Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How honest are you?

A little play there to lure you in!
When you guys order your custom jackets, do you send in your ACTUAL numbers, or do you add/subtract based on some internal compensation algorithm? Being "this close" to ordering now (choosing between two models) I am now thinking about my measurements and should I fudge?
Being big, I am paranoid especially over sleeves being too short.

Aether

One of the Regulars
The first jacket I ordered from Aero I 'compensated' and I had to send it back! Nothing worse than waiting all that time and then realising that it just doesn't fit:eusa_doh:
I've learnt my lesson and now give my exact measurements and state what I want the fit to be like.

The first jacket I ordered from Aero I 'compensated' and I had to send it back! Nothing worse than waiting all that time and then realising that it just doesn't fit:eusa_doh:
I've learnt my lesson and now give my exact measurements and state what I want the fit to be like.

Thank you. Did you go over or under? Can I assume they do their own compensation?

Dav

One Too Many
Like Aether said send your exact measurements and tell them what you intend to wear under it, if you start adding inches you will end up with a jacket that is to big. I also learnt this the hard way.
As for sleeve length I would err on the long side as they can shorten with wear, my Highwayman has.

Last edited:

Chi-Town Co

Familiar Face
That seems to be good advice. Do you think that they compensate based on what you tell them (e.g. that you wear a heavy sweater)?

Absolutely.. when I ordered my Highwayman, I gave my actual measures and told them I wanted the fit loose enough to wear a sweater under. They said I should go up one size with large "turnings" which they said is actually like going up a half size. They adjusted the sleeve and jacket length accordingly as well.. Bottom line- be truthful.. that way if it doesn't fit- the jacket manufacturer can't blame you..

Peacoat

Bartender
When I ordered my Highwayman, I gave exact measurements, but neglected to tell them I wanted it to be a bit loose so I could wear a sweater underneath. I got exact measurements, and a perfect fit, but with not much room for a sweater or a vest. Now that I have read the information on this board over the past 4 or 5 years, I know what to do differently the next time.

CBI

One Too Many
send them your exact measurements, how you want it to fit and most importantly, send them the measurements of a jacket that fits you the way you like. If you own a perfectly fitting jacket, these measurements can be really helpful

Jack Burton

One of the Regulars
I understand where the paranoia comes from but I think it's unfounded in this case. The whole reason you're laying out a chunk of change is to get a quality product made by quality craftsman. Are you gonna walk into a tailor shop, get measured and then tell the tailor to add an inch to your chest?

andy richards

Practically Family
Interesting thread. I always give all my measurments, height, weight, chest size, pants size and always refer to a jacket that fits me good. Keep in mind though, when ordering f.e. a Highwayman that these are of a rather "boxy cut". That's why you need a forum like this. The good thing also is that if you order at a company like Aeroleather, they are willing to make your jacket to your own specifics and measurements.
Andy

CBI

One Too Many
If you own a jacket that fits perfectly, lay it flat on the floor/table and take outside measurements - this - in addition to your personal measurements

Peacoat

Bartender
If you own a jacket that fits perfectly, lay it flat on the floor/table and take outside measurements - this - in addition to your personal measurements

This is the method John Chapman uses with great success. Of course he also sends out a loaner jacket that is about the same dimensions as the measurements one sends him. Then measurements are tweaked to get (hopefully) a perfect fit. He nailed my Poughkeepsie using this method.

[Edit Note: Here are instructions for measuring the chest of a peacoat. Works equally well for a leather jacket:

"When I want a chest measurement, I ask the seller to button the buttons and place the peacoat chest up on a flat surface. The material should be stretched tight to remove the wrinkles, both front and rear, and then allowed to relax. The measurement is then taken across the chest from just under one armpit to just under the other armpit."*

Follow this method for measuring other parts of the jacket as well. If no buttons, then use the zipper.

Last edited:
No jacket here cut the way my new one will be, so it's just numbers from my large body.
Most of mine are looser Schott, Avirex jackets. Except my moto jackets.

Cliffnopus

One of the Regulars

Absolutely, actual measurements.

Cliff

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe