Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you undo crown taper or: All steamed up!

Fredthecat

One of the Regulars
Is there anyway to undo crown taper caused by steaming?

I think I over steamed a new Akubra Squatter. Didn’t see Spellflower’s warning about steam/taper until AFTER the fact. And yes, I had a LOT of fun playing around with bashing but ended up with considerable taper to the crown that wasn’t there before I steamed it.

Can I wet the felt and use a full head type stretcher or block to reshape the crown?
Or is taper caused by steaming and felt shrinking there to stay?

How to avoid this on future hats? Is steam really the best plan (properly done) or does sprayed on water work better in the long run? Why are youse guys using distilled water?

Thanks,
Taper headed Fredthecat

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
I'm trusting more knowledgable folk than myself to weigh in here, but I am under the impression that good doses of both heat and moisture are the primary causes of taper. It's why a lot of people shape their lids by dampening them with cool water, usually from a mist bottle, and keep steaming at a minimum.
I know one guy who shapes with cold water mist (distilled because he worries about the hard water in his taps, but tap water has never given me cause for grief and I don't bother with distilled) but he sets the shape by giving it a few seconds of steam. Just a few seconds, that's all.

As for correcting taper, I'm under the impression that reblocking is the best option, but I'm gonna watch this thread as well.

K

Kaosharper1

Bashing

I've only bashed a Federation and an Adventurer, but I did both with a little water. From what I've read hatters discourage the use of steam except to take out creases. Just using water I was able to get the Fed into a nice diamond shape. The good thing is that only the top of the crown is affected. I never put water on the sides, so no taper problems.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I had the same thing happen to an akubra federation. A reblock is the only way to fix it. Bad news is, by the time you pay for shipping and the reblock, you won't be that far away from the cost of a new hat. The post office now charges by the size of the box, it cost me $24.00 to ship a hat one way just a week or so ago.

fedoralover

Spellflower

Practically Family
Sorry you didn't see my warning sooner, Fred! I feel like I've been a broken record on this the past few weeks , but it seems I haven't done enough. :eusa_doh:

I really don't know why HatsDirect and others continue to tell people to use steam, when cold water provides similar results but without the risk of taper, at least in my experience. I'm sorry you also had to learn the hard way. :(

Viper Man

Banned
Interesting. I was unaware of this phenomenon but I suppose I have been lucky because I have used steam on all of my felt hats. It's cold water from now on!

Fredthecat

One of the Regulars
Too much Steam

Now that I look again it’s an Akubra CEO I tapered. Nice Fern Green colour.

This is how we learn….those of us that are slow to read Lounge threads first.

I was having a good old time playing with the new Akubra and the steam kettle.

I don’t have photos but will try this weekend. It’s really not THAT bad…still a nice hat but quite noticeable when sitting next to my other CEO and 2 Squatters.
Shame really, I probably wouldn’t pick it up on the way out the door now.

So just how does a real hatter actually reblock a hat? Wet then stretch over actual block to dry? Wet, stretch over block, remove to dry?

I know it ain’t Rocket Science… but then I did do it wrong, eh?

I have good well/tap water so I’ll give misting a try on the new Stylemaster that just arrived today.

Here’s another of Spellflower’s brain storms I latched onto:
Controlling invasive species!! Rabbits in Australia! Even the antifur bunny huggy folks can’t argue effectively against that. “Be vewy, vewy quiet…I’m hunting wabbits!”

Thanks for the help,
Fredthecat

fletch31

Familiar Face
Wet or steam, stretch over block, allow to dry, then flange the brim. Steaming a hat inside the crown will shrink it quite readily.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Viper Man said:
Interesting. I was unaware of this phenomenon but I suppose I have been lucky because I have used steam on all of my felt hats. It's cold water from now on!
Not intending to revive a subject that has been beaten
to death on this site, but... I have steamed a LOT of
hats and never noticed taper. If steam tapers AKUBRAs,
then it does. But it is still the best way to stretch a hat
or set the pinch or crown shape for most vintage hats.

My point here is just to say, 'don't give up on steam,
give up on steam on Akubras'.

Note: I've never owned or shaped an Akubra.

Spellflower

Practically Family
Good point, feltfan, the fatal combination may just be Akubra + steam.

Though I will certainly defer to your superior experience, none of my vintage hats require any moisture to keep their shape. I simply push them the way I want them and leave it at that. Maybe moisture is necessary for very pointy pinches on some of my hats, but in that case I'd still go with cold water. What advantage do you find steam has over other methods, besides not requiring dry-time?

As for Akubras, maybe it's the rabbit felt, maybe it's the new felt, but either way, I'm not wearing mine in the sauna!

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
feltfan said:
Not intending to revive a subject that has been beaten
to death on this site, but... I have steamed a LOT of
hats and never noticed taper.

I have used steam to shape all my of lids, including my Akubra R.M., with no bad results. That being said, I am very careful to use steam as sparingly as possible -- just enough to soften the felt so that I can shape it the way I want. In particular, I am very conscious of not applying steam to areas of the hat that don't need it, in order to minimize the chance of taper. I think it helps to use a source for steam that allows for some accuracy in application -- I use a clothes steamer that has a hose, so that I can apply the steam exactly where I want it. But, a tea kettle would also allow for a precise application. Holding the hat over a pot of boiling water wouldn't. :eek:

To my mind, using steam allows for a more fluid creasing process, and I doubt very much that I could get the same results simply from spraying water on the hat. That's not to say that using water isn't a perfectly effective way to shape a hat. I think a lot depends on what kind of crease one is trying to achieve. I personally prefer a teardrop crease, and not only is steam very useful in achieving an elevated crown, it also helps to achieve relatively smooth lines to the crease.

With regard to my Akubra, I was aware of reports of steam leading to taper, so I was very careful to use it sparingly. But I really wouldn't have the same degree of concern regarding a vintage lid.

Cheers,
JtL

Spellflower

Practically Family
Moderation may be the key, but unfortunately, Fred and I found that out too late. Hatsdirect suggests using a pot of water, and when I was shaping, I figured the more steam the better. :eusa_doh:

I'm glad steam is still a viable option, but as far as Akubras are concerned, I've found a good soaking is best. ;)

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Fredthecat said:
Is there anyway to undo crown taper caused by steaming?...Can I wet the felt and use a full head type stretcher or block to reshape the crown?

The answer to your question is yes. This assumes a few things. (1) That you have such a stretcher. (2) That the felt and sweatband are in reasonably good condition. (3) That you are careful.

If you reblock it without removing the sweatband, set the size pointer on the next smaller size. (i.e. If the hat is a 7 1/8 set the indicator to 7.) Any time you stretch a sweatband, there is the possibility it may split. If you remove the sweatband, set the pointer to the size you want the hat to be. :)

Feraud

Bartender
I must have the baddest (meaning coolest;) ) Akubra on the block. Mine is immune to steam.

Could it be that people are fiddling with their hats too much? It seems like some members are constantly playing with their crowns.

I believe in the shape it once and wear it school of hatwearing.

Fredthecat

One of the Regulars
Thanks guys, very helpful.

It may be an Akubra / steam thing…it may be a Fred applied WAY TOO much steam and it happened to be an Akubra he was tweaking at the time thing. I agree, no more saunas for bunny fur hats.

The hat in question is new, as in got it in the mail from DM last week, steamed and shaped it, noticed the taper and it’s never been actually worn new. Nice hat, cool Fern colour, just not straight sided like my other Akubra CEO and Squatters. It still looks like a brand new hat and if I hadn’t seen it (done it) I probably wouldn’t notice. . Mrs Fredthecat says “huh?”, thinks I made it up.

It was fine until I steamed the heck out of it…..suppose I got caught up in the fun of shaping my own hats.

I like the diamond crease you guys taught me. Seeing it in a LOT of ‘30’s films lately.

Never had this happen with my vintage lids but then they aren’t as stiff going in, shape easily and I was over jealous this time with the new directional steam kettle (not just for breakfast anymore).

No hat stretcher…yet...one of them ol aluminum heated crank models would be nice.

Thanks, Fred

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe