Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you date trousers?

Fidena

One of the Regulars
I know you can date suit jackets by looking at the union tag, but dating pants is an issue I can't really figure out. Is there a union tag on pants as well?

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
There is no magic bullet when it comes to definitively dating trousers or any other garment, you just have to invest years worth of study and observation.

With that having been said, I recommend reviewing the threads dedicated to scans from department store catalogs. Memorizing these details will aid you in knowing what to look for and will allow you to roughly date an item to a specific decade.

Do you have trousers you would to date, or are you interested in tips for identifying items at thrift stores and estate sales?

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I can't really date them. Maybe we could collect some details about the typical width or when cuffs and certain pleats were more common. Oh and fabrics of course.

As far as I know it could be like that

1920s normal to slim
1930s and 40s wide
1950s tapered at the ankle and getting slimmer
1960s slim
Is this about right?

Effingham

A-List Customer
Personally, I prefer dating skirts...

RimshotBadumtsh.jpg

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
I can't really date them. Maybe we could collect some details about the typical width or when cuffs and certain pleats were more common. Oh and fabrics of course.

As far as I know it could be like that

1920s normal to slim
1930s and 40s wide
1950s tapered at the ankle and getting slimmer
1960s slim
Is this about right?

I actually pay more attention to the waist details than the cuffs.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
I think other details besides general cut, waist details and fabric might include pleats (forward or backward), side pockets (slanted or on-seam), closure (zip or button fly) and suspender buttons/belt loops...

Corky

Practically Family
The Standard Method of Dating is Fairly Simple....

Call one of them up, ask them out, and them pick them up on time.

Then go someplace nice for dinner and maybe a movie, art opening, or some other hip activity afterward.

Maintain eye contact, but don't push it too hard. Ask a lot of questions and listen to the answers you get. Try not to talk overmuch about yourself.

Just be yourself and you should make out all right.

Fidena

One of the Regulars
I'm not familiar with the direction of pleats. Would someone care to expand it this? Which type is more commonly found in vintage styling?

Well, I visited a modern clothing store and all of the pleats were reverse, so I'd say forward is vintage.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Could you please tell some facts? I don't know anything about waist details.

I never reveal my secrets.

Just kidding.

I prefer slacks from the 40s and 50s, so I keep an eye out for hollywood waists. Again, study the catalog scans. Identify where the loops are placed, button arrangements, and etc. For me this is easier than examining the cut.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe