Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to incorporate high-tech items into your vintage lifestyle?

DerMann

Practically Family
Miss Neecerie said:
This on call 24-7 thing...is a myth.

The person holding the phone can indeed still chose to operate the -off- switch...or decline to answer the phone.

So just like answering one's home phone, it's the -picking up- of the call that makes it on your terms, and not the caller's terms.

Mistaking lack of willpower to -not answer- with being forced to answer......

(exceptions include jobs where you are -paid- to answer...then you are working, and working has -never included- a guarantee of personal will)

While you may not be answering the phone 24/7, people believe that they can contact you whenever they "need" to.

For example, once whilst visiting the college I now attend, one of my brother's friends (who I dislike immensely) called me and asked for a lift. Being not only without my car but more than 1000 miles away, I told him it would be impossible for me to do so.

The concept that someone is unreachable is unknown to most of the people (adult and my age) that I have encountered.

I'll still probably buy an iPhone clone when they come out :/

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
But see.....

You -stop- answering every last time the phone rings...They can contact me....when they like, but I assert -my- right to contact them when I have time.

and people start getting the idea pretty darn fast. ;)

And honestly...do -we- care if people -expect- something that we have not promised them? I have not promised anyone that I will answer phone, or be available....what's it to -me- if they chose to be disappointed? That's -their- issue, not mine.

Unless it's my boss (within reasonable limits), or my mother...I am not honour bound to answer in a timely manner. ;)

Warbaby

One Too Many
Quigley Brown said:
I just don't understand why people want to stay in contact with the outside world 24/7.

I couldn't agree more! I have a cell phone - a 4 year old Nokia that I got on eBay for 20 bucks and use with prepaid time, but the only time I use it is when I'm driving more than a few miles from home in case the car breaks down, when I have to meet someone somewhere in case I'm lost or late, and when I go to Europe I have prepaid SIMS that I pop in for wherever I am. Call me a Luddite, but I have absolutely no interest in checking my email, surfing the web, listening to music, or taking photos with my phone.

OTOH, if I could afford it I'd get one of those old-time rotary dial cell phones and carry it everywhere. Too cool!

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
DerMann said:
While you may not be answering the phone 24/7, people believe that they can contact you whenever they "need" to.

This is true; I've fallen into that trap myself.

Here's my philosophy: I like being able to call from anywhere, and I like to be notified about a call, just in case it really is urgent. But, I don't really want to be available to everyone all the time. Simply because I have a cell phone with me doesn't mean that I want to be bothered while shopping or working or whatever. This is why I have voicemail.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I was at a Veteran's Day ceremony yesterday and right in the middle of it one of soldiers cell phone went off with the most awful ringtone. It ruined the whole atmosphere.

Josephine

One Too Many
vintage68 said:
I'm just cracking myself up every time I fantasize about buying the rotary phone and taking it with my on the bus for my daily commute...lol Can you imagine the looks I'd get from my fellow commuters...?:D

I really want to get the Retro Phone Handset which plugs into your existing cell phone. You have your cell phone in your pocket/purse/whatever and the curly cord comes out to the handset that you're talking on!

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
Josephine said:
I really want to get the Retro Phone Handset which plugs into your existing cell phone. You have your cell phone in your pocket/purse/whatever and the curly cord comes out to the handset that you're talking on!

Oh my god. Until this moment, I didn't know what I was going to ask for for Christmas. This is really wonderful! I know I'll need to use bigger handbags, but my god, that is absolutely worth the effect!

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Miss Neecerie said:
This on call 24-7 thing...is a myth.

The person holding the phone can indeed still chose to operate the -off- switch...or decline to answer the phone.

Yup, and 90% of the time my phone is on silent anyway, so I don't even have to hear it ring. :) I just call people back whenever I feel like it.

I grew up with all this technology, so I don't mind it. I don't wholly embrace it though, and I'm not going to get an iPhone until they are ubiquitous. I love my mp3 player dearly though. If you want to vintage-fy it, there are people that make and sell wood grain iPod skins and this person, who makes lovely wooden cases for them: http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?ref=sr_list_5&listing_id=17057422

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Love the handset!

I have to have my phone all the time, as it is my only phone, and it is how people reach me to hire me. But it does rather spoil the effect when you're all vintage and talking on the Treo. Those handsets are awesome, and with a big purse, rather doable.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
It looks like I am definitely moving into this era of high tech doodaddery while maintaining my out-of-date charms, however there has been a last minute change of plan. I'm pretty sure I am not getting an iphone but a Blackberry Bold instead. My primary need for one is email, and after researching it extensively, it seems that Blackberry is better for my needs. I also really like a QWERTY keypad best.

Edward

Bartender
I was completely the other way around from most folks - I've had a mobile for years, but I was in my flat for two years before I gave in and had a landline installed. If I'd been able to access the internet more cheaply at home via the mobile, I would never have a land line at all. I'm far from opposed to non-vintage technology, though I do prefer it to have a vintage aesthetic whenever possible.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I got my BlackBerry Bold yesterday and am very happy with it! I have the real phone bell ring for incoming calls and an old bicycle bell for my email alerts. I tried out the iPhone in the store and didn't like the on-screen keyboard because my fingers kept touching the letter next to the one I wanted, resulting in multiple typos! The BlackBerry keyboard is really swell and so is the display.

Wil Tam

Practically Family
upgraded to the 3G a while ago

I'm too much of a tech-head to walk around without my gadgets .. iPhone with Eytomics stereo headset .. SureFire & Wave [without holster] that I keep in my coat pocket.

Easier during the Fall & Winter months because I can wear my long overcoat which has pockets a plenty. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe