Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How d'ye do. Glad to be here. Now: Borsalinos (modern)

Bargepole

New in Town
Or should that be "Borsalini"...? But I have been looking at the general comments on modern Borsalinos and it chimes with my experience. I had thought that perhaps the hats sold in Borsalino's own "boutiques" would be of a higher standard, but alas no. The specimen illustrated below came from what I suppose is their flagship boutique up by the Spanish Steps in Rome. (I should have been put on my guard by the location; the Spanish Steps is pure touristville, but I was in a hurry...)

The shop itself is a sorry affair. Bored, unhelpful staff more concerned with replacing hats on their displays than helping one choose; no attempt to assist; no offer to measure my head; no offer to steam or brush the new hat. Give us the money: now get out.

As for the hat: ludicrously soft felt so that it cockles, won't hold its shape, flaps ludicrously in the lightest breeze. The felt is simultaneously coarse and soggy, with weak spots which of course crease or bulge. The sweatband is some kind of synthetic-y leather; the liner badly glued in. Altogether a disgrace.

Maybe I was unlucky. They certainly were, for I shall not be going back. My only excuse is that I had left my own hat in my car, back in England, at the airport, and wanted to look good. Stupid, of course. (The "own hat" on that occasion was a 20-year-old Borsalina bought in Spa, Belgium; it has been round the world with me – including months of flying solo round the Australian outback - and still looks beaut, as they say in Oz. Only problem is the sweatband stiching has pulled through the edge of the leather. Can anyone replace it in England? Lock? Bates? Herbert Johnson? Nah. Welcome to London...)

So it looks, from my experience, as though Borsalino are as bad at home as they are abroad. A rubbishy hat knocked up without concern for quality. A sad end for a great name. (And these are the hats for which Lock of St James's -- once, one of the great hatters -- now charge nearly $500. At least I didn't pay *that* much.)

borsalino3.jpg

borsalino2.jpg

borsalino1.jpg

Washington

New in Town
Thanks for the review

That squares with the new Borsalinos I've seen as well. Having never held a vintage one, I wondered just how far in off in quality the new ones were.

Best,
Washington

I thought I was the oddball here, thus keeping my opinion on Borsalinos under lid. (no pun intended) I've never been so lucky as to come across a vintage Bors at a shop or estate sale, but I did try on a few new ones and thought for the sort of jack they want, it's a pretty flimsy hat.

By the way, Bargepole and Washington, welcome to the Lounge.

Regards,

Senator Jack

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
New Borsalinos

I'm sorry that you wen't happy with your hat . Unfortunately , Borsalino seems to being having a problem that alot of the factories today are having . They aren't making good hats anymore .
In Borsalinos case , the company does make great hats but you need to be careful when you buy one. dont start out with a hat that is too soft . It menas that the factory did not let the hat shrink dowwn properly . They also might not have put in the right amount of shellac in the body .
You wont find too many problems with hats that have a brim under 3 inches . Over that , you need to be very selective in your purchase .

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Visigoth

A-List Customer
While I hate to increase the competition: there are a TON of vintage Borsalinos on ebay, and the prices are generally very good. Many of them are in close to mint condition. And not so long ago (relatively speaking) Borsalino was a truly great hat. My current favorite hat is a Borso from 1971 -- just on the verge of vintage, really. God it's well-made. Still waiting for four Borsalinos to arrive -- one from 1960, two from 1938, one from 1930. I'm *quite* interested in seeing how the various periods compare in quality.

Oh, and I've asked this question a zillion times: *someone* must know the answer... How much beaver did the average vintage Borsalino have in the mix, back in the good old days? Were they pure lapin, even back then?

Pilgrim

One Too Many
The gent at Greeley Hatworks (Jay, one of those tall slender old boys who has been around for 40 years doing what he does) told me last month that he's not impressed by the current Borsalinos, for exactly the reason mentioned in the first post. He says they're so soft they don't hold a block well, and they don't hold their shape under normal wear.

I read the first comment with interest, as this brought Jay's comment to mind immediately.

riccardo

Practically Family
It's my experience too...

...I'd just said...I'll never buy a new Borsalino; maybe I'll buy a vintage one, but never a new one.
Riccardo.

Magus

Practically Family
Senator Jack said:
I thought I was the oddball here, thus keeping my opinion on Borsalinos under lid. (no pun intended) I've never been so lucky as to come across a vintage Bors at a shop or estate sale, but I did try on a few new ones and thought for the sort of jack they want, it's a pretty flimsy hat.

By the way, Bargepole and Washington, welcome to the Lounge.

Regards,

Senator Jack

I recently let go of a 40's Borsalino that I had bought for my father-in-law. It wasn't the right hat for him and too small for me. I noticed that the hat was very soft, yet at the same time seemed to want to take shape (at leat in the brim. Really quite an impressive hat. The crown was open and I left it that way for the new owner. I case you are wondering, Yes...having it for a bit does make me want one of my own.

But that remains to be seen. I am toying with just having Art make me a custom instead.

M

Pilgrim

One Too Many
The blue Borsalino I picked up a month or so ago seems like a nice compromise. it's soft enough tob e pleasant to handle, but seems firm enough that it should hold its shape. Unfortunately I'm not sure how old it is, but I'm guessing it's 10-20 years old at least.

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
I've got a vintage Borsalino en route to me now (the one Magus mentioned parting with), and I'm looking forward to having it blocked and "refurbished", as it is currently open crowned. I assume from other old Borsalino's I've seen, it will take the block quite well and serve me for many many years to come. I think I'd rather breath life into a vintage hat then buy a new one of apparent lesser quality.

Just my two sheckles.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Modern Borsalino who?

Borsalino is no longer around. The hats being made today with that name I can't consider Borsalino. It's like Pan-Am. New airline with somone elses name.

There are a number of posts here talking about the problems with not-Borsalino's hats.

Not-Borsalino will turn to mush in the rain regardless of their fur content because the felting that is done to make the hats is a joke. So loose the fur falls off before your eyes... try using a sponge on one.

It's not a Borsalino -- hasn't been for 40 years.

Akubra makes a better hat... Modern Hatco Stetson are a better hat, the Boy Scouts have a better roll up wool hat.

Modern Borsalino deserves to be in thrift stores... It is a hat that you should find next to the umbrellas at Sav-on drugstores.

Visigoth

A-List Customer
I agree regarding the new Non-Borso, except that you don't have to go back forty years to find the real thing. 1982 was the transition year. I know for a fact that hats made as late as 1971 are *stunning* quality; I suspect that even the late seventies hats are lovely.

RedPop4

One Too Many
Pilgrim said:
The blue Borsalino I picked up a month or so ago seems like a nice compromise. it's soft enough tob e pleasant to handle, but seems firm enough that it should hold its shape. Unfortunately I'm not sure how old it is, but I'm guessing it's 10-20 years old at least.
My San Remo from 1978 (according to one Borsalino date code thread) is just this same way. It's the most comfortable and softest of any hat I own, however it keeps its shape just fine.

syzygywon

New in Town
I've picked up a couple borsalinos in the last year at estate sales and I will keep the two that fit. Here is one of them and while it has a soft brim, it has held it's shape well and I am quite content with it!
DSC06268.JPG DSC06269.JPG DSC06270.JPG DSC06271.JPG DSC06272.JPG

syzygywon

New in Town
and here is a brown borsalino peluche size 7 without the headliner. I'm torn whether to get a liner put in at Optimo considering the hat is too small and I'm probably going to sell it.
DSC06273.JPG DSC06274.JPG DSC06275.JPG DSC06276.JPG DSC06277.JPG DSC06278.JPG DSC06279.JPG DSC06280.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe