Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I just got a fedora...

EDSLocklear

New in Town
I was just wondering a few things:

1. I'm getting a haircut soon, is this a good look with one?
leonardo_dicaprio-mens-hair-trends.jpg

This isn't the image I found on my iPod, but it's about the same thing.

2. What kind of clothes go great with them?
I basically have T-Shirts and a few button ups, but I have back-to-school shopping soon, so I want good clothes recommended.

3. Now this one is a little different:
I know schools usually ban hats, but is there a way to convince them I'm not in a gang? (I've looked around, and that seems to be one of the top reasons, along with them being a distraction). Like, if they choose the color, would they let me wear it? I'm going into High School, and my past teachers can vouch for me saying I'm not a troublemaker.

4. One last question, I have a fedora AND a flat cap. Are there certain times in the day where the other hat would be more appropriate?

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Welcome to the Lounge!

Yeah, I would say his haircut works well with a fedora. These shots are from Shutter Island.
Shutter-Island_4.jpg

shutter-island-publicity-still.jpg

shutter_island_dicaprio.jpg

As far as school is concerned, if they have a hat ban their definition pretty much covers "all" hats. If they let one person find a loophole every one will try. They are usually pretty hard nosed about such things even if all of your teachers can vouch for you. Basically, you up against a brick wall there.

Hope that helps out.

Cheers!

Dan

EDSLocklear

New in Town
Thanks! Too bad about the hat thing. Really, if it's such a distraction, I'll put it on my lap in class, wear it in the hallway... I'll have to have a word with them.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Well, more power to my friend. I hope you get your wish and can wear your lid around campus. Maybe they don't have a hat ban in the school you'll be attending. Let us know how that one turns out. Also, it would also be bad form to wear your hat in class anyway, so best to set it in your lap or under your seat.

Cheers!

Dan

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I was just wondering a few things:

1. I'm getting a haircut soon, is this a good look with one?
leonardo_dicaprio-mens-hair-trends.jpg

This isn't the image I found on my iPod, but it's about the same thing.

2. What kind of clothes go great with them?
I basically have T-Shirts and a few button ups, but I have back-to-school shopping soon, so I want good clothes recommended.

3. Now this one is a little different:
I know schools usually ban hats, but is there a way to convince them I'm not in a gang? (I've looked around, and that seems to be one of the top reasons, along with them being a distraction). Like, if they choose the color, would they let me wear it? I'm going into High School, and my past teachers can vouch for me saying I'm not a troublemaker.

4. One last question, I have a fedora AND a flat cap. Are there certain times in the day where the other hat would be more appropriate?

A nice Fedora would look just fine with that style of haircut. It's pretty much as most men wore there hair "back in the day" so to speak. As for wearing it at school, standard decorum for hat wearing is NOT to wear them indoors inside a building contrary to what most ballcap wearers do these daus so you should not wear it at school anyway. Keep it for after school and when you are with your friends and family. Enjoy it :)

harty

New in Town
Very classy style of haircut. It would look great with a fedora. Actually, this is how I would style my hair if I had enough of it. ;) As it is, the lack of hair on top has me keep it very short.

I agree with monbla about wearing hats indoors. I do understand how you would want to wear it to differentiate yourself from your classmates. Definitiely wear it outside before and after class. Another reason for the ban could be to help deter cheating. When I was in college, most profs would let guys wear ball caps but made them take it off or turn it backwards for tests.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
1. The hair style looks fine for wearing it with a hat. That's how I've done it the last few months and I find it looks better and is more comfortable when wearing a hat.

2. It's entirely up to you. I wear a suit and tie most days and a leather jacket, shirt and tie then few days I'm not wearing a suit or sports coat. If that's too much for you then wear jeans and T-shirts, or if you want to dress up a little bit more jeans/slacks and a shirt or polo shirt. For the record I wore my previously mentioned self-imposed dress code for the whole of my last year of school (the only year where there was no uniform).

3. Some schools may ban all hats even if it's usually children in baseball caps which cause problems, simply because people would complain if some hats were allowed and others weren't. Most schools have to make one rule which applies to everyone, so testimonials or not it's unlikely you'll be allowed to wear the hat if there's a ban on hats.

Rats Riley

A-List Customer
That's almost exactly how I wear mine. However I tend to leave my front bangs longer s I can pomp (push) my front bangs up. I also have more side burn and I taper my back down to nothing.

Ironically I tend to cut my hair shorter during the winter because of static.

I totally forgot about the no hats deal. They held summer school at the high school this year and I noticed that there were no hooks in the bathroom stalls. I remember back in the day there was a no hat policy in class. But to and from school was not a problem.

I'd say go with a couple 8pc caps for on the way to and from school. I wear one of many 8pc caps on the way to the Dept. and save my fedoras for off duty. However now that I have a couple stingy brims, I might go with one of those depending on the weather.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I don't know about anyone else, but for me and my hats, if I am out and about and go into a place, I just take the hat off and keep it with me unless I am in an establishment that has a hat check room, (rare these days). The ol' proverb out of sight out of mind come to pass for someone to snatch a hat just hanging someplace out of your line of sight.

MikeBravo

One Too Many
Interesting about the hat ban due to gangs. You might argue that you are wearing a fedora which is not a gang-style hat. Mind you, that might set up a precedent where gangbangers (love that word) wear fedoras. I don't think anybody wants that ;)

Of course the gang in A Clockwork Orange wore bowlers, so it's not that new

The Good

Call Me a Cab
In the picture with Leonardo DiCaprio, that's basically how my hair is combed on most days. That's a great haircut to go along with fedora wearing. During the era that this type of hat was worn most regularly, the side-part was very common.

hubbit

New in Town
Harry Anderson could always wear a hat indoors and look absolutely smashing. I think that was what sparked my fascination with vintage fedoras, but he also wore vintage ties and such. He had a standup act and appeared on Saturday Night Live in such attire, way before "Night Court".

That being said, my life is more or less the opposite. I live in an Orthodox Jewish culture where men all but SLEEP in their hats. Indoors, outdoors, in the synagogue, even in some cases boys in school. Everyone's in a hat all day long and half the night. I used to joke that we keep the trade alive. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mismichael