Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hugh Jackman hosting the Oscars - Black / White Tie

3PieceSuitGuy

One of the Regulars
As a fellow Aussie I think his standard of dress was near perfect. I'm giving him 9.5/10! .5 deduction is for the pre tied bows. Otherwise he was dressed classically and looked fantastic. What did you all think?

Cheers

Peter.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
The only times white tie is acceptable are a) if it's compulsory, say at a private event like the old school Oscars, or b) if you're doing theater, music or dance. HJ did the seemly thing and changed right back to black tie after the Anne Hathaway number.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
3PieceSuitGuy said:
I don't think your avatar looks anything like how the attrocious Mickey Rourke looks or how he was dressed last night.

Archie Goodwin and I appreciate your defense of the white suit and spectators.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I think the boutonniere is a bit too large.

eng_hugh_gbs_BM_Bay_759406g.jpg
astairevest23zj.jpg

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
As far as I know, that heavy makeup is pretty typical for large scale stage type productions. But in that close up, you're right, it's a bit heavy. And the tux is pretty much perfectly cut/proportioned. I really dug that musical number.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
I remember Hugh when he was a student at WAPA, and waited tables at valentino's in the early 1990's he was always funny and courteous,I remember he offered a tissue to a chum who was Tired and emotional because Freddie Mercury had just died, anyhow missed the broadcast the flower looks OK

1398084-Valentinos-Perth.jpg

Edward

Bartender
I'm not a fan of the Oscars at all, but it's nice to hear that the standard of dress as good, judging from this thread... I'm always slightly horrified at what passes for aceptable in Hollywood these days - especially at film premieres here in London where half the male stars show up in ratty denim.... The ladies typically make more of an effort; probably this has a lot to do with the fact that they will be the ones who come in for criticism if they get it "wrong."

Personally, i wish white tie was more commonly worn again...

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Fletch said:
The only times white tie is acceptable are a) if it's compulsory, say at a private event like the old school Oscars, or b) if you're doing theater, music or dance. HJ did the seemly thing and changed right back to black tie after the Anne Hathaway number.

I'm not all that savvy about formal attire, so can you educate me, please? Why is wearing a white tie unacceptable?

Last night, I attended a screening of EX-LADY (1933) starring Bette Davis and in the last fifteen minutes of the picture, Gene Raymond, Frank McHugh, and Monroe Owsley are all seen sporting white bow ties with their black tails.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Basically, white tie today is seen as so very formal that wearing it to a serious black-tie event can be understood as clueless at best and showing off at worst. Ironically enough, this might not have been quite so true in the 1930s as it is today, if only because the uniform was a little more prominent in the culture of that era.

It's best reserved for the most private of functions, where tradition is behind it. Today's typical well-dressed gentleman really has no call for white tie unless he has fraternal or diplomatic associations that require it, or is, like Jackman, a performing artist.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Fletch said:
Basically, white tie today is seen as so very formal that wearing it to a serious black-tie event can be understood as clueless at best and showing off at worst.

Interesting, thanks.

In the movie, the trio of actors I cited were just wearing evening clothes for a night on the town; they were not attending any sort of formal event.

So the notion of white tie being extremely formal strikes me as likely a (relatively) recent development.

I don't own a white tie and have no particular yen to, but if I did and were so inclined, I think I'd sport it sans guilt or embarrassment.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
skyvue said:
notion of white tie being extremely formal strikes me as likely a (relatively) recent development.
If by recent you mean like over a century.[huh]

BTW, White Tie is referred to as Formal, Black Tie as Semi-Formal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld