Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If I could,..............(What business would you start)???

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
missjoeri said:
i already have a dreamjob (historical consultant) but I still dream of owning my own bar/club.
Of course the whole theme would be late 1930s.
During the day it would be a tea-salon or cafe, people can come in for a cup of tea, coffee or a soda with cake or a bisquit.
Everything would look late 1930s, from the cups, the napkins, the waitress and of course a old radio would be playing old music and broadcasts all day.
In the corner there would be a phonebooth, people can use that phone but more importantly, if they have to use their mobile phone, they will be asked to get into that booth.

In the evening we the place would be turned into a nightclub, the stage will have a band, people can dance, drink, etc.

you're an historical consultant? that's sounds amazing; i've been looking at your photos where you've posted links and been wondering where you get your knowledge (now i know!). i think if i hadn't been a creative writing major, i'd focus on cultural history. fun!

missjo

Practically Family
sweetfrancaise said:
you're an historical consultant? that's sounds amazing; i've been looking at your photos where you've posted links and been wondering where you get your knowledge (now i know!). i think if i hadn't been a creative writing major, i'd focus on cultural history. fun!

Its the best job site ever, right now im making money telling people a bit about fashion in 1930, today I told archive researchers how to date 1930s homemovies (oh the treasures we saw!), etc, etc.
Its a lovely job, here my website; www.hab3045.nl
I need to update it badly though... :eusa_doh:

leaette

A-List Customer
I'd own a yarn store so I can pet yarn all day. And crochet all day too and noone would think I'm weird. Oh, and take field trips to alpaca and sheep farms so I can pet them too, and buy more yarn :)

yes...i'm addicted.

carter

I'll Lock Up
leaette said:
I'd own a yarn store so I can pet yarn all day. And crochet all day too and noone would think I'm weird. Oh, and take field trips to alpaca and sheep farms so I can pet them too, and buy more yarn :)

yes...i'm addicted.

Just think of the yarns you could spin when you tell others about your excursions to alpaca and sheep farms. ;)

leaette

A-List Customer
I would love to learn how to spin yarn. We went to a country type fair this weekend and there were quite a few spinners there for a demo. I watched them for awhile. It was so relaxing watching it.

But...a good spinner can cost you $1,000. And to be honest, I really don't need another hobby. I don't have time to do my main ones these days. My baby is VERY high maintence.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Not quite that bad!

LocktownDog said:
[huh] I'm not sure I want to know. Now I've got images in my head of a pretty gal who just happens to have 6 toes on one foot ... the left foot is a size 3, while the right is a size 10 ... a corn the size of Des Moines ... a strange and disturbing "Igor limp". But then I see your photo and I think, nah ... it can't be ... but she is sitting down ... and I can't see her feet. :eek:

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Richard

Just 6 1/2 EEE. Almost as wide as they are long. But cute! "Chico y ancho" as my hombre says...

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hey, I made it to the next level!

It now says "One of the regulars"!
Does anyone know... does that refer to the time we have been a member, or the frequency or number of posts? It is cryptic.

I'll have my usual, please.

manhattan.jpg

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
Okay I would own a vintage roadside motel with a big dreamy neon sign! Every room done in vintage 40's or 50's. Oh, and also an area with vintage trailers to rent. Kinda like the Shady Dell! (which I would love to visit someday)

OR

I would have my own ceramics studio and make pottery all day!

CdnDandy

Familiar Face
*bump*

Since smoking has been outlawed in the province, I would open a private members-only club for cigar and pipe smokers. Small, with dark wood everywhere and big leather armchairs. Ceiling fans with big wicker paddles. A selection of fine drinks, and free specialty coffee and tea. No cigarettes. Oh, and a dress code - nothing too strict, but no ball caps, no torn clothing, and no Edmonton Oilers jerseys ;)

CdnDandy

Familiar Face
missjoeri said:
Smoking outlawed?
What madness is that!

I can't say I'm against the smoking bad for places like restaurants, even bars. I can say I would prefer to let the market decide to kill the nasty habit. If enough people went to smoke-free bars and eateries, other joints would make the switch, and you'd eventually find fewer and fewer places that allowed you to light up. But that's a discussion for another day and another thread ;)

But the looniest part of the law here? No smoking on outdoor patios. So people here, in the summer months, will jump the rail of their favourite patio establishment, and smoke on the other side.

I just want somewhere to sit and quietly enjoy a cigar. :)

missjo

Practically Family
I think its okay to ban smoking in public indoor spaces but make it possible for some places to get a expensive special permit to allow smoking in their establishment.
For instance if I want to run a 1930s club I want to allow smoking and im willing to pay extra for that, install safety measures, extra air filters, whatever.
Just as long as my guests can be in a smokey nightclub.

Besids my 1930s magazine says smoking is healthy anyway :)

Copper

One of the Regulars
CdnDandy said:
Since smoking has been outlawed in the province, I would open a private members-only club for cigar and pipe smokers. Small, with dark wood everywhere and big leather armchairs. Ceiling fans with big wicker paddles. A selection of fine drinks, and free specialty coffee and tea. No cigarettes. Oh, and a dress code - nothing too strict, but no ball caps, no torn clothing, and no Edmonton Oilers jerseys ;)

Sign me up for membership #1, sir.

Were money no object, I would buy a Grumman Goose or Albatross and outfit her in classic style but definitely keep the round engines. That done, I would run a private charter service in the Caribbean... or perhaps around the Greek Isles or in some South Pacific Island group... Somewhere warm and interesting with a bit of style to it. I was deeply influenced by "Tales of the Gold Monkey" as a child.

Miss Brill

One Too Many
CherryRed said:
I would love to open a diner and serve all my granny's classic recipe's.

Mine would either be a diner (in a train car), or an antique store. Not a frilly "to the trade" antique store, but a real one with dust & cobwebs and things to rummage through.

Miss Brill

One Too Many
missjoeri said:
Smoking outlawed?
What madness is that!

Time to set up the smoke-easy!

Tennessee even banned smoking in public parks in 2007. :rolleyes: They've raised the cig tax & everyone started going across the state line to buy & now the FBI is having stake-outs looking for people buying more than the 2 cartons they are allowed to buy in other states. If they catch you, you'll be arrested & have your car taken away....just like people caught with drugs.

dandelion-vint

One of the Regulars
I love old fashioned, grandmom's secret recipes - bakeries and diners.

Not really a business, but I'd love to open a little non-profit historical society/museum in a little nearby town that I love.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
carter said:
A rural hotel where the accomodations are double-walled canvas tents on platforms.

Each tent to have a full bath, heating and air conditioning, electricity, and a well-appointed bedroom with king size bed and a seating area.

Each platform will have a deck with chairs and a hammock in the front.

Dining will be at the main facility, appropriate attire required, or room service can be arranged. There will be full beverage service available.

The tents are arranged throughout the property with well-groomed trails leading to each one. Some are more secluded than others.

Daily activities are hiking, fishing, riding, swimming, etc.

There is a library and bar at the main facility. There is no television.

This is a facility for someone who wants to get away from it all but cannot afford, or doesn't want, to go on safari.
Funny, Carter, I am working on just such an arrangement, with some differences, of course! My friend and I are trying to work out how we can build up a business of tours and wall tent camping around the mining history here in the Mojave. He's a miner with years of experience and knowledge, and I am an archaeologist with a speciality in historic archaeology. Between us we think we could offer a pretty good tour/demonstration. We are thinking of buying a homestead plot (5 acres) and setting up an area where I can demonstrate excavation techniques, discuss the types of diagnostic artifacts found on mining sites, and so forth. The only way I can stick a shovel into the ground without violating federal law is to do it on private land. On our plot I can lay everything out like it is a real site, and show people how to use a transit, lay out a unit, excavate and screen for artifacts, record levels, and everything else that really happens on a dig. I'll also discuss the history of archaeology in this area, such as the work of Elizabeth and William Campbell. All Golden Age in look and feel, too, of course! Pith helmets and khaki, all the way.

From there we go on a 4x4 tour of an old mining district with multiple abandoned Golden Age mines. My friend knows the history of many of the mines, and has collected stock certificates, mining paraphanalia, and all sorts of things to teach about the mines. We also have a mining claim where our folks can actually placer mine for gold using a dry washer and pans. (Yes, there is lots of gold out there, but in very small quantities.)

If that part goes well, we want to expand our tour options, and offer overnight stays in authentic mining era wall tents. We'll offer simple, chuck wagon style food, have a camp fire area, etc., and offer as authentic, informative, and adventurous experience we can.

Curt Dawson

Familiar Face
Mojave Jack said:
Funny, Carter, I am working on just such an arrangement, with some differences, of course! My friend and I are trying to work out how we can build up a business of tours and wall tent camping around the mining history here in the Mojave. He's a miner with years of experience and knowledge, and I am an archaeologist with a speciality in historic archaeology. Between us we think we could offer a pretty good tour/demonstration. We are thinking of buying a homestead plot (5 acres) and setting up an area where I can demonstrate excavation techniques, discuss the types of diagnostic artifacts found on mining sites, and so forth. The only way I can stick a shovel into the ground without violating federal law is to do it on private land. On our plot I can lay everything out like it is a real site, and show people how to use a transit, lay out a unit, excavate and screen for artifacts, record levels, and everything else that really happens on a dig. I'll also discuss the history of archaeology in this area, such as the work of Elizabeth and William Campbell. All Golden Age in look and feel, too, of course! Pith helmets and khaki, all the way.

From there we go on a 4x4 tour of an old mining district with multiple abandoned Golden Age mines. My friend knows the history of many of the mines, and has collected stock certificates, mining paraphanalia, and all sorts of things to teach about the mines. We also have a mining claim where our folks can actually placer mine for gold using a dry washer and pans. (Yes, there is lots of gold out there, but in very small quantities.)

If that part goes well, we want to expand our tour options, and offer overnight stays in authentic mining era wall tents. We'll offer simple, chuck wagon style food, have a camp fire area, etc., and offer as authentic, informative, and adventurous experience we can.
Hey,I used to live in the Apple Valley,Victorville area.My oldest son still lives in Apple Valley.I used to love to roam the desert.I hope to get out there this summer.I would be interested in visiting some of the old mines.

Curt Dawson

Familiar Face
Business

For me it would have to be a working mans gentlemans club(aka:strip joint).I am sure this will offend some and this is not my intention.But the question was asked and I am being honest.
Beer on tap.
Average girls.No beauty queens.No youngsters
Variety of snack foods.
Clean.
Music at a level that people can carry on a conversation.
Subdued lighting but not dark.;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld