Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I just took a chance on an Oxxford Suit

GWD

One Too Many
I just took a chance on an Oxxford suit on ebay. I figured the Jacket will probably fit fine and I can have the trousers rebuilt to my size 35x34s. I don't know anything about tailoring so I hope this can be done.

Your input would be very helpful.

Here's the link, Oxxford Suit

Bugsy

One Too Many
GWD said:
I just took a chance on an Oxxford suit on ebay. I figured the Jacket will probably fit fine and I can have the trousers rebuilt to my size 35x34s. I don't know anything about tailoring so I hope this can be done.

If you have a good tailor, they can work miracles. I lost a lot of weight about five years years ago, and my tailor refitted five of my suits by two sizes. The look and feel great.

KObalto

One of the Regulars
They're phenomenal suits. I recentlly got one on Ebay for $80 in a gorgeous gray stripe. Only had to have the pants taken up an inch. I also nailed a grey windowpane sportsjacket for about the same money. I'd describe the condition of both as "gently used". That said, I don't know if you can take 42" pants in all the way to 35". The seat will require some major work, too. Keep looking, though, they're out there in smaller waist sizes regularly.

neyus

New in Town
Oxxford do make really great suits. The quality is so good, and they have that old world hand made look, not unlike suits from the golden era.

You could have reweaver fix the damage in the center seam of the coat or the tailor can take the back seam in its a little large in the body.

Enjoy the suit and post some pics of the completed suit.

GWD

One Too Many
KObalto said:
T That said, I don't know if you can take 42" pants in all the way to 35". The seat will require some major work, too.

I bought a tux last year @ Mens Warehouse and my Jacket is a 46L and the pants that were paired with the jacket were in the low 40's. For reasons unknown to me they couldn't just get me the pants that were my size, but had to rebuild the 40 somethings into 35's. I suspected they were full of crap and just wanted the tailoring money but insisted that is how things are done.[huh]
If anyone knows anything about this practice please chime in.

My logic with this purchase was based on that experience. If they could rebuild my Tuxedo pants they should be able to rebuild these Oxxfords.

Please tell me I'm right, or I may just put this suit back on ebay.

KObalto

One of the Regulars
I don't think its practical to alter a 46" waist to a 35" . Most suits have what is called a 6" drop.. Therefore, a 46 suit would usually come with a 40' waist. Athletic cut suits come with an 8 or 10" drop.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
The trousers will need a to be recut, an expensive ($80+/-) alteration requiring above average tailoring skills to turn out well. Good luck.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Oxxford Suit

GWD said:

Even with alterations (the trousers are pretty wided to just take in) that is cheap for a high end suit. Congrats!

GWD

One Too Many
Update on the Suit;

I got the suit today and took it to my local tailor, Daniel's in Laguna Hills. When he saw it he got very exited he said if I were to buy this suit today it would cost over $4,000.00. After I tried it on and he made his magical markings he went over the entire suit looking at the wear at the corners of the pockets and the stitching on the edge of the waist of the trousers and the stitching on the back and collar of the jacket. The grand total of the alterations and all the repairs is $365.00. I'll admit it was more than I expected but a whole lot less than a new suit. He guaranteed me this suit would look like it was made just for me when he is finished.

I pick it up on the 17th, I'll do another update then.

GWD

One Too Many
My tailor may have bit off more than he could chew.

Well Friday has come and gone still no suit! :rage: . I've been very patient though and haven't been pushy. Have have no immediate need for a pin striped suit, so I'm giving him plenty of time. I'll call again on Thursday. I really think it's more than he bargained on.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
GWD said:
Well Friday has come and gone still no suit! :rage: . My tailor may have bit off more than he could chew......I really think it's more than he bargained on.

Not necessarily. It's not unusual for tailors to run late, especially around this time of year with everyone getting their Summer wardrobes together.

That said, take a good long look at those trousers because more often than not re-cuts are less than spectacular. Make sure that the front crease runs straight down from waist, through the knee cap, down to the foot without flaring to the outside (a common problem). The side and inseams should be in alignment as well. The stride (from the crotch on up to the waist) is probably the trickiest part of the re-cut. Comfort, both while walking and seated, is paramount; and a poorly cut stride can affect how the trousers hang as well.

Be sure to try the suit on, with the tailor present, in front of a three-way mirror. It would be a rare thing for all the alterations to be perfect on the first try so be prepared to request any necessary adjustments. Approach it as a first fitting. Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe