Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ideas Thread for where the Large FL Yearly GTG should be.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Good idea John, and lets think about having it somewhere else than the ship. After two goes there, Im already bored with it.

I say New York!!! :D

Give our member on the other side of the country to show us the many cool things they have! :eusa_clap

LD

FedoraGent

One Too Many
My suggestion

Hello from SF!

My suggestion is that we have it on the other coast as I would really like to see it on the other side. There are some great venues out there, but if it were going to stay on this side...why not somewhere North either in Norcal or even Seattle? Great venues in both areas.

FG.

Vanessa

One Too Many
Lady Day said:
Good idea John, and lets think about having it somewhere else than the ship. After two goes there, Im already bored with it.

I say New York!!! :D

Give our member on the other side of the country to show us the many cool things they have! :eusa_clap

LD

Well, actually - it's tradition to have this event on the Queen Mary. We've had lots of other events - even some in New York - but those are other events. This is the event. Every November, I expect to meet up with people I may not have seen in a year - and I expect to meet them on the Queen Mary. How could that great ship ever be boring?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
And I get that, and I get that the name "Queen Mary Event" is for that ship. But, events of that magnitude, and celebrity in advertising the Fedora Lounge as an annual gathering can be done in other places.

But as Miss Neecerie suggested, this discussion is for another thread.

LD

FedoraGent

One Too Many

Agreed.

BTW, LD, I love your new avatar.

Lady Day said:
And I get that, and I get that the name "Queen Mary Event" is for that ship. But, events of that magnitude, and celebrity in advertising the Fedora Lounge as an annual gathering can be done in other places.

But as Miss Neecerie suggested, this discussion is for another thread.

LD

FedoraGent

One Too Many
Loungers,

In the Queen Mary thread, Miss Neecerie had suggested that someone open another thread where we could suggest and discuss the possibilities of other locations for our large Yearly FL GTG. I am hoping that the bartenders move the pieces of that discussion to this thread.

So, if we were going to have a large enough gtg in lieu of someplace other than the QM...where do you think it would be?

Thanks,

FG.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I personally really love the Queen Mary for the yearly get together. For total immersion in a period environment I think it's quite reasonably priced, and for tourists to California it's not that far from attractions they might wish to see. I think the yearly event outside the Queen Mary would just be strange, and I kind of enjoyed the intimacy of this years event, but that's just my opinion. [huh]

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Historic Precident

says the 'annual meeting of the Fedora Lounge' is at the QM.

There can and are numerous other gatherings, in some cases as large as the QM gathering, organized by members and/or bartenders.

There can be multiple annual gatherings, but only one 'annual meeting'.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Slim, I have been meaning to say how much I enjoyed meeting you, if briefly, at the QM this year. Your style is very fun. That magazine you brought was just lovely to look at, too :)

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Barbigirl said:
Yeah! Go for it!
I have removed my event coordinator hat.

As have I.

BUT.

I was thinking that some kind of event could be built around this very Golden Era place, In New York State.

HOFR_homehofr03.1.jpg

We obviously couldn't stay there, and I'm not finding a resort type spot nearby. They don't seem to have a lot of that stuff in Poughkeepsie. lolBut still to spend time touring the FDR estate and library...
I also thought Sagamore Hill would be great fun, though it's a little early for our group.
There are magnificent old resort hotels in Michigan and New Hampshire. And Bar Harbor, Maine is the old traditional landing spot of the monied, but we'd maybe not want to do that in any of the cold months.
Now, how can we bring the Cicada Club east?

(This thread is now a mess, but it's all merged from two)

mike

Call Me a Cab
my post didn't get moved, so I will repeat my somewhat mysterious murmurings...

I'm in the process of getting up and running a monthly event. As far as I know, it's not the kind that has been pulled off before (although I'd figure someone, somewhere has given it a shot.)

It's looking like it will be held monthly on a wednesday night, although no other scheduling info is confirmed yet. It will be a vintage-themed night, in a low key environment, hopefully some live bands involved on occasion... Any specific info I'm going to wait to announce when it's all confirmed.

Not that this would be a NY equal to the GM, but maybe once it's up and running, we can plan a NYC extended weekend event that can either begin or end with my monthly mid-week event.

Meanwhile there are a lot of destinations in the NYC area that could make for great weekend getaways, but specifically something that could be a place to stay, place to spend time together and drink and eat... cheaply... might be a tough riddle to crack :eusa_doh:

Anyone interested in a flight experience on Long Island? http://www.americanairpowermuseum.com/Website/FlightExperience.html

Slim Portly

One Too Many
Lauren said:
Slim, I have been meaning to say how much I enjoyed meeting you, if briefly, at the QM this year. Your style is very fun. That magazine you brought was just lovely to look at, too :)
Thank you, my dear. If the Queen Mary event continues to be held at the Queen Mary I'm sure we'll meet again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld