Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I think I want Aero, but Cirrus is offering to give me a discount...help!

JLStorm

Practically Family
Ok, well I have decided on Aero and I have finalized all of my design changes with Amanda and Will.
I still have to choose which hide I want, its down to seal on seal, redskin, or using the irvin real deal
hide and Im having a really hard time deciding. The real deal shearling will hide dirt better and the
seal has the nicest fur like shearling IMO, but I like the redskin hide the best.

Here is my finalized list of changes which should make this a pretty hard wearing jacket that will
keep me warm and not get torn a part to easily. I eliminated the shearling from the cuffs and bottom
in favor of the ANJ-4 as dirt and staining would just be a pain with shearling there.
Im not as worried about the collar or windflap getting dirty.

B-3Customization.jpg

I Simonius

New in Town
JLStorm said:
Here is my finalized list of changes which should make this a pretty hard wearing jacket that will
keep me warm and not get torn a part to easily. I eliminated the shearling from the cuffs and bottom
in favor of the ANJ-4 as dirt and staining would just be a pain with shearling there.
Im not as worried about the collar or windflap getting dirty.

I'm really excited about this because it is almost exactly what I want as well although I won't need such a high collar, so as soon as you get it I really hope you will post pics?

Did you get samples of the different skins?? Do you have pics of those as well by any chance?

Sorry about my over enthusiasm but I think it is going to be really smashing!;)

The only other thing I will need to consider is the waist is always too wide for me and it doesn't have a proper belt - on my current one I had to have the belt have an extra hole a good inch and a half tighter than the smallest hole. On my highwayman my only complaint is I can't get the waist tight enough when it s really cold. A slight gap round the waist makes all the diference when it's really cold as to whether you are keepig all the heat in or whether it just drains out, especially if you are moving.

Having noticed that you have opted for no zips on the sleeves, I would just mention how useful they are if you have worked up a real sweat and got back indoors, to turn the sleeves inside out to air. Sounds daft I know but I found often walking fast with my camera equipment in freezing weather I would generate quite some heat and was glad to be able to turn thearms inside out to air.

I willbe very interested in your experience once you get it about whether you feel the arms allow plenty room for movement

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Sounds like it wouldn't make a bad "classic motorcycle" jacket as well, with all the extra overlays.

JLStorm

Practically Family
I Simonius said:
I'm really excited about this because it is almost exactly what I want as well although I won't need such a high collar, so as soon as you get it I really hope you will post pics?

Did you get samples of the different skins?? Do you have pics of those as well by any chance?

Sorry about my over enthusiasm but I think it is going to be really smashing!;)

The only other thing I will need to consider is the waist is always too wide for me and it doesn't have a proper belt - on my current one I had to have the belt have an extra hole a good inch and a half tighter than the smallest hole. On my highwayman my only complaint is I can't get the waist tight enough when it s really cold. A slight gap round the waist makes all the diference when it's really cold as to whether you are keepig all the heat in or whether it just drains out, especially if you are moving.

Having noticed that you have opted for no zips on the sleeves, I would just mention how useful they are if you have worked up a real sweat and got back indoors, to turn the sleeves inside out to air. Sounds daft I know but I found often walking fast with my camera equipment in freezing weather I would generate quite some heat and was glad to be able to turn thearms inside out to air.

I willbe very interested in your experience once you get it about whether you feel the arms allow plenty room for movement

Well here is what I can tell you about measurements and samples. First off Amanda had me give her two sets of measurements, one with just a light shirt on and one with the heaviest and thickest sweater I would ever wear under the coat. She also asked for measurements of a coat that fits me and even the measurements of a shearling bomber that was a bit to small to compare, then she had me measure everything all over again. She also asked for photos of my coats with the measuring tape in specific areas.

As far as samples yes they sent me large samples of all the hides I requested Seal, Redskin, Real deal Irvin, RAF and I wasnt sure if I liked the Real deal, it seemed like it got a bit beat up during shipping so they sent me another sample...I even told them they didnt have too send another one, but they insisted.

I will definitely take photos once I get it.

Smithy, as far as steerhide, I actually asked if I could have the whole thing overlayed in steerhide, but they said it would be a complete overkill and a bit to hard to work with. So this is what Ive settled on, hopefully it will hold up.

I Simonius

New in Town
JLStorm said:
Well here is what I can tell you about measurements and samples. First off Amanda had me give her two sets of measurements, one with just a light shirt on and one with the heaviest and thickest sweater I would ever wear under the coat. She also asked for measurements of a coat that fits me and even the measurements of a shearling bomber that was a bit to small to compare, then she had me measure everything all over again. She also asked for photos of my coats with the measuring tape in specific areas.

As far as samples yes they sent me large samples of all the hides I requested Seal, Redskin, Real deal Irvin, RAF and I wasnt sure if I liked the Real deal, it seemed like it got a bit beat up during shipping so they sent me another sample...I even told them they didnt have too send another one, but they insisted.

I will definitely take photos once I get it.

Smithy, as far as steerhide, I actually asked if I could have the whole thing overlayed in steerhide, but they said it would be a complete overkill and a bit to hard to work with. So this is what Ive settled on, hopefully it will hold up.

That sounds great - let us know when you get it;)

JLStorm

Practically Family
I Simonius said:
That sounds great - let us know when you get it;)

Will do. I think Ive decided to go seal on seal which means I have to go back to using horshide instead of steeerhide (they dont have any seal steerhide). This makes it a pit more expensive, but I think with all the overlays different collors wont look so good.

If the price increases that much I could go for redskin and russet steerhide, but for some reason the seal color is growing on me a bit lately.

JLStorm

Practically Family
It's HERE :) It just arrived today, and I love it. I went with horsehide overlays in a seal/seal color.

I will post some photos tonight, although they wont be great resolution because they are from a camera phone, but better than nothing.

I Simonius

New in Town
JLStorm said:
It's HERE :) It just arrived today, and I love it. I went with horsehide overlays in a seal/seal color.

I will post some photos tonight, although they wont be great resolution because they are from a camera phone, but better than nothing.

Funny thing - I was thinking today whether it had arrived yet

Im looking forward to the shots:D

JLStorm

Practically Family
As you can see the sleeves are a tiny bit long, this is due to the fact that I had
the shoulders cut wider. Im coming out of an 18 month injury, but once I start
weightlifting again, I expect my shoulders to fill out again which will take up some
of the free space. Other than that the jacket fits perfectly, they even made the
extra wide sleeves to accommodate my arms perfectly :) Im really happy with the jacket.

The horsehide overlays are going to take quite a while to break in and get nice and comfortable, but they feel like Im wearing armor...definitely tough as nails.

img069.jpg

img067.jpg

img071.jpg

Copyofimg083.jpg

Copyofimg084.jpg

img081.jpg

img082.jpg

img078.jpg

I Simonius

New in Town
man that collar is OTTlol

How do you see when you've got it up?[huh]

It looks seriousluy cool when down though. That is one exceptional Jacket, really stuning - gotta have one!

But hey now you've got to fork out for a decent camera;)

JLStorm

Practically Family
I Simonius said:
man that collar is OTTlol

How do you see when you've got it up?[huh]

It looks seriousluy cool when down though. That is one exceptional Jacket, really stuning - gotta have one!

But hey now you've got to fork out for a decent camera;)

I know...I definitely need a good camera. The trade off with the huge collar is that you dont see when you have the it up, but I would only put it up for a very strong wind gust or blizzard type conditions when chances are, you couldnt see much anyway unless its right in front of your face.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe