Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I got mine today!

H.Johnson

One Too Many
I am told that the HR department (it would have to be!) of a certain university in the UK has sent around an email asking its staff not to wear poppies in lectures as the act may upset Muslim students and others who object to the occupation of Iraq and Afghanistan...

I haven't seen proof of this, I hasten to add, but (as I believe Americans say) 'go figure...'

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I seem to recall seeing them at Memorial Day as much as at Veterans' Day. They really do belong to the Nov 11th holiday. I'm just reading Basil Liddell Hart's History of the first World War. That war was indescribably sad and tragic. Ten million killed. Even tho 5 times as many were killed in WW II, the horror and utter waste of human life in the First War still appall us today.
I was just remembering an old friend who had been in the band in the British army at Gallipoli at age 15. "They died like flies" was all he ever said about it.
Very very sad to contemplate. I will look for poppies the next few days.
Thanks for reviving this thread.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Yes, I've got mine. I ALWAYS buy a poppy, every year and wear it proudly. This year I got it from a vetran outside Woking train station.

Interestingly, we were always reminded by our teachers to bring money to school for a poppy when I was a child for ANZAC Day (25 April, our NZ national day of rememberance along with Australia). I don't think there was anyone who didn't get one. Then my mother would take me to the service on the Sunday at the local war memorial. I guess for her it was a link to her grandfather who served in WW1, but there were always alot of younger people there as well as vetrans.

It's important to remember those who need help nowdays, as well as the older generations. As the British Legion says - 'Always on active service'.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Indeed...

I will say its definitely not as common here as elsewhere.

I am thus trying to *cough* in my small way, get more Americans* aware of the poppy campaigns etc.

I have never worked someplace before where gentlemen came and had a table for a day to sell poppies. I suspect they do here, because I work for a defense contractor who deals in military stuff and thus probably has more veterans working here then your average company.

*I got started on it while I lived in England.

WH1

Practically Family
Miss Neecerie thanks for starting and keeping this thread alive. I received mine today. This is a great tradition unfortunately so many especially the younger people do not understand the significance of the poppy and the VFW's buddy program here in the states.
Here in Huntsville, Alabama they have begun another Veterans Day tradition. The Semper Fi organization hosts a Wounded Warriors Weekend. This year they are flying 30 wounded Marines and Soldiers and their family members in for a fully hosted weekend of events including a fishing tournament, the Marine Corps Birthday Ball on the evening of the 8th, a parade on Veterans Day and many other events. This is the second year they have done this and the community has been very supportive.
I am curious about the reception the veterans of the current conflict receiving at home in the NATO countries. Hopefully they are as supportive of their fighting men and women as most of the American public has been.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe