Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In praise of non-vintage classics

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
I love reading about and seeing all the vintage items here. The posts are fascinating and well written. I can't tell you all how much I've learned.

However, there is something to be said for new things made in the classic style. My wardrobe is 100% new, as practically everything we have, but nearly everything is a classic design.

When I buy new I encourage, in a small way, manufacturers to continue to make the things I (we?) like. There is a wonderful feeling in opening that box and seeing something new that no one else has ever worn or used.

What are your favorite brand new items in the classic style? No fair cheating with dead stock!!!

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Like Mid-fogey, most of my wardrobe is modern stuff with vintage style.

One of my favorite modern classic style item is my George brand trousers:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=24797

And this neat little aluminum butane lighter I got at Kum and Go. It even has a tiny flash light!
DSCN0614.jpg

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
All of my hats are new and made by Art to fit my oversized noggin'. My Aero A-2 is less than 3 years old and I've a bespoke 40s style three piece suit which my tailor should hopefully be calling me any day to come and pick up. Japanese Levi's LVC 1937 model,1955 model ,so far. I have a few vintage items:mainly ties,a couple of pairs of trousers and a few jackets-the rest:like you,new but in the classic style (or so I think).

Edward

Bartender
Benny Holiday said:
The Akubra Stylemaster fedora. Classic style mixed with hard wearing durability and quality.

:) Very similar to me - I was gonig to say my Akubra Fed Deluxe, which I'm still very newly fangled with. :) I'm another one of the folks who finds that vintage in my size is scarce and expensive, so reproduction in vintage style is where it's at for me. Hopefully a whole bunch of suits will follow....

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
I have a few new classics that I wear often and love!

The funny thing is, all of the items are still secondhand.

I have two Banana Republic sweaters that are high-quality, simple and soft. I wear one of them almost every day in the winter, just because it matches everything in my wardrobe, whether it be a pair of cigarette-leg jeans or a vintage pencil skirt.

I have a Gap pencil skirt that I like to wear; it's black and pinstriped. The thing is, I'm not sure how it's supposed to fit me! It seems to be cut to fit BELOW the waist, but everytime I pull it down, it rides back up again. It's way too baggy at the top to fit my waist...so I usually just wear it a little above my hips and pull it down all day. I keep meaning to tailor it...:eusa_doh:

I also found a faux-fur winter hat at TJ Maxx last year with a very classic feel to it. I love it!

GregNYC

One Too Many
This is a great idea, and one that I've been following for some years now. It's very hard to find good condition vintage in my size. So I look around for various items and articles that are made in the classic style, with old-skool materials and construction where possible. Here are some examples, which have a distinct blue-collar workwear slant, as I don't wear suits or ties too much. I haven't looked so haven't found a place that makes dress shirts the old way:

Trousers: Buzz Rickson khakis, or Bills. For jeans, LVC (Levis Vintage Clothing).

Shirts: Carhartt Sandstone Twill Shirt, Buzz Rickson or WWII Impressions Navy chambray shirt, and if I must, Brooks Brothers or J. Press slim fit.

Jackets: Real McCoys New Zealand, Buzz Rickson

Shoes: Crocket & Jones, Red Wings, Alden, White's

Watch: Not vintage but new - IWC Big Pilot (WWII inspired), Breitling Navitimer (50's era), Rolex Sub (also 50's-60's).

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Florsheim Imperial Kenmoor Long Wing wingtip shoes ... as heavy and sturdy as combat boots. They take a shine very easily. I have the knobbled grain leather, but that's only my preference. Solid as a rock. They are somewhat pricey ($225) but aside from my Red Wings boots and various pairs of combat boots I have had, they are the most solid shoes I have ever worn. And they're wingtips ... there is nothing nicer, in my book.

The Shirt

Practically Family
I'm an Anthropologie fan. I'd say my wardrobe is 50/50. Funny whenever someone I know asks me where I got my shirt/skirt/etc. they assume it's vintage a good percent of the time.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
None of this is vintage except the hat:

17jan08.jpg

T-shirt: $14 at Sheppard AFB in Wichita falls, TX.
Sweater: $4.98 at Target.
Jacket: $30 At Burlington Coat Factory.
Jeans: $12.95 (Dickies 9393, 14 oz rigid indigo denim, high rise regular fit) at Travis AFB. I refuse to spend on jeans what I would on a suit, especially when I treat jeans the way they should be treated. I beat the hell out of them.
Ankle Boots: $35 at the military antique shop that I work at, Avirex circa 1978, when they actually made quality stuff, and in the U.S.

Edward

Bartender
Wingnut.... I don't have the expert eye of some round here, but to me you've got a great vintage-inspired casual look there. Just shows it can be done on a budget!

de Stokesay

One of the Regulars
KeyGrip said:
I just checked out Florsheim after your comments, and I like what I see. Do you know where the shoes are made?

I believe they used to be made in the States but are now made in India. I could be mistaken though.

I have had mine, and worn them almost daily since 1997 and they are still going strong. Shortly after getting them I had thin rubber glued on the bottom of the leather soles to prevent wear as I tend to walk a great deal on pavement. I have only ever needed to replace this rubber from time to time which costs about $20.

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
Classic fashion still on the market?

I'm quite happy with my London Fog Trenchcoat. No, there's no grenade rings on the belt and the gunflaps are purely decorative, but the coat itself is an honest ancestor of the originals.

US Wings safari jacket. It has the elements I look for. The only thing I might want for is the same coat in linen, but for rugged fieldwear, the US Wings safari or bush jacket does the job with flying colors and may as well have been dropped from a 40's era cliffhanger serial.

I suppose I should mention spats (I have a reputation to maintain) so I'll mention Spatterdash.com, and no, I'm not associated with them in any way. Frankly, I don't care for their modern, flashy fabrics, but honestly they are preserving spats as a fashion option. No, there's no buckling understrap, no decent curvature or height in the cut, no traditional pallette of colors, but a couple of the spats they offer (such as the Cotton Club) aren't that far off. So, they receive honorable mention from a spat purist who wears bespoke spats.

Akubra. Open crowns, quality construction, timeless shapes and colors. 'Nuff said.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
de Stokesay said:
Shortly after getting them I had thin rubber glued on the bottom of the leather soles to prevent wear as I tend to walk a great deal on pavement. I have only ever needed to replace this rubber from time to time which costs about $20.

Me too. Good deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld