Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I love the Fed IV!!

Wojto

New in Town
Emal from Hattery today mornig :)
THE FEDERATION

NEW COLOUR

We are excited to announce that we have a new colour coming for the first time in 16 years for the Federation IV Deluxe. Graphite will soon be available in our classic fedora!

If you are familiar with Graphite from either the Cattleman or Banjo Paterson from Akubra, you will know this colour well. It is a sophisticated charcoal with a lot of depth and versatility. A great choice to pair with almost any outfit"

Edward

Bartender
THE FEDERATION

NEW COLOUR

We are excited to announce that we have a new colour coming for the first time in 16 years for the Federation IV Deluxe. Graphite will soon be available in our classic fedora!

If you are familiar with Graphite from either the Cattleman or Banjo Paterson from Akubra, you will know this colour well. It is a sophisticated charcoal with a lot of depth and versatility. A great choice to pair with almost any outfit"

Interesting. I wonder is that replacing Carbon Grey or Moonstone? Or sitting in between as a shade? Be interesting to see. Notable that they mention is being for the DLX; I wonder are they planning to differentiate the two Fed models with different colours in each? That would certainly make choosing between 'em easier! :)

Edward

Bartender
Carbon Grey:

1729073269441.png

This appears to be what Hatsdirect.com are selling as Graphite Grey on their Cattleman Listing:

1729073469398.png

Looks to me to be as much darker than Carbon as Moonstone is lighter. It's an interesting choice. I can imagine owning either of these colours and Moonstone, but it might be more of a stretch to feel I had space for both of these, much as I like both shades. (The Cattleman above definitely isn't black - there's a different photo there that is definitely black, noticeably darker again than this one.)

I'm even more inclined now to speculate that the plan is to differentiate the two models with different colours. Carbon in the regular and this graphite in the DLX would be of a similar contrast to the two different tan colours they already have. I like the idea myself - having owned both, the one real difference I found wasn't qualitative, just the difference in some colour choices. That would imo really make all the difference to me choosing one over the other.

Hoping they bring back Moonstone, though - that's the one I've been waiting for new stock with.

Another thing I notice is the email refers to the IV model, which would suggest to me that if they're introducing a new colour in that, they're not planning to introduce a new model any time soon. (Which is fine with me - I'm very happy with the dimensions of both my IIIs and IVs.)

I'd like to see them do a DLX Plus model with a wide brim-binding and a deeper ribbon - perhaps both contrasting....

Wojto

New in Town
Interesting. I wonder is that replacing Carbon Grey or Moonstone? Or sitting in between as a shade? Be interesting to see. Notable that they mention is being for the DLX; I wonder are they planning to differentiate the two Fed models with different colours in each? That would certainly make choosing between 'em easier! :)
speculating, the e-mail contains information about the introduction of a new color. Nothing about the withdrawal of the colors offered so far. I hope they remain. I consider the addition of graphite to the offer as a great idea and message. Personally, I missed FED's really dark gray that would match the black leather jackets

ikona Zweryfikowane przez społeczność

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
I'm even more inclined now to speculate that the plan is to differentiate the two models with different colours. Carbon in the regular and this graphite in the DLX would be of a similar contrast to the two different tan colours they already have. I like the idea myself - having owned both, the one real difference I found wasn't qualitative, just the difference in some colour choices. That would imo really make all the difference to me choosing one over the other.

It's been a while since there were any color intersections other than dark brown.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
THE FEDERATION

NEW COLOUR

Thanks for the update. I lot of hoopla for nothing it seems. Although, okay, first color change in 16 years is not nothing, but their marketing made this out to be some kind of next level changes. A new color - meh. Doesn't help that I've never been attracted to that color in the BP.

Not complaining - just saying it doesn't excite me. That's just me.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
For those who didn't sign up for email updates about the FED, The Hattery is also offering a "New Shaping Service". Here's what the email says:

"In 2022 we launched a shaping service for the Federation for the first time offering a “1930’s” inspired shape. We’ve had great feedback regarding this service and many of you have used it to take the guesswork out of the process!

We are excited to share that due to increasing demand we have decided to introduce a new variant of the shaping service that will be available soon. A shape that is commonly requested by Indiana Jones fans, the new shape will be inspired by Raiders of the Lost Ark and will include a tighter and taller front pinch as well as an exaggerated brim lift and dip. It is a shape that has become increasingly requested in-store and on the forums (yes, we read the forums) and we are excited to finally offer it online!"

Edward

Bartender
It's been a while since there were any color intersections other than dark brown.

I've been a bit out of the loop, to be fair - bought my IIIs in 2008 & 2009, then a couple of IVs second hand some years later. Did buy a new DLX last year, but that was probably one of the last dark browns they did. I'm sure I remember there being the same carbon / black / brown options at one point, but that may have been longer ago than I realised! Moonstone was maybe the first DLX exclusive? When I bought my brown last year, there was almost nothing left in stock, though, so I may well have missed more variety than I realised.

Thanks for the update. I lot of hoopla for nothing it seems. Although, okay, first color change in 16 years is not nothing, but their marketing made this out to be some kind of next level changes. A new color - meh. Doesn't help that I've never been attracted to that color in the BP.

Not complaining - just saying it doesn't excite me. That's just me.

I'd sort of expected a bigger change myself - a new variant, a new straw (this being heading into the Summer on the bottom half of the world). This is not an unwelcome option (though a moonstone would make much more sense in my collection), but yes, not the level of change I'd have expected from the blurb. Still... maybe more to come yet? I don't expect a MkV pattern, but maybe there are new options to come...

I see they're still waiting for new stock. Prices seem higher than they were last year, but I don't know if that's an actual price rise, or just the pound remaining weak as it has been for some years now.

Edward

Bartender
For those who didn't sign up for email updates about the FED, The Hattery is also offering a "New Shaping Service". Here's what the email says:

"In 2022 we launched a shaping service for the Federation for the first time offering a “1930’s” inspired shape. We’ve had great feedback regarding this service and many of you have used it to take the guesswork out of the process!

We are excited to share that due to increasing demand we have decided to introduce a new variant of the shaping service that will be available soon. A shape that is commonly requested by Indiana Jones fans, the new shape will be inspired by Raiders of the Lost Ark and will include a tighter and taller front pinch as well as an exaggerated brim lift and dip. It is a shape that has become increasingly requested in-store and on the forums (yes, we read the forums) and we are excited to finally offer it online!"

It's an interesting idea. Probably not many takers from among those of us for whom a big part of the attraction is the open crown and being able t shape it ourselves, but for newbies it might make all the difference if they're worried about messing up a nice hat which, albeit not the most expensive out there, still represents a significant investment in an accessory for somebody new to hats.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
I've been a bit out of the loop, to be fair - bought my IIIs in 2008 & 2009, then a couple of IVs second hand some years later. Did buy a new DLX last year, but that was probably one of the last dark browns they did. I'm sure I remember there being the same carbon / black / brown options at one point, but that may have been longer ago than I realised! Moonstone was maybe the first DLX exclusive? When I bought my brown last year, there was almost nothing left in stock, though, so I may well have missed more variety than I realised.

I'd sort of expected a bigger change myself - a new variant, a new straw (this being heading into the Summer on the bottom half of the world). This is not an unwelcome option (though a moonstone would make much more sense in my collection), but yes, not the level of change I'd have expected from the blurb. Still... maybe more to come yet? I don't expect a MkV pattern, but maybe there are new options to come...

I see they're still waiting for new stock. Prices seem higher than they were last year, but I don't know if that's an actual price rise, or just the pound remaining weak as it has been for some years now.

The only other color I remember being available in both was black. But I haven't seen it since maybe even 2022 - definitely early 23 at the latest. I can't say if Moonstone or Heritage Fawn is older.

I believe a number of Loungers would welcome a Bluegrass Green model - perhaps we can send The Hattery a special order? I think that would be a first.

And yes, based on the information that's been shared recently on the Akubra Overload thread, Akubra prices went up across the board.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andymatmar