Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I remember when.....

My dad spoke of NYC cops in the 1930's and 40's that would swat a teens butt and the back of the thighs with the nightstick as punishment Especially for mouthing off. Dad said he had seen it happen a couple of times and said if you saw that you learned never to mouth off to a cop.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
My dad spoke of NYC cops in the 1930's and 40's that would swat a teens butt and the back of the thighs with the nightstick as punishment Especially for mouthing off. Dad said he had seen it happen a couple of times and said if you saw that you learned never to mouth off to a cop.
They did that in Jr. High School in California up until the 1980's. But the teachers used a large paddle.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
I remember when cars had 'fly' windows - those small triangular windows in the front of the side glass. They were either push or crank open and would let in the perfect amount of air when opened, either part, or all the way.

I inherited my dad's 1988 Lincoln Towncar, and it has power wing windows. I was showing it to some guys under 40 and they kind of didn't remember them. I remember my folks' car having the wing window, with a chrome, curved handle and a button that locked or unlocked it for opening.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
I inherited my dad's 1988 Lincoln Towncar, and it has power wing windows. I was showing it to some guys under 40 and they kind of didn't remember them. I remember my folks' car having the wing window, with a chrome, curved handle and a button that locked or unlocked it for opening.

My 95 Jeep YJ has them. Perfect for sucking the ash off your cigar while driving down the highway.
Tom D.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
The Valley Girl

Keeping with the thread (kind of)
I remember when I looked like this:
IMG_0721.jpg
[video=youtube;LuN6gs0AJls]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuN6gs0AJls&feature=related[/video]

That reminds me of a story, my great-grandpa, in the late 60's, he was born in 1902, calls my grandpa.
He says, "I've been arrested"
My grandpa asked him "Why?"
He said, "Well, this cop was giving me a lecture, and he kept hitting me harder, and harder on the shoulder with his billy club as he was talking, so I punched him in the eye."
Only Gramps!

I'm 20 years old and my folks still have that ability!
I remember when Mom or Dad silenced me with a look.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
They did that in Jr. High School in California up until the 1980's. But the teachers used a large paddle.

In my junior high they didn't use paddles -- bare hands were plenty. They picked the miscreants up and threw them down the stairs to the principal's office. In one instance I saw a teacher put a kid's head thru a classroom wall for mouthing off.

Grammar school was pretty tough too. If you got out of line in my first grade class, the teacher made you sit on a stool at the front of the room wearing a baby bonnet.

Dan'l

Practically Family
I remember open house at my grade school in the fall of '77. Mom and my teacher, a gent, got into a conversation on discipline and mom goes on to tell him that when she was in school the teachers would use a ruler on the palm of the hand, WHACK! She then proceeds to tell him that he has permission to beat me into submission when I get out of line. I didn't think much of it until the next day. During school that day the teacher feels the need to tell the entire class that my mom reminded him of a discipline form that he had forgotten, a good smack on the palm with a ruler (they were all wooden back then) and then he informs us that he will be using that on us if we needed such. Yes, I had some upset schoolmates after that one. I only laugh about it now because the teacher never did that to me. He did pick my up by my shirt collar and slammed me against the wall one day to ask me face to face what my problem was...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe