Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to Reasearch Your Relative's WWII US Army Service

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Thanks to a tip from June, I asked my library to buy this book and they did so right away. I can't recommend it highly enough:

1932033149.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_AA240_.jpg

Finding Your Father's War by Jonathan Gawne is a well-presented, step-by-step guide to doing the research necessary to retrace a man's service in the United States Army during World War Two. It begins by explaining how military service worked at the time from draft to discharge. This part alone should be required reading as it is so simply and understandably explained.
This is the first book I have read that is throughly modern in that is crosses media lines - the author recognizes that available information is constantly changing and provides web links throughout so you can stay current. Brilliant!
He tells you exactly where to look, who to talk to, where to visit, and what techniques are available. Insignia and medals are explained. How to look at a photograph from the war and plumb it for clues. GREAT STUFF.

I can't recommend this book more highly.

As an aside - it is also printed on very heavy, glossy stock and will hold up to years of thumbing. Cheap at $16.50.

Feraud

Bartender
Thank you for posting this.
Both my wife and I have releatives that served in WWII.
We know very little about their service and are seeking information about their service.
This looks like a useful tool.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Interesting. My Dad was drafted in late December 1943 sent to boot camp in Wichita Falls, Texas, then sent to Idaho for a couple months, then spent the rest of the war in Marin County, CA.

My Mom's uncle was killed in the Phillippines towards the end of the War in 1945. It would be interesting to find out about his service. The military didn't even tell his wife he was killed until late 1946. He's buried in the National Cemetary in San Bruno, CA.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Part of the key to some of this WAS at the St. Louis Records Center. some disgruntled employee started a fire back in llike 1972 and wiped out every vestage of some people's records. My Dad was one of them. He'd thought about getting his records with his flight time hours so he could get into flying again, maybe helocopters. He was so sad when he received the reply. It was as if he never existed in the military.:(

June

Familiar Face
Scotrace, glad you like the book :) Every time I open it (and that's quite often), I discover something new. Like you, I can't recommend it enough. Enjoy !

Monsoon

A-List Customer
Part of the key to some of this WAS at the St. Louis Records Center. some disgruntled employee started a fire back in llike 1972 and wiped out every vestage of some people's records. My Dad was one of them. He'd thought about getting his records with his flight time hours so he could get into flying again, maybe helocopters. He was so sad when he received the reply. It was as if he never existed in the military.:(

I know the St Louis fire wasn't as bad as a lot of guys think. I believe it nailed mainly WW2 vets with the last names beginning with L thru Mc, or something odd like that.

Sorry your dad was one of the victims.

31 Model A

A-List Customer
I know the St Louis fire wasn't as bad as a lot of guys think. I believe it nailed mainly WW2 vets with the last names beginning with L thru Mc, or something odd like that.

Sorry your dad was one of the victims.

You are correct about the L thru M. I was able to retrieve my father's records with his last name starting with W.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82