Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How high do you sling it?

Edward

Bartender
Just before Christmas, I won this on eBay:

18107017.jpg

It's a Herbert Johnson for Brooks Brothers, Charcoal Grey (photos are actually a very good representation of the natural colour... at least on my screen! ;) ), 57, which appears to have been sold originally in 1970. The bash is exactly as bought - my black homberg is staying in a more traditional look for wear with black tie, but this one I like the rakish appeal of the fedoraesque crown shape. Very Mick Collins - and that guy was a sharp dresser, in my book.

Anyhow.... I'm off to a wedding back in Ireland this weekend, flying out tomorrow morning. Was planning on taking this hat with me, but a little wary it looks too high on me? Might just be me, as I'm used to wearing my fedoras a little lower, plus I'm also used to a wider brim... Does it sit too high over my ears? There's about a finger space between ear top and hat, fwiw.

Debbie Harry looks impressed, anyhow:

18107007.jpg

Tim Curry not so much! (Richard O'Brien can't even look at me, he's so disgusted...). Maybe it's my impression of a chinless wonder in this shot:

18107008.jpg

From behind:

18107012.jpg

Warning! Self-takeys can really make you look dumb! :

18107016.jpg

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Edward said:
There's about a finger space between ear top and hat, fwiw.

I'd say that's about right. When you're walking around, and can't see in the mirror, how does it feel? Also, if you look in the mirror from all the way across the room, how does it look? :)

Flieger

Practically Family
LOL! I'm not laughing AT you, I'm laughing WITH you. lol

I think the hat looks great on you but it's a bit hard to tell with these photos. You look so self-aware when you shot snaps at arms-way. Set the camera up for a more relaxed timer shot perhaps?

I can't make a Homburg work at all on my own head but I think you have great potential. And that Herbert Johnson is very nice. Congrats!

/F

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Edward,

You might consider tilting it down a bit in front--not a lot, but enough to level it out perhaps.

As J.T. notes the finger's width between ear and hat is good.

Regards,
Tom

Edward

Bartender
Thanks, guys.

Believe it or not, these were taken on my phone - the Sony Ericsson k800i model, which has an inbuilt 3.2MP camera. Turns out surprisingly sharp shots. Amazing how difficult it can be to get a decent ide on shot at arm's length! :eek:

I've had a hunt round here and elsewhere online as well, and it seems that homs generally are worn that little bit higher than a fedora commonly is - I guess that's reflective of it being a more formal hat, perhaps? It does seem to sit at the same height on me as a top hat does. Probably wouldn't be at all noticeable if I had hair, actually....

JT, it feels pretty much fine and at a distance it doesn't look odd - at least allowing for it seeming very tall due to me being used to a wider brim with the crown height. I'll give it a go on Monday at the wedding and we'll see how it goes down! Fit wise, it's definitely a 57 as labelled, though it feels like a neat 57. Maybe this is due to it being designed to sit that bit higher; maybe also there's been a small element of shrinkage over time. It's not tight enough to be uncomfortable, just that noticeable little bit snugger than my other 57s. I expect that after a few wears it'll stretch out that little bit.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I had the same issue with mine. See my current avatar. I bashed it a la Michael Collins, and I like it better. Since I got the homberg I've been exploring the whole idea of homberg as every day hat. There's more flexibility in styling than I realized. I did feel like Elmer Fudd for a while there, but now I'm getting used to the look. It's a body language issue as much as anything. You have to carry yourself in a subtly different way.

Edward

Bartender
Well, here it is in action yesterday - photo taken just after I returned from the reception. A poorly posed shot that looked much better on the little viewer on the camera, but at least it puts the hat in some context!:

DaveandVanessaWedding21Jan08014.jpg

It received a lot of compliments, btw.... especially from the ladies. ;)

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
J.T.Marcus said:
I'd say that's about right. When you're walking around, and can't see in the mirror, how does it feel? Also, if you look in the mirror from all the way across the room, how does it look? :)
Hmmmm, that all depends, Metropd and Jerekson where their's way up high.

Edward

Bartender
indycop said:
:eusa_clap I like the vest too! One of these days I will find one.:eusa_doh:

It's a cotton moleskin; despite being taken under artificial light it's an accurate representation of the colour (on my monitor at least - your mileage may vary... ;) ). Bought on eBay UK for the equivalent of about ten dollars.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Edward said:
It's a cotton moleskin; despite being taken under artificial light it's an accurate representation of the colour (on my monitor at least - your mileage may vary... ;) ). Bought on eBay UK for the equivalent of about ten dollars.
10 bucks!!:eek:

Jerekson

One Too Many
Bolthead's right, I do tend to wear some of my hats on the higher side. Particularly the vintage ones - they are generally stiffer and therefore will not conform to my head as well.
I like my hats to be a snug fit, so it's not unusual for a hat to ride up after a while of wear.
My Knox is a prime example. The tight fit and overall stiffness will eventually place the hat a bit higher up on my head. a gust of wind could easily blow it off.

Kev_portrait_13.png

Like you said, a finger or two between the ear and the brim.

I think this looks fine, and completely natural.

I can tell you this, the reason you are so deterred by the placement of the hat on your head is because of your lack of hair. I mean that in no offensive manner, trust me :p Because obviously it has been shaved.
Whereas in the above picture you can see that I have alot of hair in that area. Hence the noticeable difference.

The fact of the matter is that you are looking at yourself in the mirror and noticing a gap on the sides of your head.
If, like you say, your other hats do sit lower, then this gap was not previously noticed; but the skin between the ears and the hat is throwing off your perspective. You're just not used to seeing that effect.
At least, that's my consensus. I have a knack for reading what other people are thinking. Call it a gift or a curse, but whatever it is, it can be faulty at times ;) So, if I am completely off mark then please accept my apologies.

Anyway,
I think it looks great. It will just take a bit of getting used to, because of the above statement ^^^ but I'm pretty sure you'll be the only person who isn't sure of the look.

KObalto

One of the Regulars
indycop said:
:eusa_clap I like the vest too! One of these days I will find one.:eusa_doh:
I think they call that a waistcoat over there,;)
Edward, you look great. And to think, Mick Collins spent much of his life trying not to be photographed only to wind up as a fashion icon on FL.

Edward

Bartender
KObalto said:
I think they call that a waistcoat over there,;)
Edward, you look great. And to think, Mick Collins spent much of his life trying not to be photographed only to wind up as a fashion icon on FL.

lol Exposing a fanboy tendency for Mick Collins - even in dress alone - could still get ya in lot of trouble in the wrong part of the Old Country. ;) Heh. I wonder is the fact that he looked so damn sharp in the relatively few photos that do exist of him down to the fact that there arent' any of him looking a bit rough - some sort of image based natural selection?? :p

Jerekson said:
I can tell you this, the reason you are so deterred by the placement of the hat on your head is because of your lack of hair. I mean that in no offensive manner, trust me :p Because obviously it has been shaved.
Whereas in the above picture you can see that I have alot of hair in that area. Hence the noticeable difference.

Bang on. I started shaving my head all over when it finally got to the point that nothing (not even a number 1, twice a week) hid how much it had thinned. Looking at all the photos of other folks on here wearing hombergs, it did seem to me that they weren't any higher, just less obvious with the hair. :)

Definitely nobody else seemed to think it looked odd on the day - especially not the ladies. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe