Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many cars have you owned?

GeniusInTheLamp

One of the Regulars
1980 Oldsmobile Omega, black (a hand-me-down from my parents while I attended college in the mid 1980s; a nice-looking car, but a complete lemon)
1988 Mercury Topaz, red (purchased in 1990, totalled when a tree fell on it during a storm)
1994 Chevrolet Cavalier, red (starting here, the rest of my car were new purchases)
2000 Volkswagen Jetta, green
2006 Volkswagen Jetta, silver

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Neat thread.

I've never owned a car. In fact, I've never had a driver's license.

I flunked at age 16 by running over pylons during the parallel parking portion (the test administrator had to pull them out of the space between the car and the bumper; very embarassing).

The fact that I took the test in my grandfather's yacht-like (17.5') 1972 Ford Galaxie might have had something to do with my failure (you must be a gifted driver to have manuvered that monster LizzieMaine!).

72large.jpg

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Let's see, I'm sure I'll miss one or two. Started driving around 1972 on back roads. I got my license in 1976 at age 15, which was legal in Hawaii at the time.

1. 1969 VW Beetle, blue
2. 1969 MG Midget, red
3. 1970 Plymouth Barracuda, lime green
4. 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T, white
5. 1970 Plymouth Duster 340, purple
6. 1969 Imperial LeBaron, black
7. 1982 Yamaha Vision, black
8. 1970 Dodge Challenger convertible, green
9. 1983 Yamaha Virago 750, red
10. 1979 Dodge Ramcharger, blue
11. 1978 Plymouth Volare, green
12. 1976 Dodge Dart, green
13. 1968 Chrysler New Yorker, green
14. 1987 Dodge Diplomat, silver
15. 1992 Ford Ranger, dark grey
16. 1981 Mercedes-Benz 280SE, silver
17. 1982 Mervedes-Benz 300SD, bllue

Not all that many, considering. These are the ones that at one time or another were in running condition. Not all of them were registered. I currently own the '92 Ranger and the '82 Mercedes-Benz.

CharlieH.

One Too Many
My vehicles....
1935 Ford Coupe (wrecked)
Plymouth Prowler of indefinite age (wrecked)
1996 Mustang (wrecked)
1941 Ford woody (gathering dust).
All of them in 1/24 scale....

Speaking of car ownership, take a look at this old fella. I'd sure like to be like him when I hit 84!

Doh!

One Too Many
I'll play:

1974 Chevy Malibu
1980 Chevy Malibu
1986 Mazda 323
2004 Mini Cooper (first new car)

I held onto the Mazda for 10 years so maybe I'll keep the Mini... 11.

I had the '74 Malibu in college, which was pretty close to a high school. One day after class, this punk kid in his new Camaro pulled up alongside of me at a red light and yelled out the window, "Wanna drag? heh-heh-heh..." The Malibu wasn't much to look at but the engine packed a wallop.

The light then turned green.

I smoked him.

Jay

Practically Family
I got my license 3 years ago.

1. 1987 Pontiac Trans Am (Daily Driver)

2. 1955 Chevy 210 (Weekends)

I'll be happy with just these two cars for a long time.

Flivver

Practically Family
Since 1972 my daily drivers have been:
1967 Oldsmobile 88...my first car...drove this 250K miles
1967 Buick Skylark
1980 Ford Pinto
1980 Chevy Citation...possibly the only good Citation ever made...never a problem!
1985 Chevy Celebrity wagon
1990 Chevy Caprice Wagon...with 1A2 special service package...has factory bucket seats!
1991 Chevy Caprice Sedan
1996 Chevy Caprice Sedan 9C1...former police car
2000 Mercury Grand Marquis...my present go to work car
2001 Chevy Impala
The last three are my current "drivers".

When I was growing up, we had:
1940 Oldsmobile 66 Coupe
1951 Chevy Styleline DeLuxe 2-Dr Sedan
1956 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe...Tropical Turquoise and India Ivory
1962 Chevy Impala Sport Coupe
1973 Chevy Monte Carlo...still have this one...34K original miles

As you can see, I come from a GM family and am a confirmed Chevy enthusiast. But, occasionally I let a Ford or two creep in...usually because it's a deal on a very clean used car that I can't refuse!

panamag8or

Practically Family
Diamondback said:
Now, now, Charlie, scale models don't count. If they did, I'd have enough to open a dealership...lol

I could open a NASCAR track and a Coca-Cola bottling plant.lol

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
First car: 1977 Toyota Corolla that I bought for $300.00. I gave it away when I bought the Mustang.
Second: 1966 Lincoln Continental Convertible that I never got on the road, although it did run. I paid $1,600.00 for it, and sold it nine years later for $800.00.
Third: 1966 Mustang that threw a rod after five weeks of ownership. I gave it back to the friend who sold it to me, since I'd only made one payment. (He hadn't driven it in years. When I'd asked about buying it, he offered it to me for $1,500.00, but when the Corolla died a few months later and I needed a car, the price magically jumped to $2,500.00.)
Fourth: 1985 Nissan Pulsar NX that is still my daily driver.
Fifth: 1967 Chrysler Newport Custom that I still drive a couple times a week and on weekends. I paid $1,000.00 for it.

The only car I didn't own while I had the Lincon is the Chrysler.

Lee

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Truth be known...

I had a beautiful '67 Mustang just out of high school and sold that thing to buy an Audi Fox (of all things!).

I subsequently had three Audi's over the years, the Fox (80), the 100, and a 5000. Then they got popular and they priced them way outa my range!

Now I'm back in a Ford Thunderbird (I absolutely love the body style of the '97 T-bird. I've had two of those.)

-dixon cannon

Gilbey

One of the Regulars
My first car given to me by my father in law. He took it from a junkyard and fixed it up. It was a '76 Ford Granada.

Next junk we had was a '77 Pontiac Astre.

Next pretty decent junk was a '78 Cutlass Salon.

Next, '83 Oldsmobile Toronado.

Next in line ... '77 Corvette - only lasted 3 yrs. when wifey totalled it. Got to get another one.

Then came our '86 Toyota Celica.

Next, '93 Nissan Pickup Truck with extended cab.

It was 1995 - time to get that Vette I was lusting for. So I got an '80 red Vette. Lasted for the next 10 yrs, then we sold it.

At present, we have a 2001 VW Beetle and a '99 Dodge Intrepid. That's all!

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Not many

1988 Monte Carlo--had for two years and it was stolen from the driveway, never to been again.:rage:

1993 Chevrolet Lumina- what I replaced the Monte Carlo with. Pile of crap, TOTAL waste of money and turned me off to Chevrolet for decades to come.:rage:

2000 Ford F-150-what I replaced the Lumina with and runs like a charm.:eusa_clap

dostacos

Practically Family
actually my first "transportation" had 4 on the floor, could turn on a dime and give 9 cents change, called her KITTY. oh and for her age she was fast. on a short course, she beat the 1968 California State champion barrel racer Japengo [not sure of the spelling, but that is how Mac pronounced it] Mac rode both, he would beat kitty on a regulation course but she out turned him every time. Sure miss that cow pony....

Dan [former working cowboy]

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Drool over this one!!

A New York man retired. He wanted to use his retirement money wisely, so it
would last, and decided to buy a home and a few acres in Portugal.

The modest farmhouse had been vacant for 15 years. The owner and wife had
both died, and there were no heirs. The house was sold to pay taxes.

There had been several lookers, but the large barn had steel doors, and they

had been welded shut. Nobody wanted to go to the extra expense to see what
was in the barn, and it wasn't complimentary to the property anyway......so,

nobody made an offer on the place.

The NY guy bought it at just over half of the property's worth, moved in,
and set about to tear in to the barn.......curiosity was killing him.

So, he and his wife bought a generator, and a couple of grinders.......and
cut thru the welds.

What was in the barn...............?

Go to http://www.intuh.net/barnfinds/afa70.htm

and start wishing you had
bought the place!!

Umm, yeah--a lot of it (I quit paging through about pic 60) looks like it needs anywhere from a little TLC to major restoration, but definitely a bigtime drool-worthy collection...

Wonder why the original owner welded the doors like some kind of automotive mass-grave, though...

SGB

One of the Regulars
- 1940 something Desoto
My cousin and I bought this from Grandma after the transmission stuck in reverse, we were 10 and 11 so we just drove it backwards in the orchard at the ranch. Paid 25 cents each.
- 1958 VW van, camper special
The best vehicle to drive in high school in the late 60's.
- 1941 Ford sedan
Sold the VW to buy this, my early college wheels.
- 1966 Ford Ranchero, 289
Inherited this, put over 250,000 miles on it and replaced much of the running gear at least once, rebuilt engine, used to carry the race stuff and my daily driver for years. Sold it just before we moved to AZ 3 years ago.
- 1958 Austin Healey 100-6
Bought it from a friend stranded in Hawaii, fun to drive. Sold it to fund engine rebuild of Ranchero. Sold 1941 Ford to friend in need of a car, he got drunk and rolled it in a creek bed, totalled it. Regret selling it.
- 1966 Triumph TR4A, IRS
Bought from same friend as above, he got married and needed money for new baby. Fun to drive too, drove it to work many cold mornings with the top down, to wake up. Was going to go through the car and trick it out for more performance, when a mechanic friend said "It's a sled, no matter how much you do to it it will always just be a sled. Buy something already fast, like a Lotus 7".
- 1971 Lotus Super 7, twin cam with Webers, race cams etc.
So I did. Sold the TR4A, redundant next to the Lotus. The Lotus was awesome fast right out of the box, handled like a racecar, which is what it really is, a race car on the street. The most fun driving I have ever had, owned it for 30 years, sold it just before we moved to AZ 3 years ago. Ranchero still daily driver.
- 1970 Lamborghini Espada
Bought from one of my race sponsors, his secretary wouldn't drive it because it didn't have power steering. He owned a Ferrari 308 for his company commute car, and 3 Countachs. I only owned this car for one week, hired delivery driver crashed it on way from LA to SF to deliver it to me after a full mechanical rebuild. Oh well.
*- Yamaha RD350, race prepped street bike, lots of fun on a 2-stroke.
- 1966 Ford Cortina
My new commute car. Second owner, bought from my great Aunt (original owner) who was too old to drive anymore.
- 1985 Ford T-Bird, V8
First new car, my wife drove it mostly, surprisingly trouble free.
- 1980 Ford Fiesta
My newer commute car to replace the Cortina, which gets parked at the ranch for awhile. The Fiesta is a sleeper, 12 MPG on the freeway as it is barely street legal, handles like a big GoKart, eats sportscars on the twisty bits, way too much fun.
- 1990 Ford T-Bird Super Coupe
Another new car, ordered from the factory, real comfortable and a lot faster than I expected. Again, surprisingly trouble free other than some camber problems we were able to fix. No engine trouble at all, even with the supercharger. I was in a big accident and totalled this car, not my fault, rear-ended on the freeway. Sold the '85 Bird.
- 1991 Ford Mustang GT
Fun car to drive, real clean, gets driven very little now so it is staying in good shape. Sold the Cortina for $1 to a friend who fixed it up and sold to a buyer in England, it went back home. Sold the Fiesta to the guy I bought it from, he enjoyed driving it so much had to have it back.
- 2000 Ford Windstar mini-van
Bought to replace the crashed T-Bird. We bought it for our business needs, but use it as a daily driver, no problems other than a new tranny at 75,000. My wife hates to think she is now driving a soccer mom van.
- 1930 Chevy 1 1/2 ton stake bed truck
Ben's Truck from the HBO series 'Carnivale'. We are having a blast driving and showing this truck, we meet Carnivale fans everytime we drive it. Even have 3 trophies so far. We are keeping it exactly as it was on the show, fake rust and all.

SGB

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe