Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How hot is it inside your hat?

rlk

I'll Lock Up
1912 Clothier & Furnisher
Screen%2520shot%25202012-05-26%2520at%252011.30.27%2520AM.png

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I think that the order in which the hats were worn is a variable not accounted for. Also, as the sun moves across the sky, the heat will be felt differently. I don't know, however, if that would impact the temperature under a given hat although the external temperature supposedly remained the same.

A good way to replicate this experiment with better accuracy would be to use a temperature and humidity controlled room, and do one hat per session, with each hat would be worn for the same amount of time, on the same person. This would eliminate the variable of the body getting and remaining warmer the longer the person was exposed to the heat, from one hat to the next.

Last edited:

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Activity level is crucial for me. I can sit on the porch working the Saturday NYT crossword puzzle in the burning sun in a black, fully lined homburg and be just fine. But if I try walking the dog a block in the same heat I become a cartoon character, mopping sweat off the brow every 2 minutes.

Same goes for straws, whether panama or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe