Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indy hat post em up

m0nk

One Too Many
If you want a hat that can take a lot of wear, you want the Henry over the Christy's.
It would be nice to see some more pics of either. Most of the threads I've looked at for either hat seem to have broken links to the pics or I can't view them for some reason. A side-by-side comparison would be awesome, though I doubt someone who bought the Henry would have one of the Christy's hats around. :D

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Don't know about the Christy, but there are a lot of pics of the Henry on John Penman's site (there is a link there to the photos on his Facebook page - just click on the grey or brown colours) as well as a thread dedicated to Henry's over at the COW forum.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
It would be nice to see some more pics of either. Most of the threads I've looked at for either hat seem to have broken links to the pics or I can't view them for some reason. A side-by-side comparison would be awesome, though I doubt someone who bought the Henry would have one of the Christy's hats around. :D

I forget if you need to register to view COW threads, but here's a whole thread on The Henry: http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34575

DJH

I'll Lock Up
If you have an interest in Indy hats, COW is the best resource.
Once you are in, you can also check out the great Garrison Hatters deal that is going on.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Yes, I believe you do. I may give it another shot; I tried once, they asked me to change my username request, and I never completed the process. I can't not be m0nk... it just wouldn't fit to have any other username.

COW is, IMHO, ridiculously over moderated. But as David says, if you want Indy hat info, it's the place. Although no pics of the Swerford though, Christy's is not highly regarded in those circles.

m0nk

One Too Many
I forget if you need to register to view COW threads, but here's a whole thread on The Henry: http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34575
Well, I finally got registered and checked it out. The pics look great and I've seen a few references to John Penman taking numerous measurements to get the sizing perfect when ordering from him, so I'm thinking that this is my choice. Thanks for the link! I'm sure, too, that there will be a whole lot more knowledge to gather from the site.

Henry Gondorff

A-List Customer
Thank you Gentlemen, there are really nice hats in this thread. I'll participate by posting these photos of my adVintage Temple Fedora:

Temple2.jpg

Temple1.jpg

PICT0129.jpg

Henry Gondorff

A-List Customer
Ronald, I don't think so - the hat fits perfectly and doesn't feel to small at all. But since I have a very big head (61(!)cm circumference) I do have problems to find hats that fit me. But with this one I don't have problems. Your Herbert Johnson is a great hat, too!

Ronald

New in Town
Alright. Wear it in good health! And thank you, I'm quite happy with my HJ. Might not be the best hat out there, but I wanted one for over ten years now so I finally bought it. Will get a much better high quality hat next year or so...

Henry Gondorff

A-List Customer
Interestingly AdVintage Fedora raised the prices for their handmade Fedoras. Fortunately I got mine for 209€. Last time I checked then it was 269€. I don't know if I would spend such an enormous price for a hat...

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I got my AB Henry a couple of days ago, and have been playing with it a bit. It's virtually brand new and is a very nice hat. Great texture, color, and quality. It was bashed (creased) with 'the turn' which I wasn't sure I liked when I first examined it, but have already grown to like after playing with, and wearing for a couple of days.

1015111752.jpg

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Well, here's one of those boring details I left out: I bought mine used, so I got it at what I consider a great price, and it took less than a week to receive it.

If you want a new one, there are two places to get it: the Adventurebilt Hat Co, http://www.adventurebiltdeluxe.com/henry.php and the Penman Hat Co. http://penmanhats.com/Adventuebilt__the_Henry.html

Adventurebilt has two locations, and I believe that only the European one makes the Henry. In the U.S., John Penman makes the Henry, so that's who I recommend you contact.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Indeed, in the US John Penman is the guy to get the Henry from.

From this page on his site the current price is $300.00.

I've been tempted from time to time myself, your one looks great Scotty!!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, DJ. I really wasn't planning on buying one because I am very happy with my Akubras. But I do scan the boards thinking that some gem in my size may come up for sale at a significantly reduced price. That's what happened here, so I bought it.

bendingoak

Vendor
Well, here's one of those boring details I left out: I bought mine used, so I got it at what I consider a great price, and it took less than a week to receive it.

If you want a new one, there are two places to get it: the Adventurebilt Hat Co, http://www.adventurebiltdeluxe.com/henry.php and the Penman Hat Co. http://penmanhats.com/Adventuebilt__the_Henry.html

Adventurebilt has two locations, and I believe that only the European one makes the Henry. In the U.S., John Penman makes the Henry, so that's who I recommend you contact.

Let me pop in and clear things up. The henry is a productions hat made for Steve Delk and Marc Kitter of Adventurebilt hat co. Im just the US and Canada resource. The Henry is made for these two gents using there sourced materials and there specs. The henry from both companies are the same hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe