Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ideas please, for a newbie

portolan

A-List Customer
Greetings to all:
First of all, I have very much enjoyed reading all your postings. Very informative and very enjoyable.

I have always liked hats on men. My preacher father wore a Stetson that, as a boy, I thought was really nice. I am in my late fifties, am a retired professor/educator/pastor who owns a consulting company. I live in Florida and work mostly in San Diego. I own a home in Chihuahua Mexico where the high desert meets the mountains. You are each invited to visit us when we are there. It is tranquil and beautiful. It is also very Chihuahuense....rodeos, cowboys...our little village boasts two Mexican champion lasso cowboys!

I already own the obligatory white and black Tejanos.....bought from shops in Nuevo Casas Grandes. I have a great hat from Colonel Littleton and a fedora from my Indiana Jones fascination.

I would really appreciate some help deciding on the perfect hat to wear every day in our Chihuahua home. I have a small orchard with 90 fruit trees. I need something Western looking that will keep the sun off, wear well in hot weather and be very cool! I love the big hat that Sam Elliot wears in the Golden Compass and I love the hat posted about in Hidalgo...but neither would be real practical for my purpose.

I have never owned a custom made hat. I have a fairly big head with what I think is a long oval shape. I am in my late fifties. I want a really nice cool hat to wear in Mexico day-to-day. Different from their Tejanos which I am showing in the attached picture. I think there may be some fellows here who could make something for me. That would be wonderful.

I am in San Diego this week and hope to go to the Village Hat store to get properly sized. My wife says my head is 24 inches with her trusty sewing tape, but my favorite Tejano is a 58....Hopefully the Village Hat place in San Diego will help me know for sure.

I have really enjoyed reading your posts. I hope you can offer me some good suggestions. I am very excited about the prospect of my first custom hat and would love to get it ordered. Thanks in advance for all your suggestions. I hope to become a good member of this great forum....Thanks, Phil

Phil.jpg

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you want a Western style look in a custom hat I would say get Art Fawcett to make you an Open Road in his lightweight felt. That will keep things cool.

If you want more Western-y, Major Moore at Buckaroo Hatters specializes in hats in the style of the old West.

Good luck, and welcome to the Lounge.

portolan

A-List Customer
Alan, thanks so much. I will contact Major Moore. I think I need something with a bit of a broader brim to keep the sun away. Lightweight felt sounds great....Thanks also for the welcome!

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
I'd suggest a version of the Stetson Open Road style hat in woven straw. I've seen some "Panacool" hats like this on eBay and have read good reviews about them from some other Loungers. These are usually not Stetsons but copies of that style by other manufacturers and similar to a Panama hat in construction so they are lighter weight and they 'breath'. They have a medium size brim and a western blocking (some call it "cattleman's" some call it "alpine") to the crown. That's what I'd wear in Mexico.

Then again, I saw a great old Eddie Cantor movie the other night and they were in Mexico and all the "gringos" were wearing Optimo crowned Panama hats. Looked great. Even though I love western hat styles, maybe I'd be wearing one of those. Hmmm...

G'luck!

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Oh, and welcome to the Lounge. Glad to have you here. I also live in Florida and would be proud to visit you on the other coast. Never been there exactly. Been to Nogales, Sonora, Mexico, just south of Tombstone, Arizona. Got a friend in 'Frisco who I keep meaning to visit. Gonna' be in Memphis on August 1 for a Fedora Lounge get-together. Check out the "Events" thread for details. Maybe we can make your acquaintance there.

All the best,

Gene

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
I think the Open Road style or a similar vein would work very well.
I have grabbed a few Resistols in silverbelly that I have fedora-ized from the cattleman's bash to teardrop and diamond bashes. They have 3" brims which I feel are maybe too wide for me, but which may serve your purposes well as I'd think the light color may assist you with camoflaging dust/whatnot and also from the suns punishing rays.

Welcome aboard!

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Welcome phil, I definitely think you should get your size checked as I am a 24 incher and that comes up to a 61, no where near a 58.:eusa_doh: The Major can also set you up with a western straw to go with a felt. The great thing about MajorMoore and Art is you don't have to take what they show on their sites, they can take your ideas and work with you to come up with the hat you really want. But they do have soma great ones on their sites too! :)

portolan

A-List Customer
Guys:
Thanks so much for all the great ideas. I appreciate them very much. Tomorrow, I am off to Village Hat Shop here in San Diego to see if I can get sized. I look forward to a lot more interaction with you all. You are the best.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
HarpPlayerGene said:
I'd suggest a version of the Stetson Open Road style hat in woven straw. I've seen some "Panacool" hats like this on eBay and have read good reviews about them from some other Loungers. These are usually not Stetsons but copies of that style by other manufacturers and similar to a Panama hat in construction so they are lighter weight and they 'breath'. They have a medium size brim and a western blocking (some call it "cattleman's" some call it "alpine") to the crown. That's what I'd wear in Mexico.

G'luck!

Hiya Cowboy, nice to see a new face here. I would weigh in on 'gene's side. I just saw a Resistol 7.5 genuine panama OR clone go nowhere for want of a twenty buck bid. I myself just got this a few wks. ago for thirty, shipped.
STETSON_OR_STRAW.jpg

Stetson, oddly NOT marked as an OR, but clearly IS one.

majormoore

Vendor
I can get a lighter weight western body,in 100% which will allow you to have a brim up to 5" wide if you want one that wide.

There is a standard weight 100% western body and a lighter weight 100% that I can get sometimes, the color choice is the main thing on the lighter western weights.

Major Moore

portolan said:
Guys:
Thanks so much for all the great ideas. I appreciate them very much. Tomorrow, I am off to Village Hat Shop here in San Diego to see if I can get sized. I look forward to a lot more interaction with you all. You are the best.

portolan

A-List Customer
A Newbie Visits his first hat shop

Well, I spent an interesting hour today in my first hat shop here in San Diego.

I enjoyed myself, but was a little disappointed. I think my expectations were a little too high. There were lots of customers in the store (good for them!). The fellow who waited on me was pleasant enough, but wouldn't (didn't) measure my head or give me any advice, even after I asked. Most of the hats I was interested in were behind the counter. He was too busy to really help me. I did however, try on a lot of hats that were out front. Sales people were on the phone, taking phone orders most of the time. It was a little chaotic. I was very impressed at the variety of the clientele and hats. Something for everyone.

They did have Akubra hats in the back. He brought me a 62...too big. Then a 59...I think just a little too small. Beautiful hat though. I think it was called a Snowy River in fawn color. Fur felt. I didn't have the courage to ask him for a 60 to try that. He was just too busy. I didn't get to try on any Panama hats....the ones I liked, he said he didn't have in extra larges. I would have loved to go into the back room where the clerks kept disappearing...must have lots of hats back there.

I ended up buying a Stetson Walton in Pecan. Very light weight straw with a great brim. It was out front and fit about the best of all the ones I could try on without needing a clerk. It is an Extra large and says 7 1/2-7 5/8. It is just a little big, but I do like it.

I was hoping I would get sized and could try on a number of great hats in that size. Didn't work out that way. That Snowy River was wonderful....I would have loved to have tried a 60. Maybe I will go back on a weekday. They might not be so busy. I clearly got the idea that they don't measure or offer advice. You just try on a couple of hats until something fits.

Anyway, I really like the Stetson Walton. I haven't taken it off since I walked out of the store. Now I need to "talk" to one of you and see if I can't get my custom light felt broad brim hat. That will be great.

Thanks again for all your advice. I think this could become addictive! Hi, my name is Phil and I have a problem......;)

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Welcome to FL Phil, as a fairly new guy here I can tell you that there are a bunch of hatmakers and vendors here that not only want to put an amazing hat on your head but who will take the time to make you happy. You definately found the 'place to be'. :)

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Portolan -- If it's western hats you want to try, go to Wild Bill's Western Emporium in El Cajon. It is a huge western store, frequented by rodeo riders and back country cowboys.

They have a wide selection of hats and would be more accommodating to your needs than they would be in VHS, which, for survivial, has had to be somewhat of a novelty shop.

Look it up in the phone directory and call to make sure it is still there; it's worth a visit. Lots of western hats, straw and felt and wool. Not to mention the cool cowboy clothes.

karol

Orvil Newton

One of the Regulars
portolan said:
Well, I spent an interesting hour today in my first hat shop here in San Diego.

I enjoyed myself, but was a little disappointed. I think my expectations were a little too high. There were lots of customers in the store (good for them!). The fellow who waited on me was pleasant enough, but wouldn't (didn't) measure my head or give me any advice, even after I asked. Most of the hats I was interested in were behind the counter. He was too busy to really help me. I did however, try on a lot of hats that were out front. Sales people were on the phone, taking phone orders most of the time. It was a little chaotic. I was very impressed at the variety of the clientele and hats. Something for everyone.

They did have Akubra hats in the back. He brought me a 62...too big. Then a 59...I think just a little too small. Beautiful hat though. I think it was called a Snowy River in fawn color. Fur felt. I didn't have the courage to ask him for a 60 to try that. He was just too busy.

Before I retired I was a retail performance consultant. Sounds like the management has priority issues. No sales person should ever be too busy to help a customer in the store because they are on the phone. Once you are with a sales person you should have their undivided attention until you are satisfied with your purchase. A retailer isn't just selling hats: Service is part of the deal. I'd shop elsewhere. There are plenty of retailers who would value your business and give quality service.

portolan

A-List Customer
Wild Bill's was a lot of fun....Petasusite addiction

Thanks so much to Karol for the advice to visit Wild Bill's in El Cajon. I spent two hours there yesterday and had a delightful time. The fellow that helped me in the hat section was terrific. He answered every question, showed me a zillion hats, gave me good advice and best of all sold me a terrific hat! What a contrast from the other experience I had a few days earlier.

I still am fascinated by the difference in sizes and styles. Some 7 3/8 fit, some 7 1/2 fit and some 7 5/8 fit. It just depended on the style and manufacturer. He sold me a Resistol felt Brownstone in Ranch Tan. I liked it best and it was 30% off in price....can't beat that. I showed him the brim style that I liked best of all the hats and he went to work. It was fascinating to watch him steam and shape the brim to the exact shape I wanted. I have never seen that done before. It has a wide brim - 4 1/4 inches. With the brim turned slightly downward it is a big hat! I love it! It will be great in the sun of Chihuahua.

I have also been asking Major Moore a ton of questions. He has been more than gracious. In a few months I should have a great custom hat to show you all.

Looks like thanks to the Fedora Lounge I am on my way to a full scale petasusite addiction. Petasus is my new favorite word. It is a "broad brimmed felt hat for travelers" according to the online Latin dictionary. Love my new petasus! Thanks to each of you who have helped me on my journey.

waffle

One of the Regulars
Viper Man said:
Welcome to the lounge, Portolan! How about posting a photo of your new hat so I can get this image out of my head?

pegasus.jpg

dang it... that goes for me too, now that i've seen that image.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Portolan -- I'm glad you made it to Wild Bill's, it's a great place and I miss it. They always had a large number of cowboy hats there, as well as clothes, boots and silver accessories. Glad to know they are still there and just as gracious and helpful as I remember them.

A few years ago, I bought a Stetson "Gus" there, also a black Stetson Avanti, which was on sale, plus a couple of straw hats. Last time I was there, they actually had a cowboy hat displayed that was styled the way Wild Bill Hickock wore his -- a big hat, as I recall, big as a Tom Mix in the brim.

I bought a rhinestone hat band at Boot World for the black hat, so now I can be a Rhinestone cowgirl whenever I want.

I, too, have found that certain cowboy hats fit my head at size 7, most fit at 7 1/8, some cheaper hats at 7 1/4. Truly, though, I am a 7 1/8.

Hope you'll be able to post some photos at some point, I am curious as to what your new hat looks like.

karol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe