Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I can't believe it...

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
gussmay2.jpg

Forgotten Man said:
... it's a late 30s or early 40s Gus S. May... I know nothing of this brand other then it is stamped on the sweatband that it was sold at the Los Angeles Biltmore Hotel...
HarpPlayerGene said:
I think the May is the oldest. Looks like a pretty wide piece of leather inside. probably '40s, maybe earlier. I don't know much about this more obscure hat maker but I love these 'off' brand oldies.

Mr. Gus S. May was not a hatmaker or brand -- he was a Los Angeles haberdasher with a store (predictably named "Gus S. May") located inside downtown L.A.'s luxurious Biltmore Hotel. The haberdashery was in business from the '20s through the '60s. "Gus S. May" was a competitor of "Oviatt's", which was just a block away. (Meanwhile, James Oviatt had a branch store inside Beverly Hill's luxurious Beverly-Wilshire Hotel. Copycat...)

Forgotten Man's fedora was made by someone else for "Gus S. May". (Incidentally, Borsalino, Mossant and Knox also made hats specifically for "Oviatt's" -- sometimes these hats would only say "Oviatt's" on them, regardless of the maker.)

Here's a cool '40s-'50s shirt sold by "Gus S. May": http://www.rokit.co.uk/product.php?product_id=MC151103

M_Jones

One of the Regulars
Wow :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Thank you Marc for that excellent information. I love learning these kinds of things and it makes certain hats all the more special.

Forgotten Man, those are some nice hats!

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
kaosharper1 said:
And why didn't I hear about it? Was it a big sale by the old costumers?

I'm over in Pasadena.

Well, Western Costume only has a sale once a year in their back loading area... no other costumers are selling, just buying.

Hate to say it but, when something like this comes up, it rarely is broadcasted.

Marc Chevalier said:
gussmay2.jpg

Mr. Gus S. May was not a hatmaker or brand -- he was a Los Angeles haberdasher with a store (predictably named "Gus S. May") located inside downtown L.A.'s luxurious Biltmore Hotel. The haberdashery was in business from the '20s through the '60s. "Gus S. May" was a competitor of "Oviatt's", which was just a block away. (Meanwhile, James Oviatt had a branch store inside Beverly Hill's luxurious Beverly-Wilshire Hotel. Copycat...)

Forgotten Man's fedora was made by someone else for "Gus S. May". (Incidentally, Borsalino, Mossant and Knox also made hats specifically for "Oviatt's" -- sometimes these hats would only say "Oviatt's" on them, regardless of the maker.)

Here's a cool '40s-'50s shirt sold by "Gus S. May": http://www.rokit.co.uk/product.php?product_id=MC151103

Huh, howabout that... Lave it to Marc to know!;) It is a very fine hat, what make do you think it is Marc?

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Here's a shot of me wearin' the 70s Borsalino with 30s... and with a '28 Buick at an event in LA... but, I couldn't stand all the modern cars in the background so, I dropped the car and I into a much more appropriate setting. ;)

I call it: "On the lamb"
l_966f7d707f834dc081cf19fcbf242c6a.jpg

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Forgotten Man said:
Hate to say it but, when something like this comes up, it rarely is broadcasted.

Very true. These sales tend to be "to the trade": that is, they're aimed at other costumers and movie/TV/theatre wardrobe folks.

The L.A. Goodwill Industries sale back in 1993 is still talked about. Goodwill was letting go of a vast part of its "private collection": the finest stuff that had been given away to its L.A. thrift stores since the 1930s!!! -- never put on the selling floor, but culled for "the collection". I still regret not buying an incredible 1930s fur-lined, fur collared, double-breasted, belted-back, herringbone wool overcoat from Saks & Co. I could have had it for $150 ...

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
Hi Forgotten Man,
Have you been able to find someone who can clean hats in the L.A. area? I've got a couple of vintage fedoras that could use a good cleaning but hate to send them off to Optimo if there's a reliable local service. Congrats on the great hats from the film warehouse and from Orange...I've got to get down to the traffic circle and explore more often!
Best,
Steve

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82