Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Influence of Fashion on uniforms

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
My grandfather was in the Quartermasters Corps in WW I. He was able to get an enlisted man's uniform privately produced by a private tailor, made from officer's material. Apparently no big deal at the time. I doubt very much if this has been allowed for a long time in our modern military.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
For those in the UK (particularly in the Miidlands) a 'head-up' on chapals (as my Indian students insist it should be spelled) that are available from a guy called Rafiq who runs a shoe stall on Birmingham Market. Yesterday I bought from him a pair (imported from India) for 4.50 GBP. Considerably cheaper than the WPG versions. Thanks for the tip-off, students, you all get an 'A' in your term papers...

BellyTank said:
Chapplis...

...another Raj bastardisation.

"Chappals" is a common word for sandals, or shoes, in India.

Sounds like "Chupples".

B
T

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
For much...

...of history, uniforms were a militarized version of what civilians were wearing. As the 20th century wore on the move to purely functional outfits -- often borrowed from specialized outdoor wear became more prevalent.

Increasingly (at least field) uniforms are self consciously designed the way weapons are: to a set of functional requirements. The new Army and Marine uniforms are good examples of that with camouflage patterns based on research and garments made specifically to make body armor easier to wear.

For dress uniforms, heritage seems to be a larger driving factor than was the case previously.

donCarlos

Practically Family
I would look at this from the different perspective - What influence did uniforms have on fashion? That´s more obvious - men who came back home from a war were used to wear military clothing for past few years, so they adopted it to their civil lives.

As for the Hugo Boss SS uniforms, according to the wikipedia, the uniforms were designed by Karl Diebitsch, court designer of the SS, and manufactured in Boss´s factory, along with the SA and HY uniforms.
No matter what, the SS uniforms are the most beatiful uniforms ever, leaving their american counterparts of that time on second place.
edit: and they are a proof that brown shirt can be worn with black tie and black jacket :)

Cigarband

A-List Customer
Spitfire said:
If that's true, I will sign up right now - and get me one of these:
untitled-4.jpg

lol

Harry Flashman shows up EVERYWHERE!

DocMustang

One of the Regulars
Geesie said:
While uniforms are issued (enlisted) or purchased from authorized suppliers (officer), one can have a uniform made from better fabric and cut to a better fit than the lowest-bidder (but still expensive :mad: ) standard issue stuff. A lot of sailors will get dress uniforms made in Far East ports where the tailoring is good quality and cheap.

During the era preceeding and slightly after WWII many civilian firms produced military uniforms of various grades. Some were for common use but others were more of a "bespoke" quality. Brooks-Brothers had a long relationship with both the Navy and the Marine corps and many examples survive to the present.

Also during this era particularly in both Norfolk and San Diego there were dozens if not hundreds of tailors ready to make a set of "tailor made blues" for enlisted sailors. Tailors in San Diego as well as those in the far east were well known for putting "liberty cuffs", decorative inner sleve linings that were designed to be visible only when the sleves were rolled up, on their uniforms. These could be quite elaborate often incorporating embroidered dragons, mermaids and King Neptune's court.

At present there are a few options for the distinguished servive member. Marlowe-White makes high quality uniforms for both the Army and the Navy. They are one of the only sources of 100% wool dress and mess dress uniforms. Brooks-Brothers began making Navy dress blues again about 7 years ago. Their uniform is very high quality, exactly what you would expect. Abbott military tailors still makes exellent uniforms in Pensacola.

The option of getting uniforms made while overseas still exists. My father had his mess dress uniform made in Korea. And a freind of mine has had numerous uniforms made. When doing this however, one must be careful to not get too creative. Navy uniform regulations specify fiber content and shade for all uniforms. This will not stop me from having a set of "Choker" whites made of silk gabardine rather than polyester. Ill know the difference but I doubt anyone else will.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Edward said:
The black SS uniform was, of course, designed by Hugo Boss as we all know. Seems a very clear case of a fashion-house influencing a uniform look.

"The all-black uniform of the Nazi Schutzstaffel, a paramilitary force from 1932 until 1945, was designed by SS-Oberführer Prof. Dr. Karl Diebitsch and graphic designer Walter Heck."

B
T

hatguy1

One Too Many
...of history, uniforms were a militarized version of what civilians were wearing. As the 20th century wore on the move to purely functional outfits -- often borrowed from specialized outdoor wear became more prevalent.

Increasingly (at least field) uniforms are self consciously designed the way weapons are: to a set of functional requirements. The new Army and Marine uniforms are good examples of that with camouflage patterns based on research and garments made specifically to make body armor easier to wear.

I would agree with you - especially in regards to the USAF uniforms. The 1990s "airline pilot" USAF class A dress uniform was a classic (and disastrous example) of that. While the slicker trunk with no flap pockets etc maybe was an improvement, those ridiculous sleeve rings for rank insignia was a joke. The current US Army class A uniform harkens back more to the uniform blouse of the Civil War. But the camouflage pattern of all branches of service utility uniform looks like it came out of a dot matrix printer!

And while I'm at it, what happened to the military policy of traveling in class A or B uniforms? I travel frequently by air and I see USA, USAF & USMC personnel traveling in droves that look like they were plucked outta the desert a mere hours ago - sand camouflage utilities with desert combat boots, etc.

hatguy1

One Too Many
"The all-black uniform of the Nazi Schutzstaffel, a paramilitary force from 1932 until 1945, was designed by SS-Oberführer Prof. Dr. Karl Diebitsch and graphic designer Walter Heck."

While I pretty much despise everything about the Nazi SS, I have to say THAT was a damned sharp-looking uniform.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe