Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hunting for a Good G-1 Source-New/Custom

sixties.nut

Howdy, I'm new to this site. I joined to hear back from some of you that's got some experience dealing with leather G-1 type coats. I've emailed a few of them and some have even replied back to me. The friendliest response was to tell me 'buy my stock jacket' and we'll go from there.

Either the leather tradesmen are a little on the peculiar side or 'bidness' is downright good and all this we hear about a recession is just horsefeathers, looking at this kind of money. I'm hoping to get a custom G-1 made to my specs not Mil-Specs. I didn't like the Mil-Spec version thiry years ago when it was issued to me. This time around I want a WARM jacket and with POCKETS.

So if anybody has any experience recently with a company with good customer relations I'd be much obliged to hear back from you on where you got yours. I appreciate your time either way. I've looked thru most all these topic with mixed reviews, and I'm not so much a big fan of the auction sites. Anyone care to comment.

Thank You Kindly,
Mike

P.S. Forgot to mention, there some great people writing things here. Howdy Ya'll

CBI

One Too Many
Lots of real navy issue G-1's on eBay - always a good selection and prices!

Papa M

A-List Customer
Hi Mike

If you want it custom then you would probably be wise to talk to Aero. They will be happy to build exactly what you specify.

Guns3

New in Town
Custom G-1

Flight Suits Ltd, aka Gibson & Barnes, are the makers the USN uses for "odd size" G-1s for Naval Flight Crew. You can find them on the web and give them a call. R, Guns3

442RCT

One of the Regulars
Orchard M/C Leather has a pretty sweet deal being offered on ebay. They have their G-1 jackets on sale in the$ 110 range.

The G-1 has been given pretty favorable reviews by the Vintage Leather Jackets Forum guys who've recently purchased them, VLJ guys know their leather jackets, and for me, this is a pretty good endorsement. I don't even need another G-1, but felt like buying another one just because it was such a good deal.

"My G-1 came today. I have returned it for a larger size.

Please let me say this: Judging from what I saw today, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the quality of these jackets. If the larger jacket turns out to be as good as the one I got today...and I've no reason to think it won't...it will likely become my most worn G-1...hands down."

The bonus about these jackets is they are factory direct and they are working with the buyer in regards to sizing. Since they seem to be making the jackets when ordered, you can probably ask them if they can build in the custom features you want for an extra fee.

:Available in all sizes upon request!

I'd post the URL on eBay but was told that this is against forum rules.
So if you're interested, you'll have to do your own search on ebay.
"G-1 goatskin" then look for seller: orchardmotorcycledist.inc

For reviews of this jacket and transactions with this seller, they can be found on the Vintage Leather Jacket Forum.

sixties.nut

Thanks for all the Info People !!!

Gentlemen,

Thanks for all the replies. Good thing I posted this question here, the responses helped me by not jumping the gun cause I sure did have the 'burning-the-hole-in-the-pocket syndrome towards getting this jacket!

(CBI) - I'm hesitant to join the auction site, I bought something from them via one of their members that I know. The item got to me alright but was less than expected. But I do use them as a yardstick to determine a ballpark price on something I'm looking for.

(Papa M) - Now that I know just a little more than what I DID know (which isn't a lot) even right now, to get the jacket I'm looking for I now understand I will pretty much have to be looking at Aero for the source. They are of course on the high end of the scale along with John's product. I know also that the jacket won't be here in time for this winter. But none the less I'll have to start looking at the higher end sources instead of the mid-range/entry level garments. I will say this...

Not knowing Shirt from Shineola, I sent John a e-mail message (by this I mean) I didn't know that he was the GO-TO guy, and got a very informative response back. The other fellow didn't even bother with the newbie. Maybe I was the 22nd Tire-Kicker of the day, I don't know for sure. But in my book John Chapman is an alright good guy!

(Peacoat) - Thanks for the welcome. I'm with you man, Papa M - I am picking up what he is laying down!

(Guns3) - Once I receive my 45/P jacket from g-b, if it turns out suitable, I will definately give them a shot with a G-1 in short order. Even when I do get a high end jacket from either John or AERO. One thing is for sure! I won't be having any patches sewn on that jacket!!!

So eventually I'll have two jackets (I'm still not a collector) :eek:) In the short term, I hope to re-create a G-1 that I had issued to me in the late sixties and with this one, I'll have 'my' version of the Top Gun. I know what your thinking... Who does he think he is? Tom Krutches ? :eek:)

(442RCT) - Thanks, do you have a phone or address for Orchard? Google is not my friend with this one. For 110 I can afford to make a mistake, just to see what I get.

(J B) - I read where your getting your jacket from and I looked at their site, they sell the cockpit brand. This is the brand I was told to check out by the man who I tracked down to get some of the hard to find unit patches. I don't know if it means anything but it is certain he know more about jacket/patches than I do. Others here can offer more informed opinions. Well thats all I learned about this subject this week. I'm sure am glad to hear from all of you!

Regards,
Mike

442RCT

One of the Regulars
That Orchard deal was on eBay, and the forum rules forbid me to post the url for you and others who might have been interested. Right now it's a moot point as the 'deal' has elapsed. I don't know if it's the truth or not, but the manufacturer was selling the jackets at a discount to keep his employees busy. I thought about ordering one, but already own 8-10 used military G-1s. Orchard may or may not offer the 'deal' in the future.

Another member of Vintage Leather Jackets Forum posted these pics of the jacket he received from Orchard, looked well worth the $ 110.00.;)

381823548.jpg

381823540.jpg

381823545.jpg

Fiver64

Practically Family
Custom jacket

As you mentioned "custom" jackets........ have you contacted "Fishmeok" (Mark) on this forum? Does beautiful work and at an excellent price. Might be worth checking in?

sixties.nut

How to Contact Mark?

Is there an contact email to reach Mark? I lucked up on an A-2 in pretty good shape and a great price yesterday, but I'm still hunting around for a good G-1.

Thanks!

sixties.nut

Forgot to add this info

When I say custom. I just mean that idealy I would like to have a thinsulate material shell underneath the lining. 2. have a few patches sewn on 'before' the lining is sewn. 3. I have to have hand warmer pockets hiden under the cargo pockets. Nothing major I had originally thought. In case Mark finds this message.

My original issued G-1 was flimsy and cold. At the time I got it, it occurred to me that it was a 'knock off' purchased by the station commander who had a brother-in-law who made jackets in Okinawa. But man it sure looked good. HA HA HA.

Of all the junk that they issued me, that was the only item they made dang sure to get back. I gave it up with a smile and fond farewell too!

Regards,

BigHairyFinn

One of the Regulars
As you cannot link to eebers, theres however taylorsleatherwear (that does the police uniforms) which sells their off-line stuff there. I got a thinsulated G-1 for... was it $53 + postage. One with hidden pockets but "bang for the buck" definitely. I'll dig a pic...

Fiver64

Practically Family
Taylors leatherwear

Like some less-than-top-shelf brands, often crucified on FL, I've worn Taylor's duty jackets almost every day for the last 16 years......... tough as nails, and tend to look better and better the more beat they get. $50 is a steal for a real workhorse. I had one of their A-2s years ago. Made well, looked good, but not trying to be very authentic. Great score!

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I had a $99 sale G-1 from Taylor's about four years ago. I sent it back because it didn't fit, but it was definitely a great jacket for that price. Maybe not as good as a G&B (I have one of their Historical M-422As and it's awesome!), but certainly comparable to G-1s in the $300 range.

I just checked their website, and alas, it doesn't look like they're offering G-1s - or running their own online store - at this point. Too bad.

BigHairyFinn

One of the Regulars
We've had a blizzard and -20C here and I've worn my G-1 without even having the normal layer of sweaters underneath. Definitely the thinsulate lining does the job. Of course its a "modern" cut, and I got mine baggy just to fit those layers underneath, but no complaints.... except maybe the button stitching didn't last for long but which modern buttons do?

Blue Alii

New in Town
G-1

Gibson & Barnes and U.S. Authentic offer G-1 jackets that exceed current Milspec quality. Both offer the G-1 with side entry pockets off the rack. U.S. Authentic has a number of custom options. G&B does custom work but it is unclear from their website if this extends to leather apparel.

G&B leather is very high quality. The knits on their standard G-1 jackets are synthetic and tend to pill with hard use.

The U.S. Authentic G-1 has a pointed collar, scalloped pockets, and rib knit wasitband/cuffs like the 40's-50's era jackets, but has a paperclip-type zipper like the VN era jackets. It also has civilian-style two-tone "swirl" pocket buttons.

In my experience, U.S. Authentic offers better individual customer service than G&B.

sixties.nut

Good Opinions Here, that money couldn't buy

Well little did I know, that nite late last week while I was walking down the sidewalk, just in time to look up and see (or aledgedly see I might add) Lefty Sanderson and Porky Jones shoot out the backlight to the Fedoraville Town Hall clock then running off in the opposite direction laffing real big. That when I ducked into this Lounge that there would be so many well informed and well dressed customers here! But boy I sure am glad I did and not only to throw off the cops but I'm actually beginning to learn some things here.

This week I received by mail the patches from grunt dot com; and, marinepatches dot com so I'm good to go on that part. Yeah I guess you can tell I'm fired up just with that little bit out of the way. I also scored an A-2 here in the classified's in pretty good shape so I won't be modifying it with any patches. There's far two few of them like that for me to be trashing it up anyway. Maybe when it comes in I'll put it on and walk down the lake for a good shake down, even if it is more like a speed walk you know cause it is mighty cold here this week.

I've been reading all your advise and comments and I do Thank You all, I've been looking at the Taylors website I'll try to give them a call on Monday about the G-1 style. Chances are they can still make one if the call came in for one. Looking at their fine print it looks like they have a distributor in the town I work in. This shop is like the Harry Winston's of leather goods though. More interestingly is that their factory is one town over from where the guy's are going for the Hat factory tour. Hmm???

Wouldn't it be funny to get them to go and pick up a coat for me? Twenty or Thirty guys showing up all dressed in Fedora hats... Uh, we're here to pick up a coat for sixties. He ordered it in a forty four romeo, is it ready ??? (yeah, that'll happen) LOL

It's good to hear back from you all. I'll keep you posted, hopefully before I pull the trigger on one. Scratch that, Definately before I pull the trigger.

Thanks All,
Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe