Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Incandescent bulbs bye bye + cartoon!

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
I just thought the cartoon was funny, I didn't want to open a political discussion.

I've been using the CFLs for years and my kid hasn't started doing drugs yet.

Orgetorix said:
Well, I agree with you. I'm generally in favor of a small, limited government. But to be realistic, there has always been government intrusion, and past forms might be quite shocking to people today.

For example, suppose you had lived in the 18th century. If your neighbor's house was burgled, there would have been no police force to investigate the crime and find the culprit. The sherriff would have had the right to call on you to leave your job, supply your own weapon, horse, food, and supplies, and join a posse to catch the thief. If you refused, you'd be subject to a fine or jail time, and there'd be a reward for whichever of your neighbors brought you in, using just about any force necessary. And if you had been killed in the posse, well, that's just the risk you take doing your duty as a citizen.

Governments have always intruded on citizens' lives. That they choose to do so (most of the time) in ways that don't threaten life, limb, or property is somthing for which we should be thankful.

I think we are expanding this topic too far into the political arena. Let's keep it on the CFL junk. ;)

Regards,

J

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Fluorescents

Another annoying thing about fluorescents is that you can't use a dimmer on them. But LED's are coming. They have an obnoxious glare to them at this point, but they'll improve.
As much of a lefty as I am, I have to agree with all the "stop the government mucking about in things where they don't belong" rhetoric, wholeheartedly.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
I have dimmable ones now. They won't work in most chandeliers but they should work in lamps. In the alst few years the price has dropped by more htan half and the bulbs have improved vastly. Some of my heaviest use lights use CFLs and they've been in since we bought the house two years ago, so we'll see how long they last.

Incidentaly I'm enjoying the irony of koopkooper's stand against being messed with in this thread while being all for government mandated elevator music in another thread.

Given what we now KNOW about global warming and given that we know that energy over-use can do things like, oh knock out power to the two most populated provinces in Canada and most of the American North East, if someone tells me I can save enregy by using CFLs, I'm game. If anyone ever, ever told me what music I could listen to or when, or what books I could read or anything of the sort I'd burn down their house.

Rosie

One Too Many
The REAL question here is, what will happen to the Easy Bake Oven?
easybakeoven.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82