Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I love the Fed IV!!

Edward

Bartender
Went to the Hatsdirect website today to look over some Fed IVs. A message came in stating that there is a ‘Fed IV hat Project’ in the works. Says nothing more about it. Anyone have any information?

News to me, hopefully someone on here does...

The most obvious way to go might be new colours - bluegrass green, midnight blue.... Personally, what I'd love to see them do the most would be a hemp milano-weave straw version. I miss my Feds this time of year when it's too dern hot to wear them...

Edward

Bartender
It's a secret marketing scheme

Heh. here's clearly something afoot: they've run stocks of both versions down to almost nothing. Makes me suspect they're going to introduce a Mk V, maybe nodding to the Dial of Destiny version of The Hat? I can't see them stopping it, given it's an exclusive and, best as I can make out, a healthy seller. Fingers crossed, anyhow.

As well as a hemp Summer version, I think it would be cool if they did one as a 'plus' model of some sort, with a wide brim-binding matching the ribbon, and a wind trolley. Maybe an option of some contrast ribbons - the Moonstone grey would look sharp with carbon grey or copper coloured ribbon and binding. bluegrass green and a mid / turquoise blue would be nice options as well.

Edward

Bartender
Carbon Grey Fed is back in stock, most sizes available. I bought one a few months ago but the crown was so tapered I had to return it. I hope this issue is solved in the new batch.

That does sound odd. Bummer you had to return it, but hopefully just a blip. I'm sure it was perfectly fine, qualitatively, as a hat, but the tall, straight sides on the crown were of course always a major part of the point of the Fed.

Still no further info on the teased new developments from Hats Direct, which is a shame...

Vintage Gent

New in Town
I'm also eager for more information about new developments on the Fed. After the Carbon Grey, I could buy a Moonstone when it became available and I'm very happy with it. Feds are really great hats, we need them in production for years to come.

Edward

Bartender
I'm also eager for more information about new developments on the Fed. After the Carbon Grey, I could buy a Moonstone when it became available and I'm very happy with it. Feds are really great hats, we need them in production for years to come.

There's not much like them I've been able to find at around the same sort of price point. I've looked at some nice Stetsons (I'd rather like a furfelt Stratoliner, having very much enjoyed a pair of hemp ones this Summer, but at the price they are to get them over here - they aren't officially imported by Stetson EU, so it's a case of ordering from the US and taking the hit on the postage - it starts to edge towards what could also buy custom, and hard for me to justify the thought of spending £100 odds more than a Fed goes for).

Moonstone remains the one I'm after too. I have my original Fed III DLX in brown bought back in 2008, and a new one of the same (an IV) bought a few months ago for 'best', alongside a carbon grey and a tawny fawn standard IV. The black I' not tempted by solely because I already have three other black fedoras with which I'm very happy. The moonstone remains the elusive one.... I like both the DLX and the standard - tbh, the bigger decision between them is the colour than anything else. In fawn, I prefer the warmer, gold hue of the standard's tawny fawn; the DLX Heritage Fawn is just a notch too close to my DLX Campdraft to really be worth it. Though if they did the latter with a scarlet ribbon and brim binding..... colour me interested!

It's such an accessible option for a hat in that style - something which will become more and more important to enthusiasts as original vintage hats become rarer, older, more expensive / valuable, and disappear entirely into a small circle of collectors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust