Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ice cold lemonade & hot dogs 1930's

green papaya

One Too Many
frankfurter1936.jpg

only 5 cents each

green papaya

One Too Many
Had a walk-up hot dog stand hot dog for lunch today, but it cost me $2.50. Life is very sad.

the daily wages back in 1938 was around .25 cents an hour probably less before the minimum wage laws in 1938

low wage workers made $1.00 - $2.00 a day , professionals like doctors made $1.50 an hour or more

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Oh, yes, I know that -- in 1939 my grandfather's entire income for the year was $475. But when he paid a nickel for a weenie, he got one that was plump, juicy, and all-meat. For two fifty I get one that's skinny and nitrite-injected and all-meat-flavored.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
How sanitary were the hot dog carts back then? Did they have to adhere to strict food handling laws or did anything go?

There were health inspectors, but they had a hard time keeping up with the sheer number of "hot dog kennels" that existed. When the hot dog fad was at its peak in the early twenties, ramshackle wooden stands and carts were everywhere -- many of them fly-by-night enterprises that made people very suspicious. The rise of the first fast-food hamburger chains in the twenties -- White Castle, White Tower and the like -- was the direct result of public mistrust of weenie wagons. White Castle and its clones were sheathed in highly-polished porcelain enamel and had a rigorous sanitation code for employees -- setting the pattern that was duplicated later on by McDonalds and Burger King and the rest of the second-generation fast food operations.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
But when he paid a nickel for a weenie, he got one that was plump, juicy, and all-meat. For two fifty I get one that's skinny and nitrite-injected and all-meat-flavored.

I can recommend Chicago Dogs at the Las Vegas airport-all Vienna beef and loaded like dice with everything on. :)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Yeah, Vienna dogs are the best. I wish they were more readily available outside the Midwest.

There were health inspectors, but they had a hard time keeping up with the sheer number of "hot dog kennels" that existed. When the hot dog fad was at its peak in the early twenties, ramshackle wooden stands and carts were everywhere -- many of them fly-by-night enterprises that made people very suspicious. The rise of the first fast-food hamburger chains in the twenties -- White Castle, White Tower and the like -- was the direct result of public mistrust of weenie wagons. White Castle and its clones were sheathed in highly-polished porcelain enamel and had a rigorous sanitation code for employees -- setting the pattern that was duplicated later on by McDonalds and Burger King and the rest of the second-generation fast food operations.

The whole sanitary movement in food was something I felt as an echo in my parents and grandparents growing up in the 60s/70s. Nobody in my generation worried or thought much about the cleanliness of fast food places / diners / carts / etc. Even when an issue came up, our mind set was it was a "one off" and we didn't think past that. But my grandparents and parents were constantly talking about it being a "clean" place or a "we won't go there 'cause it's a dirty" place. And when we were in a diner, etc., my mother and father would comment on the cleanliness of the plates, table, kitchen, etc. (My Dad used to wipe his silverware on his napkin before using it no matter where we were.) As a kid, this just washed over me as parents being worried about nothing, but having now learned about the history of it - Upton Sinclair's "The Jungle" and the general nastiness of many places in the 20s and 30s (not that many weren't clean) and the fear of disease (pre-antibiotic, in particular) - I understand where they were coming from. I've seen History Channel specials on this and - as Lizzie notes - White Castle was started with a large selling feature being its hospital-like cleanliness (hence, the white, the uniforms, the surfaces that could be easily cleaned and look clean). I feel almost nostalgic now when I think back on how important it was to them that a place was "clean" in a way that is different, more visceral than it is to most of us today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82