Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to take taper out of a Stylemaster

memphislawyer

Practically Family
I saw a remark in another thread that said this:

You have a lot of taper on your Stylemaster. One thing you might want to try is adjusting the crease on your hat. If you try a diamond crease it will reduce the taper and widen (and straighten) the top of the crown a little. That might be better for your facial features

pics of me in the stylemaster:

P3190368-1.jpg

P3190366.jpg

P3190367.jpg

Any suggestions on what I should do, not having really any tools? Or take it to Mr. Hats and pay them to do it?

I'd be happy to walk you through steaming and working a diamond into that hat. Get a cheap tea kettle, nothing fancy or expensive....something for like 10 bucks or less. A gallon of distilled water......and take off that whistle spout on the kettle......fashion out a tube and a bend, heck I've made them with a papertowel tube and tin foil.....All you need is a decent eye and some patience......I will help you out.

Drop me a line.

Tim

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Distilled water in a spray bottle is much easier to work with than steam.

Shaping in a teardrop is not hard. Find a picture of a tear-dropped hat. There are plenty on FL. Wet your hat, put it on your head, and press the crown down onto your head, leaving the front pinch as is. Take it off your head and adjust the height of the sides and back, molding in the ridge and the break to the dome. Use the pictures you found as a guide. Don't be afraid to play with it. When you're happy with the shape, sit it right side up on the bottom of a large bowl to dry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe