holy grail jacket (very early 1900s Norfolk coat) in a London vintage shop right now. I am trying to pluck up the courage to buy it (it's very expansive).

bk

There's an incredibly nice belted knickers suit up on ebay. It's at around 600. Is that reasonable?

resortes805

Call Me a Cab

I'm not convinced that it will. This style of jacket (it is essentially a prototypical hollywood jacket) has never been that popular among those interestedin '30s attire. It is too sporty for the workwear crowd who are usually willing to shell out the big bucks. It is too old for the rockabilly crowd. The only group of folks who I would imagine to be interested would be vintage enthusiasts who gravitate towards the forties, and for the most part, they are notoriously stingy (myself included).

That is a lovely suit, and the date in the auction seems accurate (prob 20s, I'd say). But it is a child's suit. An older child, granted … but still for a teenager. It's even too small for me, which is saying something. So, the price might seem a little high for anyone other than a museum. I bought a similar one (though not with Norfolk jacket; the jacket is DB), size 36, for about $100 a few years back.

For comparison, the Norfolk jacket in London is priced at £200 or so, and is approx size 37-38.

bk

Fidena

One of the Regulars
That is a lovely suit, and the date in the auction seems accurate (prob 20s, I'd say). But it is a child's suit. An older child, granted … but still for a teenager. It's even too small for me, which is saying something. So, the price might seem a little high for anyone other than a museum. I bought a similar one (though not with Norfolk jacket; the jacket is DB), size 36, for about $100 a few years back.

For comparison, the Norfolk jacket in London is priced at £200 or so, and is approx size 37-38.

bk

Oh! Do you still have the double breasted norfolk suit? Those are a favorite of mine, I'd love to see a picture or two of it.

rVlyo.jpg

Something like this?

Last edited:

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

O.K., maybe I'm an uncultured slob, but that's the most GAWD awful looking thing I've seen lately. Who would have worn such a thing and where would they have worn it? I don't see Humphrey Bogart, John Wayne, Ron Reagen, or Cary Grant in it for example.

Later

repeatclicks

Practically Family
Pardon my saying so, but in my humble opinion, that jacket is tacky as hell! As bad as the 'end of day' rayon gab shirts from the 1940s made mostly by the 'Knockaround' brand. I still sorta dig those though, but I could never wear it.

knockaround.jpg

Last edited:

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes, you would have. This is classic Hollywood leisure. Not for the insecure and faint of heart.

Hi

I don't suppose that you have any pictures? I MIGHT believe John Wayne, maybe Sinatra, but NOT Cary Grant fashion icon. Those are worse that the worst leisure suit. I realize that they're actors and all, but....

Later

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
I dunno, Cary Grant has made some really odd sartorial choices... like ill-fitting Palm Beach suits, and sports coats buttoned to the neck.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Hi

O.K., maybe I'm an uncultured slob, but that's the most GAWD awful looking thing I've seen lately. Who would have worn such a thing and where would they have worn it? I don't see Humphrey Bogart, John Wayne, Ron Reagen, or Cary Grant in it for example.

Later

The Monte Beragon character (Zachary Scott) in Mildred Pierce.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe