Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

RJR

I suspect that veterans returning from service in the 40s/50s may have resisted hats having been required to wear "covers"in prescribed situations.

fedoracentric

Banned
This isn't really a reaction to my "wearing," but it is a reaction to my hats and it is one of indifference.

Whenever I find out something new or have a hat with good history or whatever, it amuses me that no one cares even a tiny bit!

LOL

It's like having gold in my hands in a society that thinks the shimmering metal is just a pretty rock but otherwise has no real value.

Quetzal

One of the Regulars
I suspect that veterans returning from service in the 40s/50s may have resisted hats having been required to wear "covers"in prescribed situations.

Or, in some instances, it worked backwards; they became so used to something on their head, that they preferred to wear hats. My aunt's father-in-law was at Normandy (the only member of his group to survive) and, even when I met him, was still wearing a hat (a brown 1970s Dobbs with some feathers, typical of proper hats of the period).

Many younger vets that I run into are ALWAYS wearing a ball cap, and when I ask them about it, they tell me that they feel more comfortable with a cap on rather than nothing.

-Quetzal

Last edited:

fedoracentric

Banned

Well, we have articles in hat maker's magazines here on the Lounge complaining that Americans were beginning to give up hats as early as the 1930s, so if this happened in the 50s after WWII it was just continuing a trend.

Landman

One Too Many
My father was a WWII vet and never wore hats. Except maybe a ball cap when we went hunting or fishing. He did have a full head of thick hair all his life.

My grandfather was a WWI vet and I have very few memories of him without a nice hat. I can remember him in bed wearing his pajamas and a nice fedora while he listened to a baseball game on the radio. He was bald from an early age though.

Lt.hats

A-List Customer
I had a new comment yesterday, I wore my brown Fed IV at the Hollywood section of Disney world after dinner...as a little boy was passing me, he said to his father "look, he's wearing Perry's hat". I thought it was probably his uncle perry or someone like that, My buddies wife told me he meant perry the platypus, a disney character. :).

fedoracentric

Banned
He's apparently quite a character, that Perry.

perry.jpg

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My father was a WWII vet and never wore hats. Except maybe a ball cap when we went hunting or fishing. He did have a full head of thick hair all his life.

My grandfather was a WWI vet and I have very few memories of him without a nice hat. I can remember him in bed wearing his pajamas and a nice fedora while he listened to a baseball game on the radio. He was bald from an early age though.

I'd say we're about the same age, and your description matches my dad and grandpop as well.

Lt.hats

A-List Customer
Harv, I was a little surprised that I didn't, even when I passed the Indiana Jones stunt show, but I switched to my Fed IV after dinner so maybe that was why. I did spot several younger (under 40 :) ) men wearing what appeared to be a inexpensive version of the indie hat, probably sold in the gift shop here.

Besides the "indie" hats, I have been seeing more fedoras (both straw and felt) at Disney World this year. Possibly because this time of year there is an older crowd and fewer children, or maybe it's because I am paying more attention to hats now.

Fedoracentric...lmao.... I had flipped past the show occasionally in the past but didn't make the connection until Betsy dragged me in a gift shop and pointed "perry" out. I gotta say perry has good tastes in hats.

Hatophile Perry, you have good taste in hats too. :)

Last edited:

Landman

One Too Many
Lt.hats, that kid has a good eye for hats. If you were wearing the hat in your avatar, it does look a lot like Perry's hat! It is a nice looking hat too.

And speaking of kids and their observations..... the other day I was picking my daughter up from her dance class, I had on a very stingy (1 1/2" or so brim) milan straw hat, and I heard a little girl tell her mom "that man is a cowboy". It reminded me of how my middle son, when he was about 2 or 3 also called any hat with a brim a cowboy hat.

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oh yeah the cowboy comment is very common with the kids. I have heard a couple "hey mommy it's a cowboy" followed by a prompt "shhhhhhhh". :)

GregNYC

One Too Many
I wear a hat every day now, and I get nice comments several times a week. Never got a negative or snarky comment. Many curious stares and double-takes. When I'm at a shop or a store like Best Buy, I seem to get better service. People treat me with more respect.

There's a Jamaican a newspaper vendor by my train stop. Super nice guy, and he wears hats every day too. He now calls me "Playah!!" and teases me that I'm in the movies. I'll try to get a pic of him and me one day.

I haven't ever had a "cowboy" or "Indy" comment. But I don't have an Open Road yet, and haven't worn a fedora with a leather jacket yet either!

...I haven't ever had a "cowboy" or "Indy" comment. But I don't have an Open Road yet...
I have Akubra's equivalent to the Open Road, the Campdraft (two of them, actually), and a few weeks ago a female cashier at a local supermarket asked me, "Do you know how to do that line dancing stuff they do at those country bars?" lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe