Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to Pull Off a Look

Grimstar

Familiar Face
ArrowCollarMan said:
... Until I can afford the money for a custom-made suit I think I'll just be where I am now. By the way, how much does a custom-made suit cost? On average?

That depends on just how much "custom" you want...there are places on the 'net selling made to measure suits (or so they claim...I have some doubts) for around $300 US. See Hemingways post on his new suit for an example...from what I've seen, sometimes you get lucky with that (like he did...nice suit, Hemingway) and sometimes you don't. Made to measure suits start at around $300-$400 dollars US. True custom generally starts out at around $1000 or more...and the sky's the limit...I have seen custom suits at around $6000-$7000 dollars. They were done in unusual and expensive materials, though. And that's not even considering the "Golden Bale" (don't get me started on that). All that being said...you can get custom cheaper. If you source the cloth yourself, and find a good tailor in an out of the way place (The ones who actually make up the garments, not the custom houses) you can get custom made for about half the usual price. I know of a good link that describes the process...if I can find it, I'll edit and post it here.
Ah ha...found the link... http://www.bownsbespoke.com/george.htm this is actually about buying a custom overcoat...but the process is the same.

Renee

Familiar Face
ArrowCollarMan said:
The jeans, yeah, I can see why thats a big deal.

ACM, the jeans really aren't that big of a deal. In fact, they're practical and durable for every day wear. They were work clothes, and right now school is your "daily work". :)

The thing is, if you want to pull off more of a vintage look, you need to study the context in which denim was worn. You also need to study the fabrics it was worn with, which were all sturdier "working" fabrics. Denim wasn't worn with a dress blazer or hat, but the corduroy blazer pictured in one of your first shots is quite appropriate with denim.

If you're not sure of which period you're particularly interested in, then study the different eras. Try to look at as many pictures as you can. Get a feel for both work and dress clothes (two looks you'll need in daily life). Then, before buying anything new, see what you can do with the clothes you already own (always shop your closet first). Buying new/vintage clothes indiscriminately can get expensive! You can then tweak and gradually work into a more vintage look, as items wear out and funds come in for new things. But having a clear idea of what you want or need makes things easier.

BTW, I think you could pull off a 1930s look quite well! :)

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Jeans I figure I'll still need because they are druable and salcks arn't always the best thing for everything...unless I can find more druable slacks.

Not true at ALL. I know many of the people here are migrants from Club Obi-wan and they can testify that the khakis that some of the Indiana Jones-philes wear are just as sturdy as jeans. http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?page=dress-chinos&categoryId=35346&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=3511&cat4=6352&shop_method=pp&feat=dp26

Dressing vintage doesn't have to be completely formal, frail, and dandy-ish. I am certainly not dressed in a suit every day, but I make an effort to look old-school. That could mean a brown bomber jacket or an Indiana Jones style jacket, a nice fedora, tie, and slacks with sturdy shoes. This is really my school/work casual clothes. This ensemble is really quite flexible- you can still tuck you tie in, roll up your sleeves, and really get down to work. Dressing vintage-esque in high school isn't the easiest...but it's do-able.
383586079_l.jpg

I really agree with what everyone here has said- it takes time, but developing a vintage 20-40's look doesn't have to rely on custom or even vintage clothing. I only have a few vintage items and very few custom pieces. Yes, getting into your best stuff feels good, but you don't have to jump from wearing a very modern look straight into the coat tails or frock coats to school. I will admit to buying (although selectively) clothes from places like Gap, Abercrombie, Hollister, etc. I probably only wear a suit to school once every week or two, simply because it's usually impractical in my high school environment. It's about the little changes- tucking your shirt in (assuming your wearing a collared shirt), wearing pants that hit your real waist (aka belly button), finding a pair of comfortable sturdy leather shoes that you won't mind scuffing but can be polished up should the occassion call...stuff within your price range and reach.

BTW, I just got a pair of button-fly, straight leg jeans from Hollister. Certainly not vintage, but atleast I can roll it up to make a cuff.

I believe in you! Best of luck!
394494196RDhHkk_ph.jpg

P.S. Just to console you that you are not the only one that wears dress shirts with jeans....this is from when I was first getting into vintage
(Rob is going to kill me....):
394491753ztviKj_ph.jpg

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
i'm not a fan of the jeans and blazer look, but if ever i've seen it work then it's that guy on the left. i think it's the cap that makes it look from another time (which it is).

the guy in the middle might be wearing jeans too, but it's hard to be certain because of the lack of turn-up.

ArrowCollarMan

A-List Customer
I drew a picture of an idea I had for the next colder season.

clothingidear.jpg

I most of what you see. What I would really want is the high top shoes and the flannel-like slacks. The vest I could probably live without but I do like it (I'd get to show off my watch chain). The shoes seem like the hardest to come by. There are always converse avaliable, but I don't want those. I remember finding a pair of high-top leather dress shoes like that of yesteryear. I would have gotten them but they ddin't have my size. I bet my dad would know where to find them...I do need new dress shoes.

Briscoeteque

One of the Regulars
You could get a pair of black lightweight leather boots, that's what I wear to save my feet during these Maine winters, and they don't look out of place as long as my pant leg's draped over them.

ArrowCollarMan

A-List Customer
Meh, on that pair the sole was peeling off the left shoe. They also wrinkle like a bitch! Shoes shouldn't wrinkle like that. Oh well. The problem is that price range for the shoes. If I were to buy it for that much it had better last me a couple years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe