Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indy hat post em up

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Tone said:
Thanks, DanielJ. That Camptown Fieldmaster looked great! :eusa_clap Did you end up trimming the brim? Looks like it's holding up VERY well through the ages.

Thanks Tone. That Fieldmaster is holding up great. Softened up real nice & has a shape I like now. Yes, I did trim the brim on it so it fit more proportionately to my face. I think the only thing I want to change on it now is the sweatband. The reeding is a wire & in the process of softening & distressing the hat the wire kinked & took the bell out of the sweatband. So now there are a couple of flat spots that allow the stitching to rest on the forehead. I'm going to have John handle that one for me. Other than that it's been one of my favorites.

How's that grey Traveler hat of yours holding up? I think it's the JPD right?

Cheers!

Dan

Nebraska Schulte

Familiar Face
HarpPlayerGene, Tone, DanielJones, Dixon, JPBales, Not_Bogart, and scottyrocks, (and anyone else I forgot), those are all excellent Indy fedoras--well done! :eusa_clap

Here are a few pics in my Crystal Skull AB in different settings:

Qumran Cave 4 (where most of the Dead Sea Scrolls were discovered):
QumrancaveIV2-2.jpg

Caphernaum:
DSCN1062-1.jpg

Back on the family farm; and professor gear
horse9-1.jpg
study15-2.jpg

best wishes,
Nebraska Schulte

Tone

A-List Customer
DanielJones said:
How's that grey Traveler hat of yours holding up? I think it's the JPD right?

Hi DanielJ,
I was out of town for a few.
The JPDs are doing fine (they won't die, actually.) I'm not sure which "Traveler" you're referring to since I never ordered an "Indiana Jones" airplane hat from Jimmy. I'm guessing that's where the term "traveler" comes into play? But if you're talking about the gray from a few years ago, it's doing just fine.

treclocatsday5.jpg

That's great to hear about the Camptown Fieldmaster holding up so well after all this time, too. I remember when you got that and know you actually DID wear that beyond a picture or two that whole time. If Jersey goes back into business I'll definitely kick some money his way for one since it's one of the few that has been legitimately proven as far as I'm concerned.

What's funny is that I always thought the brim was too much on the Fieldmasters (for an Indy hat and based on fan specs at the time) but I'd found I prefer having some brim to trim down rather than not having enough to begin with. Let's face it, you shouldn't have to C-Crown a hat in order to get it to look right simply because the brim was spec'd too short; especially when the block is supposed to provide a decent, authentic, "Indy" - center dent. ;)

But yes, the Pierces are still doing just fine and they get worn A LOT. Still.

While the Indy hat is neat, I also really like the neutrality (and the balance in proportion) of the Bushman. Another one that holds the "Indy" pinches really well - without screaming, "Look, I'm Indiana Jones!" :)
bushmansisterislands.jpg

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Tone said:
Hi DanielJ,
I was out of town for a few.
The JPDs are doing fine (they won't die, actually.) I'm not sure which "Traveler" you're referring to since I never ordered an "Indiana Jones" airplane hat from Jimmy. I'm guessing that's where the term "traveler" comes into play? But if you're talking about the gray from a few years ago, it's doing just fine.

treclocatsday5.jpg

That's great to hear about the Camptown Fieldmaster holding up so well after all this time, too. I remember when you got that and know you actually DID wear that beyond a picture or two that whole time. If Jersey goes back into business I'll definitely kick some money his way for one since it's one of the few that has been legitimately proven as far as I'm concerned.

What's funny is that I always thought the brim was too much on the Fieldmasters (for an Indy hat and based on fan specs at the time) but I'd found I prefer having some brim to trim down rather than not having enough to begin with. Let's face it, you shouldn't have to C-Crown a hat in order to get it to look right simply because the brim was spec'd too short; especially when the block is supposed to provide a decent, authentic, "Indy" - center dent. ;)

Hey tone, yeah when I say Traveler I'm meaning the grey lids. Appears the yours is holding up just fine.

And, as you said is has been worn for more than the back yard photo ops. They just don't always get photographed in action. Yes, more brim is better. The trimming is easier than I thought it would be, and as nit-picky as I am I'll do it in small increments until I get it how I like it. I did that both with the Fieldmaster & the Metropolitan.

Here is one below Horse Tail Falls up in the Columbia Gorge in Oregon. This was a great day hike just east of the Vista House on Crown Point.
100_2428.jpg

Here are a couple at the Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum in McMinnville, Oregon. The home of the Spruce Goose.
This one is outside next to a C47 Skytrain.
100_2341.jpg

And inside. this hat has done double duty as a field hat for surveying, & playing and as a semi dress hat when the occasion was called on.
100_2334.jpg

I too hope Ken will get up and going again. He managed to sell a decent hat at a decent price that holds up with the best of them because he chose the Winchester body for his lids. If he manages to open doors again I hope that he will do his "Noir" model of the Metropolitan. That black hat with the Indy bash would look slick.

Tone I always appreciated you sharing your information & your hats in the past, especially your Christy's hats. I know you caught a load of flack for that hat but I always thought you did a darn fine job with them. It was what I referenced when trying to futz with my Fieldmaster. My favorite though was that rabbit JPD that you had shown off. It looked like it got in a fight under an aircraft. Thank you for sharing again.

Cheers!

Dan

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
These are all great pictures of great Indy style bashes. Hopefully I'll be adding my own picture here soon. I've got a second Brown Federation IV on it's way to me solely for the purposes of going for an Indy bash and wearing it while hiking (is having 6 Federation IVs too much?:D ). I've been looking at everyone pictures here, seeing the details and hopefully I can get it right.

Nebraska Schulte

Familiar Face
FurFeltFedora said:
These are all great pictures of great Indy style bashes. Hopefully I'll be adding my own picture here soon. I've got a second Brown Federation IV on it's way to me solely for the purposes of going for an Indy bash and wearing it while hiking (is having 6 Federation IVs too much?:D ). I've been looking at everyone pictures here, seeing the details and hopefully I can get it right.

After seeing that impressive fleet of Fed IVs you have in the other thread, I'm sure you'll get a great looking Indy bash/crease into your new Fed. :eusa_clap I did a tighter, Raiders-esque pinch on my carbon gray Fed III, and it came out all right. But for me and my build, I think the looser pinch of the Crystal Skull movie works better (hence my AB). I found both to be very durable hats. I wore the AB for a dig outside of Jerusalem last summer (thanks to Steve Delk getting it to me early in time for the dig):
http://i520.photobucket.com/albums/w325/Nebraska_Schulte/DSCN0994.jpg
CIMG4923.jpg

I'm heading back to the dig next month as a member of the staff, so if there's interest, I might share some more pics when I get back.

best wishes,
NS

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
Definite interest NS, definite. The hat really suits you especially with those locations :)

I'm going for a Raiders look with the tighter crease. The looser pinch from Crystal is good too, but I just love tight creases :D Give me a week or so and it should be here and I'll post pics. I can already picture it now - Raiders on the plasma paused at just the right moment and me running back and forth from the kitchen where I'm steaming to the living room and back to the bathroom to look in the mirror. Should be fun.

Goose.

Practically Family
From the original post: "Calling all Indiana Jones nutters... "

Yep, it takes a nut, that's for sure. So, although no one has ever called me "Indy" when I wear my Feds, I'm a nut.

The Dark Brown was my first and a gal called me "Secret Squirrel" the first time she saw me with it. The name has somewhat stuck. Who the hell could confuse a Goose with a squirrel? Well, don't ask me as I can't really say what an "Indy bash" truly is...dunno what I dunno. What I do know is that these are the closest I have to perhaps qualifying for this thread (someone slap me and call me "Nancy" if I'm all wet)...

Anyway, posted in order received; Dark Brown, Moonstone, Black, Tawny Fawn, and Carbon:

530535341_Lb5XP-Th.jpg
514228783_3KHii-Th.jpg
534764376_ELiWc-Th.jpg
536694249_82zWk-Th.jpg
542770178_VQjux-Th.jpg

Nebraska Schulte

Familiar Face
Goose, those are some sharp looking fedoras. :eusa_clap I particularly like the look of the (from left to right) first, third, and last hats.
best wishes,
NS

Nebraska Schulte

Familiar Face
DanielJones said:
100_2428.jpg

And inside. this hat has done double duty as a field hat for surveying, & playing and as a semi dress hat when the occasion was called on.
100_2334.jpg

Dan, your photos here demonstrate exactly one of my favorite aspects of the "Indy style" of hat (just as you said): the same hat can be both rugged outside and dressy inside. :eusa_clap

best wishes,
Nebraska Schulte

Tone

A-List Customer
Thanks Daniel.

Uh oh,
Looks like Dorfman Pacific is trying to capitalize on the Federation IV style.
dorfmanfedivbash.jpg

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
Tone it's not even close. I have that fur felt DP and it's nothing like the Federation or an Indy hat despite that it's official Indy. It's not as tall as a Fed IV, it's quite tapered where both the Fed IV and the movie hats are not, the fur is stiff as cardboard and extremely thick, and if you want to get really picky the movie hats all have a center dent, the DP has a tear drop. I'm not trying to knock the DP, I'm just saying as an owner of one and 6 Fed IVs, it's nothing like a Fed IV.

Tone

A-List Customer
FurFeltFedora said:
and if you want to get really picky the movie hats all have a center dent, the DP has a tear drop.

That's not "really" picky at all. That's one of the basic distinctions in the first place. I'm guessing, the majority of Indy's submitted here have a center dent. The teardrop's been a default of Dorfman's Indy for years. It's interesting that the Fed IV almost always ends up in a teardrop, I've noticed. I'm not knocking Akubra's felt (I've had a few myself - two Fed IIIs; Adventurer, Bushman, etc. All of those with a center dent, of course. I don't know if it's "Indy" so much as I really like how the hats form out with a center dent in them.)

But yes, you are right. That is one of the distinctions.

hats2.jpg

Center-
bushmanraiders0201ayv3.jpg

Well, there's always an exception, I guess. :) Weird. This hat has a slight degree of taper AND a hint of a teardrop.
centerdent1.jpg

I'm still not condoning the DP in comparison to any model of Akubra, but...the DP seems pretty accurate (heightwise, too) for that "one" split-second scene in "Last Crusade." lol

Still, it doesn't matter if it's tear-dropped shorter; super-wide; or a good rendition to the actual film hats; it's still the spirit behind wearing it and these pictures are great examples, guys!

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
You are right Tone, if there was a movie match it would be from the Last Crusade. I'm not as into Indy as the guys over at COW (Club Obi-Wan) but I've always loved the movies and when I got into hats I did a little research. One of the problems with trying to match a hat like Indy's from the movies is that each movie had a different hat (material, style, etcetera) and like Superman's cape some of them were different for different shots. So for me, an Indy bash is the Raiders bash - center dent with high tight crease and deep triangular side dents. At the end of the day, I think it's all about having fun with your hat :)

Oh yeah, I think one reason why so many Fed IVs end up with a tear drop crease is that a lot of people (myself included) don't like the hat super high, that kind of crease pulls the overall height down a little more than just a center dent.

Tone

A-List Customer
FurFeltFedora said:
Oh yeah, I think one reason why so many Fed IVs end up with a tear drop crease is that a lot of people (myself included) don't like the hat super high, that kind of crease pulls the overall height down a little more than just a center dent.

Yeah, I agree. The hat shouldn't look that tall even with the tight pinch. But that's the beauty of Akubras; their range of open-crowned models have something for everyone - and the color range is slowly expanding to other stuff.

Eh, here's another "field" pic, btw.

outandaboutjpd.jpg

DanielJ,
Sorry, man. I forgot to mention that a Camptown "Noir" does sound SWEET!

Goose.

Practically Family
Tone said:
... It's interesting that the Fed IV almost always ends up in a teardrop, I've noticed. I'm not knocking Akubra's felt (I've had a few myself - two Fed IIIs; Adventurer, Bushman, etc. All of those with a center dent, of course. I don't know if it's "Indy" so much as I really like how the hats form out with a center dent in them.)

But yes, you are right. That is one of the distinctions. ......
I'm still not condoning the DP in comparison to any model of Akubra, but...the DP seems pretty accurate (heightwise, too) for that "one" split-second scene in "Last Crusade." lol

Still, it doesn't matter if it's tear-dropped shorter; super-wide; or a good rendition to the actual film hats; it's still the spirit behind wearing it and these pictures are great examples, guys!
Hi Tone...
As a novice, I look forward to the posts from persons here that are indeed "picky" (different than "snobby"). How else to learn? If the emperor has no clothes, I appreciate those that say so. Simple things that many take for granted are important. Such as my wondering what the definition of "stingy" means...Art replied, so now I know. Some of you have truly forgotten more than I will ever learn. I respect and appreciate that.

A bit off topic, but somewhat related given the perspective why I could not pull off a "true" Indy lid based in what I am learning here. Would really like a center dent, but I can't do it. My head is too big. No foolin'. My Homburg and Hampton both have a bit of a "telescope" lump due to my noggin. Perhaps a reason why I started to wear hats...camouflage.

Well, point of this post is that I, for one, appreciate learning of the nuances of hats. So you gentlemen keep on being specific...ok with at least me.

Regards,
Herman Munster.

230927891_hKsJX-S.jpg
556472615_EozXK-S.jpg

Nebraska Schulte said:
Goose, those are some sharp looking fedoras. :eusa_clap I particularly like the look of the (from left to right) first, third, and last hats.
best wishes,
NS
Thank you NS. While I may change the line up of which I prefer from day to day, the Dark Brown (1st in the lineup) continues to be ichiban to me as well.

kiltie

Practically Family
Goose -
Com'on man, you don't look anything like Herman Munster. I mean, first of all, you don't have a scar on your forehead, and then there's...well, you don't have a scar on your forehead...and...uuuhhh... there's, uh... no scar...and...

Tone -
The Bushman is Awesome! I don't know that I'd have the nerve to trim off that bound brim, but it's a great block shape and the color of yours is really nice. Most of the "cowboy" sorta Akubras have a neat blockshape. I wonder why it is that Akubra favors the more "vintage-y" blocks than most others ( save the classic Borsalino lines...)

Here is my Fed IV which I have to admit I was shooting for something a la Crystal Skulls:

IMG_0852.jpg

I'd done a couple of Raiders hats ( an Akubra Adventurer [my first attempt], and two Christys' Adventurers ;) ) and I was looking to do something a little more Town and Country Indy. Unfortunately, this hat doesn't get a lot of airtime due, ironically, to the exact reason I bought it. If I'm gonna "Indy it up", I put on the AkAd or the Christys', and if I'm spiffing up ( not to be confused with spliffing up ), I usually go with on of the nicer vintage I've had the very good fortune of getting a hold of. So this poor guy is sorta left in "no hat land".
It's a really nice hat though, and the felt is much finer in the lower end line than earlier Akubras I own ( save for the one old "Digger" I have - WHEW! That's some cool felt! ). I really oughta come up with more reasons to wear it.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Nebraska Schulte said:
Dan, your photos here demonstrate exactly one of my favorite aspects of the "Indy style" of hat (just as you said): the same hat can be both rugged outside and dressy inside. :eusa_clap

best wishes,
Nebraska Schulte

Thank you sir, most appreciated.:)

Tone said:
DanielJ,
Sorry, man. I forgot to mention that a Camptown "Noir" does sound SWEET!

Doesn't it though? I would hope that he used his Legend block for it to get some good height out of the crown & add a touch more material for those DIY folks. But I think that would look fantastic with either a navy pinstripe suit or a black tux. It still could carry that Indy "spirit".
Lets just keep our fingers crossed & hope for the best for him.

Cheers!

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe