Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I tried on a few hats.

Brinybay

Practically Family
I managed to get to a few hat vendors to try on some hats. The first place was David Morgan. I stopped by there while in the area, but it was close to closing time so I didn't try many on. I did get to meet Mr. Morgan. Very nice guy, even has a sense of humor. While trying on a few, I was concerned about the impact of the NW weather (rain) on hats like these. So I asked "Now what happens when it rains?". Of course I meant the hat, but he replied with a smirk and said "Well, your head stays dry, and so do your glasses." The other places I went to didn't specialize in hats, but had a limited selection. Here are the pics for your critique (of the hats, I know I need to lose weight, and I'm working on it):

Akubra Casual. I really liked the way this felt, and it's crushable. I think it would look better if I didn't wear it like a BB hat, push it forward more. What do you think?
Picture036.jpg

The next two were at a men's store in Ballard, WA. They had only a very limited selection of Brixton Hats, and of them, only a couple in my size. I liked the gray one the best, and may have bought it except that it was just a smidgen too large, even though the store tag said "small". The crown touched the top of my head. I think the size must have been mis-marked. But I have to say, the young gal helping me was very courteous, polite, and enthusiastic about helping me. That counts for a lot, in my book:
DSCN0186.jpg
DSCN0187.jpg

DSCN0184.jpg
DSCN0185.jpg

These other two were at Nordstroms. Extremely limited selection, and a haughty clerk who didn't want to be bothered, that's why the pics aren't real good. The hats were "lite-felt", whatever that is, manufactured by Bailey:

DSCN0191.jpg
DSCN0190.jpg

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
#1 - First choice. (no contest, really)
#4 - Second choice.
#2 - Third choice.
#3 - Fourth choice.

Actually, I think the first hat looks great on you as is. The picture was just taken with your chin up. :)

Would like to see the side view too!

Vintage Betty

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Akubra - the best of the lot...although you should've tried the Sydney and Squatter and Adventurer and posted pix.

Nordstrom - No...and...no.

Ballard - Oh Lord NO! :eusa_doh: Not a stingy brim. If you lived in Ballard and were heading to a lutefisk feed under the Stalin statue...perhaps you'd fit in. But thinking that's NOT a good thing... lol

Brinybay

Practically Family
Y'all pretty much matched my choices too, except that I'm a little reluctant to spend $104 on a first hat. The stingy brims look too nerdy. The last two pics are actually two different hats, the only differences were the shape of the crown, the band, and one was lined. I don't like black anyway, and I found the same hats online for much less. Couldn't really get a side view cuz the clerk had an attitude and didn't want to take any more of her precious time, I'm only the customer, after all.

Brinybay

Practically Family
Mike in Seattle said:
Akubra - the best of the lot...although you should've tried the Sydney and Squatter and Adventurer and posted pix.

I still have some time left on my vacation, I'll try to get out there again, only this time not so close to closing time.

Mike in Seattle said:
Ballard - Oh Lord NO! :eusa_doh: Not a stingy brim. If you lived in Ballard and were heading to a lutefisk feed under the Stalin statue...perhaps you'd fit in. But thinking that's NOT a good thing... lol

But I like lutefisk! Ya, you betcha! (Just kiddng! Never tried it, no desire to!) Oops, the statue is Lenin, not Stalin, but whatever. Not far from the bridge troll.

tandmark

One of the Regulars
Hi,

The Akubra. Agreed. What they said.

The stingies were in style 40 years ago, and occasionally get a little popularity boost thanks to rock musicians & comedians and such, but they just don't look all that good on most folks. Sez me, anyway.

The Nordie's hats look fine. Lite Felt means that they're made of wool that's been felted. Burlington Coat Factory sells lots of Lite Felt hats from various obscure hat factories for $10 - $20. Other wool felt hatmakers include Scala, Pendleton, and a few others you might find at sporting goods stores or outdoor outfitters, selling in the $40 range.

One disadvantage to wool felt hats is that some brands are not all that happy when they get rained on a lot. I've had good luck with some wool felts, but if it's raining, I generally grab a fur felt.

If you like the Akubra, you might also consider checking out the idea of importing one from Oz. That ought to save you 10-30%. Everything Australian, Hats Direct, and ... darn it, I can't find where I wrote down the name of the third place. Well, a Google search should find the best price for you if you're thinking of this option.

But me, I've got to take off now for work.

Cheers,
Mark

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Brinybay said:
Y'all pretty much matched my choices too, except that I'm a little reluctant to spend $104 on a first hat.

If your criteria is to get a reasonably good looking hat for the least amount of money, you could do a lot worse than one of the "Lite Felts." I have one. You will find that it is a lint magnet, but a quick brushing will take care of that. It will let you look good while you save your pennies for the next addition to your collection. :)

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Without getting into brands or materials but concentrating only on how the hat fits your features , hands down the first picture is the one. With your rounder face you need to stick to dimensoins closer to the akubra no matter the brand. Have fun in the search

warbird

One Too Many
Art Fawcett said:
Without getting into brands or materials but concentrating only on how the hat fits your features , hands down the first picture is the one. With your rounder face you need to stick to dimensoins closer to the akubra no matter the brand. Have fun in the search

I agree completely.

Brinybay

Practically Family
And the winner is...

The Akubra Casual! It's a crushable, so it comes pre-shaped and only one color, but I didn't mind. It wasn't a budget-buster, I just shifted priorities temporarily. (I like the way that sounds, don't you? :D) Thank you MIKE S at David Morgan for all your patience and help, I know you're here somewhere!

Just for kicks and giggles, I put on my old chaffeur's monkey-suit (except I chose a more colorful tie instead of the standard black one) and with the help of a 10-second delay and a tripod, managed to get a half-way decent pic:

Picture038.jpg

Flieger

Practically Family
Brinybay said:
The Akubra Casual! It's a crushable, so it comes pre-shaped and only one color, but I didn't mind. It wasn't a budget-buster, I just shifted priorities temporarily. (I like the way that sounds, don't you? :D) Thank you MIKE S at David Morgan for all your patience and help, I know you're here somewhere!

Just for kicks and giggles, I put on my old chaffeur's monkey-suit (except I chose a more colorful tie instead of the standard black one) and with the help of a 10-second delay and a tripod, managed to get a half-way decent pic:

Looking good there, Brinybay! :eusa_clap

/F

tandmark

One of the Regulars
Howdy,

It looks great on you, it's crushable -- which can be useful in a lot of circumstances, it's not too dressy but not too cazh, and that color ought to go with everything you could throw at it.

Offhand, I'd say you did a great job to pick this one out. :eusa_clap

Cheers,
Mark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe