Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I wish I had a job I could dress nicely at

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
I'm now an IT tech (Regional Field Technician") for a school that has four campuses in Ohio. My fellow IT techs wear what people have become used to IT techs wearing: jeans or dockers, polo shirt or tee shirt. Fortunately, I'm the only one working in Ohio so I don't stand out that much in my dress trousers and sport coats.

Most of the staff and instructors wear at the least a shirt and tie. Some wear suits or dress trousers and sport coats. It's a far cry from my short teaching gig a while back at another school where I was told I didn't need to wear a suit to teach in (I was wearing a sport coat.)

There are times when I know I'm going to be doing physical stuff like moving lots of computers around or such and I dress appropriately for it. Most of the time, though, I get to dress how I wish. I consider myself lucky. :)

Cheers,
Tom

Michaelshane

One Too Many
I own my own business so I can dress how I please and I do.I dress according to the shoes I want to wear that day.I have lots of shoes and lots of hats.I don't own a single pair of tennis shoes or what ever you call those ugly things most people wear.

kyda

One of the Regulars
Being a SAHM my like it when I can dress up, mostly I just wear a skirt and shirt, the kids don't care what I look like and to scrub out a shower and toilet I need to be able to move freely.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I'm a store manager for a company that supplies uniforms to its associates.
It is always fun when we have events away from work and you see people dressed in whatever way they please. Funny how much self expression is squelched when you are in a uniform! At our last get together (Christmas party) I had several folks say "its weird to see you dressed up in real clothes!".

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
When I was a cop I had to wear a uniform; very cool,

When I was a gas station attendant or janitor I had to wear a uniform; very dirty,

When I worked in my former profession I wore seven fold ties, suspenders, fedoras, french cuffs cap toes and wing tips(not at the same time); very heavenly.

However, it all came down to one thing they were all "uniforms of the day".

You can bet I was the sharpest looking gas station guy who serviced your car.

Same with being a janitor or a Wall Street guy.

As I changed vocation I changed uniforms. I could not exactly wear a gas station jump suit to deal with finance. I wanted to[huh]

maybelaughter

Familiar Face
i'm a full time student, so i can dress how i please - however, as an art student, and a rather messy one at that, i'm leery of wearing some of my favorite things to class. some days you just can't wear dresses/skirts, like when you're plaster casting or doing installation pieces and have to move around a lot... and when we paint, i always change into my messy clothes.
i miss dressing nice for my old job, but i love being able to focus on school.

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
maybelaughter said:
i'm a full time student, so i can dress how i please - however, as an art student, and a rather messy one at that, i'm leery of wearing some of my favorite things to class. some days you just can't wear dresses/skirts, like when you're plaster casting or doing installation pieces and have to move around a lot... and when we paint, i always change into my messy clothes.
i miss dressing nice for my old job, but i love being able to focus on school.

Oh yes, art classes. :) I think I tried to wear a long-sleeved white blouse to an art class. Once. Or maybe twice...maybe that's why I had all those interesting colors on the lower sleeve... :eusa_doh:

I'm working at a short-term job, and on each of the first two Fridays, people said, "Oh, did someone forget to tell you? - we have casual Fridays!" Meaning the best, I'm sure, but...I don't OWN casual right now. I don't even own a pair of jeans. lol I have a very "business casual" wardrobe, and plenty of classic black. I just smiled and said, "Oh, well, I'm comfortable!" Interestingly, no one commented *this* Friday...

One of my castles in the air is to own a business where I can wear whatever I want. Of course, in my air castle, I also have enough money to commission an entire wardrobe of custom-made vintage repros . :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe