Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How did America let this man become an icon of the working class?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
And I've been told by so many people how very little of what they learned in school seems to apply to their job -- and I'm not talking about the General Ed stuff either. In fact it turns out that most of their skills were learned on the job.
That's true, even for those with graduate degrees. It's like sports; you can train, drill, practice and game plan all you want but there's nothing like playing in a real live game. That's where you gain useful experience. And once you get the hang of your profession there's a certain level of continuing education required to keep abreast of the inevitable changes which will occur in a particular field.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
In my radio days, whenever I hired recent Journalism/Radio TV Degree holders I found I had to spend a very long time teaching them what the real world in broadcasting is like: the corner-cutting, pinch-penny way of doing things that's never taught in any textbook. Theory is all well and good, but they never taught you how to bridge your cassette recorder into a payphone with a pair of alligator clips.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yeah, me too. There were calculators but they were far too expensive at that time for a high school student to use. :p

My Dad retired as a math teacher in 1984. Back in the early 1970's he bought one of the first Commodore calculators. He could add, subtract, multiply and divide 4 digit numbers. Cost $400.00 back then. When I was a Junior, (1978), he bought a bunch of TI-55's.

Later

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
A hundred years ago, America had another icon of the working class: Joe Hill, a songwriter closely allied to the "Industrial Workers of the World" movement (the "Wobblies").

Found guilty of a murder he most probably didn't commit, Joe died by a Utah firing squad. His last words were: "Don't waste time in mourning. Organize!"

LizzieMaine

Bartender
370527.jpg

May 26, 1937 -- UAW organizers Walter Reuther and Richard Frankensteen are beaten bloody by Ford Motor Company goons in "The Battle of River Rouge."

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
It wasn't racier than it sounds it was racy.:eusa_doh: Another General Education elective. :rolleyes: I do have a BS degree in Finance by the way. :D I have no idea what Marriage and Sex had to do with anything but......:rolleyes:

Well, Marriage and Sex might be two ways people lose their financies... :p

The university I am at right now wanted to do away with all their Gen Eds because they weren't very popular because of more specific requirements. But then it was pointed out that the primary consumers of such courses were student atheletes.

Well, Marriage and Sex might be two ways people lose their financies... :p

The university I am at right now wanted to do away with all their Gen Eds because they weren't very popular because of more specific requirements. But then it was pointed out that the primary consumers of such courses were student atheletes.

There were so many of those fluff courses that is was just a morass. They would couch such things in respectable course names too---Anthropology 3745.:rolleyes:
I could see the athletes being interested in classes like that. :p

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
This Larry guy is not an icon. I have finally stopped getting furious at the mere sight of him.

He's an insulting stereotype composite intended to ridicule and demean America's Scots Irish cultural heritage. That Larry David show is no different. A traitor Jew willing to perpetuate every negative Jewish stereotype. Nothing new. This guy just follows in the grand tradition of Minnie Pearl and String Bean, as well as the black minstrel players doing step and fetchit jive crap to ridicule and demean black folks and keep them in their place in the minds of everyone who laughs at it. Not that I have an opinion on it.
Tell us how you really feel. (just kidding) bhahahhahahahaha

Bluebird Marsha

A-List Customer
To get back on topic, to say that Larry the Cable Guy represents the working class is to say that Indiana Jones represents all archeology professors.

A gal could only hope that was true! If it was, I'd have majored in archeology. Larry isn't quite my brand of humor, although he does have his moments. But he is a caricature. Caricatures at their best usually contain at least a gram of truth. I'm from Kentucky, y'all. And I do know some guys like Larry- but they're very much *wink wink nudge nudge* about it. A real good ole boy is like a real cowboy- a thing of beauty in his own right.

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
Hey now, Nebraska representin'. :) I gotta support a fellow cornhusker.

I know (embarrassingly) many people who are this stereotype in real life.....so is it life imitating art or art imitating life? He pokes fun at the stereotype, and the people he's poking fun at eat it up and laugh at themselves at the same time. I don't see how he's insulting anyone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe