Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you wear a blouse?

Kishtu

Practically Family
No, it's not a stupid question, I know about the sleeves and the buttons bit :p

I love that elegant but casual Lauren Bacall crisp blouse and slacks combo, but I can't pull it off.

What IS the trick to looking groomed in a blouse? I end up looking either crumpled, thick-waisted, or shapeless!

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Not a stupid question at all!! I used to shy away from blouses until i started wearing vintage regularly, now they ar the mainstay of my wardrobe.

I steer away from linen, much as i love it for other clothing items, but the wrinkling drives me batty for blouses. I persoaally like my blouses a little fitted, so i get a nice, neat silhouette, then tuck them in, get that skirt over your head and tug the shirt down if you have to, then tug again haha. Also wearing a slime belt with the slacks and blouse combo to really define your waist helps, same if i'm wearing a skirt.

I love the forties style blouses with the slightly puffy/pintucked sleeve detail as they make your shoulders look wider and therefore the waist smaller. Small shoulderpads are good too, perhaps you could add some to a blouse and see.

I also recommend spray starch for cotton blouses, works a treat and really does keep them crisp!

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Not a stupid question at all!! I used to shy away from blouses until i started wearing vintage regularly, now they ar the mainstay of my wardrobe.

I steer away from linen, much as i love it for other clothing items, but the wrinkling drives me batty for blouses. I persoaally like my blouses a little fitted, so i get a nice, neat silhouette, then tuck them in, get that skirt over your head and tug the shirt down if you have to, then tug again haha. Also wearing a slime belt with the slacks and blouse combo to really define your waist helps, same if i'm wearing a skirt.

I love the forties style blouses with the slightly puffy/pintucked sleeve detail as they make your shoulders look wider and therefore the waist smaller. Small shoulderpads are good too, perhaps you could add some to a blouse and see.

I also recommend spray starch for cotton blouses, works a treat and really does keep them crisp!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I second the spray starch! I recently turned a cousin onto it for bedsheets and blouses, and she's in love.

I wear blouses that are very slim fitted - If they aren't, I take in the bust and waist darts until they are to my liking. Don't forget, too, about silk blouses! I have quite a few in rich jewel tones, and they are lovely with just about any outfit. If you can't find/don't like real silk, go for the polyester imitation. Easy to wash, no wrinkles, gorgeous look :)

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Good point C-dot, or should i say 50's gal! Silk or poly are great for blouses. Anything that cuts down on the ironing and wears well is a must!!

Actually you jogged my memory of a blouse i saw recently in a vintage shop. It had definately started life as a men's silk dress shirt as it had the labels in and then some enterprising forties girl had taken it in and cut down the sleeves and the body to fit her.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Thank-you lovely! Oh, how I wish I was that good with my sewing machine lol

Fleur de Guerre modelled Vivien of Holloway's blouses, and she got the most perfect fit.

37BCCCDC.jpg

C5A8F626.jpg

Kishtu

Practically Family
Thank you ladies!
That's exactly the kind of advice I was looking for... for instance I'd never even thought of adding a belt because I just don't wear them (heaven knows why, I do have rather a nice waist...*)

* and a high opinion of myself :cool:

Sadly I think for the time being originals aren't really going to be suitable (I have an unfeasible chest and a tiny waist, which will probably change to vice versa when I stop feeding the Hairy Offspring!) - do you have any recommendations for nice reproductions?

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I have the white blouse Fleur is wearing, it's a great style, but it does need a bit of starch. I can recommend Heyday as they have brilliant blouses and they are really great people to deal with. I had a bad experience with VOH online, so they're not on my christmas card list, although the sales girls in the shop are sweeties.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Basic white blouses should be so simple, but I find them very frustrating. I don't find vintage ones that aren't stained or that fit properly. Many current ones have a bit of stretch in them and I feel like I'm in a strait-jacket - the fabric just doesn't feel good next to my skin. One day I put on my boyfriend's white work shirt (the one he said was his favorite and that he wanted it back... :eusa_booh) I rolled the sleeves up over my elbows and tucked it into high-waisted, wide leg pants and it worked just fine. The longer length kept it tucked in and the slightly larger fit draped nicely and was still feminine.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
One day I put on my boyfriend's white work shirt (the one he said was his favorite and that he wanted it back... :eusa_booh) I rolled the sleeves up over my elbows and tucked it into high-waisted, wide leg pants and it worked just fine.

That sounds cute! I'm not sure if mine would even let me touch his shirts, and I'm less sure I'd want to wear one (those preppy ones that are made to be worn open *yucky*)

I love Viven of Holloway's blouses, but they are seriously out of my price range. Heyday's are nice too, but again...

Amie, is that from an Andy Hardy movie? Great picture!

Last edited:

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
I've been searching over hill and over dale for Joan's style of blouse - basic cream or white, really blous-y, with those slightly puffed sleeves and wide shoulders, and definitely not stretchy. French cuffs, and I would die happy. Both VOH and Heyday's blouses look cute, but I can't wear 3/4 sleeves.
This looked really promising and so cute, but...
http://www.tarastarlet.com/Tops/c3/p180/Long+Sleeve+Blouse/product_info.html

Polyester :eeek:

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I agree she's a cracker!

I have got some of my best blouses from the charity shops. Most of them are 70's or 80's M and S, or jaeger, but they do the job. All the old M and S stock is such good quality compared to the new stuff they produce now.

I think i said before the VOH blouse was pretty good, but i didn't think it was great quality for the money at all.

lareine

A-List Customer
I loathe blouses as they are so hard to make look good on me. I'm busty and short-waisted, and anything tucked in makes me look like there's a pillow shoved up my top -- but anything left loose and untucked makes me look sloppy. A deep V-neck and interesting collar help distract the eye but the very idea of a blouse or shirt still causes me problems.

Marzena

One of the Regulars
Hello! This is my first appearance in the Powder Room, so I would first like to tell you how I enjoy this place. Like many others before me I have been a visitor for a long time before I finally joined the FL and it still feels daunting to actually take the floor.

Lareine, I probably have a similar figure and yet a fondness for wearing blouses. My solution was wearing another layer: a fitted vest or a V neck over a blouse. You still get the crisp peep of an open collar, and some buttons if the V of the top is deep enough, the fitted top keeps the waistline trim, and the about-hip length serves a short waist well. A cardigan may actually work very nicely, but again it must be fitted and on the short side as cardigans go.

I will show a picture when I work out how to do it.

Kishtu

Practically Family
Two things I've found in the last week:

1) an all in one (you know the things, they used to call them "bodies", not sure what the right word is for a combination bra/girdle, always known as all in ones in our house!) helps to keep things smooth top and bottom - no unlovely mid-line.
2) a shirt looks better, less fussy, than a blouse if you get the right size! Fortunately it seems that the Hairy Bloke is just the right size so his wardrobe is now officially annexed....

Tatum

Practically Family
Kishtu, I had forgotten about all-in-ones... I haven't seen one of those in ages! I can't remember what they were called here in the States, something stupid probably. I remember having one in the eighth grade!

If we are shopping for blouses, may I suggest a Van Heusen outlet store? I have found scores of blouses there over the years, they are not too expensive and great quality. They are often very vintage inspired. If I'm in a skirt, that is usually what is on top!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld