Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I can't believe it...

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
My lovely gal insisted we get up at 5 am to prepare ourselves to leave Monrovia to North Hollywood to camp outside of Western Costume (Western Costume is the film industry's largest costume rental company in So Cal Since 1912) and when we get there, we're the first to wait.

The gates open at 7:30 we then drive into the main parking lot... we then stand around and wait for them to open the sale. 8:00 hits and we're off like thoroughbreds out of the starting gate at Santa Anita! lol

I found these two lovelies for only 5 bucks each!

This Borsalino isn't too shabby... by the semi long hair finish, tall crown and pleated ribbon I'd say this hat is early 30s. I did the Lee Tracey brim treatment on it...

bors.jpg

bors3.jpg

bors2.jpg

The second hat I found was this Disney job... This hat seems to be mid to late 30s to me... has no liner but retains it's original sweatband.

disneyc.jpg

disney2.jpg

disney3.jpg

Both hats need to be cleaned... the Disney is the worst of the two but, not too bad. I'm not sure about the liner and sweat band in the Borsalino, as to the age... Since it came from a costume house I'm sure they may have replaced the liner and such at one time. Any thoughts on the Borsi are more then welcome.

As an added bonus, here's a hat I bought in down town Orange a few months ago... it's a late 30s or early 40s Gus S May... I know nothing of this brand other then it is stamped on the sweatband that it was sold at the Los Angeles Biltmore Hotel... and on the other side of the band, it reads "Genuine Beaver twenty" and it only cost me $16 bucks... I believe it's a pretty good quality hat.

gussmay.jpg

gussmay3.jpg

gussmay2.jpg

So, what do ya think gents?

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
I think you are off by three or four decades on the age of the Borsalino. There is no need to replace a liner for a prop.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
carouselvic said:
I think you are off by three or four decades on the age of the Borsalino. There is no need to replace a liner for a prop.

If it's a 60s hat, they sure did a good job on makeing it not appear 60s! The hight of the crown is pushing 6" and the reverse taper is a dead ringer for an earlier hat. Also has the "wind trolly" and no hat I've seen from the 60s has one of them.

A hat from Western Costume is not a just a prop, it was more then likely worn by many extras in many films from the 30s to the time I bought it. If a hat goes through that much use, I'm sure they may have replaced some things. Never before have I seen a ribbon like this or such strong 30s styling in a post war hat.

The liner and such are signs of it being later then earlier but, the hat it's self tells another story. It is a bit of a curve ball... eh, whatever it looks earlier so, I'm happy.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
You asked for opinons and I gave you mine. You sure don't have to agree with me. Where did you get the idea that wind trollies did not exist in the 60's?

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
carouselvic said:
You asked for opinons and I gave you mine. You sure don't have to agree with me. Where did you got the idea that wind trollies did not exist is in the 60's?

I did ask for an opinion, I didn't mean to come off strong if I did. ;)

I've seen many 60s hats and the ones I've seen never had a wind trolly. If you saw this hat in person, it would toss you for a loop I'm sure.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
I think the May is the oldest. Looks like a pretty wide piece of leather inside. probably '40s, maybe earlier. I don't know much about this more obscure hat maker but I love these 'off' brand oldies.

The Borsalino is probably '50s/'60s, and the Disney is probably '50s.

No matter. They are all beauties to me. And as great a name as Borsalino is, the real scores are the Disney and the May.

Does the Disney read, "Disney Twenty", on the sweat band? Is it a functional wind trolley or elastic decoration? If so, I have a Disney of that same model and style but in different color. See link below including a liner shot. It is one of my top ten favorite hats of all.

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii79/harpplayergene/Disney Twenty/

I'd be very happy to have picked these up.

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
:eek:fftopic:

Sorry about the off topic here but, Gene, can you give the list of your top 10?

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Garrett said:
:eek:fftopic:

Sorry about the off topic here but, Gene, can you give the list of your top 10?

Great idea for a thread! I'll do a search to see if it's already been started and if not, I'll kick it off.

I must admit, however, that you have really busted me on this because any time I try to determine this for myself it turns out that I have about 27 hats in my Top Ten. lol

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
carouselvic said:
You asked for opinons and I gave you mine. You sure don't have to agree with me.
I don't want to be Mr. Buttinsky here, vic, but what F-Man really asked for was thoughts. Why do you think he's off?

Opinions are like arches. Everyone's got a couple, and most of them need supporting.

(FWIW, I had thought trolley cords were more common after WW2 than before. But only because some Lounger said so.)

HarpPlayerGene said:
I think the May is the oldest. Looks like a pretty wide piece of leather inside. probably '40s, maybe earlier. I don't know much about this more obscure hat maker but I love these 'off' brand oldies.

The Borsalino is probably '50s/'60s, and the Disney is probably '50s.

No matter. They are all beauties to me. And as great a name as Borsalino is, the real scores are the Disney and the May.

I'd be very happy to have picked these up.

Sounds about right. I'd guess the May is '40s, but not earlier.

EVEN-STEVEN

One of the Regulars
Forgotten Man said:
My lovely gal insisted we get up at 5 am to prepare ourselves to leave Monrovia to North Hollywood to camp outside of Western Costume (Western Costume is the film industry's largest costume rental company in So Cal Since 1912) and when we get there, we're the first to wait.

Great lids! How often does Western Costume have sales? (I live in Van Nuys)

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Forgotten Man said:
Any thoughts on the Borsi are more then welcome.
So, what do ya think gents?

He asked, my responce was very direct "I think you are off by three or four decades". From what I can see in those photos, the liner, the sweatband and the Bayer hang tag all tell me that that hat was made much latter than the 30's.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Very nice haul for the money!

I can't speak to the Borsalino or May, but have two questions on the Disney. Is that an overwelt? It almost looks like it, rather than a Cavanagh Edge. Also, is the sweatband ribbon a Hat Corp. tassel, or a later, standard-style bow from Lee?

Does Western Costume regularly offer sales like this?

Thanks,

Brad

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
carouselvic said:
He asked, my responce was very direct "I think you are off by three or four decades". From what I can see in those photos, the liner, the sweatband and the Bayer hang tag all tell me that that hat was made much latter than the 30's.
Love those hats. But carouselvic is right:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=100771&postcount=53

It's the Eulan Bayer tag on the sweat that gives it away.

The important thing to remember is that Borsalinos remained
top quality till around 1980.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
feltfan said:
Love those hats. But carouselvic is right:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=100771&postcount=53

It's the Eulan Bayer tag on the sweat that gives it away.

The important thing to remember is that Borsalinos remained
top quality till around 1980.

Rats! Anyone want a Borsalino? lol

Oh well, it sure does look early... had me fooled.

Brad Bowers said:
Very nice haul for the money!

I can't speak to the Borsalino or May, but have two questions on the Disney. Is that an overwelt? It almost looks like it, rather than a Cavanagh Edge. Also, is the sweatband ribbon a Hat Corp. tassel, or a later, standard-style bow from Lee?

Does Western Costume regularly offer sales like this?

Thanks,

Brad

It is a Cavanagh Edge.

EVEN-STEVEN said:
Great lids! How often does Western Costume have sales? (I live in Van Nuys)

Nope, just once a year in May.

tonyb said:
Sounds about right. I'd guess the May is '40s, but not earlier.

Not necessarily so. We must remember that by 1938 or so crowns started to come down in height also, even in the late 20s through the 30s most hat manufacturers had different hat styles, they all weren't high crown models. ;) I've seen photos of men wearing hats much like the Gus May I have in the late 30s and early 40s... to be fair, I'd put it right in the pre-war years of 39-42.

Fletch said:
(FWIW, I had thought trolley cords were more common after WW2 than before. But only because some Lounger said so.)

No offence but, a lot of Loungers say things but doesn't always mean it's correct. (myself included) lol

I have some 30s hats with wind cords... I even have seen bowlers and Homburgs with them. They go way back mostly on costlier hats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82