Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How about the WORST ads?

Warbaby

One Too Many
And on a more cheerful note...

polytron.jpg

I know it's not as vintage as some of the previous ads, but I thought some of you would find it sufficiently amusing to forgive a small deviation from the time parameters.

funneman

Practically Family
I’ve been dying to bring this up and this thread seems like the perfect forum.
Is anyone else fascinated by the practice of putting faces on food in vintage
advertisments? As if making your food more human would somehow
make it more appetizing?
fashion_plate_apples_00.jpg

antonio_escandell_oranges_001.jpg

MrApple.jpg

redcarpet2.jpg

I’ve also always wondered about the idea of putting animals on signs at restaurants,
like the rooster drooling over the plate of fried chicken and the pig with knife and fork in hand, looking longingly at the plate of ribs.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
funneman said:
I’ve also always wondered about the idea of putting animals on signs at restaurants,
like the rooster drooling over the plate of fried chicken and the pig with knife and fork in hand, looking longingly at the plate of ribs.
Chickens, anyway, are notorious cannibals. A gilt may savage a piglet if starved, but who knows what might happen if they tried one of their own as barbecue. Pigs are smart and know what's good.

Jedburgh OSS

One of the Regulars
You won't believe this one!

th_Nicholsonfilead1.jpg

It's an ad for Nicholson files (still in business) and shows an aboriginal-type woman taking a file out of her purse to sharpen her teeth.
This is on page 4 of the March 24, 1945 issue of The Saturday Evening Post. Sorry I can't make it larger; maybe someone else can indulge upon that.

donCarlos

Practically Family
Now prepare for some really wicked ones, from the czechoslovakian state (and only) TV, 1980´s. There was actually no need for ads, since there was only one product of each kind, so there were ads for example for honey, eggs, milk, salad... All of them very short and framed by animated character of "Mr. Egg".

Here are some of them:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAI2k6ZM7bc (they say how cool it is, that the package can hold 36 kg)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raMaugKjGyo (the bears are saying "where´s our brother?" "he went out to buy some honey")

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ACA2xyPor0 (just remember that "mleko" is milk. that´s all they say)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxbGVfPpmz0 (my personal favourite - cabbage. He sings that his girl says he is cool and he told her that it´s caused by cabbage)

Thank god it´s overlol

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
donCarlos said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxbGVfPpmz0 (my personal favourite - cabbage. He sings that his girl says he is cool and he told her that it´s caused by cabbage)

Old Slovak (actually Ruthenian, or Lemko) comic song. Very rural, originally Rusyn in origin. Rusyns, and Hulzuls were a stateless ethnic minority that occupied the mountainous areas of Prešovský kraj in Slovakia, Lemko in poland and Sub-Carpathian Ruthenia in what is now Ukrane.

I have a recording of this song by Pawel Hummeniuk on OkeH or Columbia.

As I recall, in 1926 the innocent, comic lyrics were considered to be mildly salacious, when viewed in realltion to the slang of the times.

donCarlos

Practically Family
vitanola said:
Old Slovak (actually Ruthenian, or Lemko) comic song. Very rural, originally Rusyn in origin. Rusyns, and Hulzuls were a stateless ethnic minority that occupied the mountainous areas of Prešovský kraj in Slovakia, Lemko in poland and Sub-Carpathian Ruthenia in what is now Ukrane.

I have a recording of this song by Pawel Hummeniuk on OkeH or Columbia.

As I recall, in 1926 the innocent, comic lyrics were considered to be mildly salacious, when viewed in realltion to the slang of the times.
What a scientific attitude! How do you know all these things about these small and nearly forgotten nations?
I think it´s almost impossible to identify which song exactly it is. The lyrics are definitely not original and the music is universal (with lyrics changing for occasion)... Moravian, Slovakian, who knows? Sounds all very similar to me.

Actually, I´m pretty sure it´s slovakian. Firstly, they show cabbage, but he sings "sprout", which is slovakian for cabbage (after translation, of course). And secondly, there is a logo of slovakian television in the corner :)

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Whilst my maternal grandparents were more-or-less urban Bohemians, hailing from Klattau (now Klatovy) and Žebrák, my paternal grandparents were Lemko, coming coming form the Sub and Trans-carpathian Rus. In the United States, gifted musicians recorded under different names in different dialects to satisfy the market for "back home" music.

Remember that many tunes were adapted across cultural lines.

I do remember that I have a Pawel Homenick record, with this melody, and slightly naughty lyrics about cabbage (Actualy "Sprouts now that I think of it, As I recall it was the "sprout" reference that Grandmother considered bad, must have had some colloquial meaning) sung by Eugen Zukowsky, talented polyglot from Przemsyl who recorded in Rusyn and Slovak dialect, Czech, Polish, Ukranian, Russian and Yiddish. On his Polish, Ukranian and Rusyn records he was known for the off-color comedy.

Are the old recordings available, and collected in the Czech Republic? Tshings by Alois Tichy, Karel Hasler, Jaroslav Ježek, Herman's Band, and other artists of thw 1910-1930 period? I know that there seems to be a great deal of interest in swing-era, and American jazz, but is there interest in the home-grown music of the pre-war and the inter-war periods?

By the way, in idiomatic Slovak, Rusyn and polish Kapusta is not quite fresh cabbage, but a saurekarut, Traditionally in the more urban and western areas the term was generic, but in the mountain regions and in more rural areas the a real Kapusta will include a liberal admixture of onions, mushrooms, and perhaps some spice. Many Galacian and Hulzul cooks will also add either pork rib or speck. The Polish and jewish cooks tend to make kapusta rather thin, like a heavy soup. Slovak, Hulzul and Rusyn cooks tend to prefer a heartier dish. Of course, the Jewish version of this excellent dish does not coitain meat, most certainly NOT pork or bacon.

Hmmm...

We just had a very nice mushroom soup for supper tonight. Perhaps tomorrow we should dip into the Kraut crock in the cellar and make a kapusta!

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
donCarlos said:
Actually, I´m pretty sure it´s slovakian. Firstly, they show cabbage, but he sings "sprout", which is slovakian for cabbage (after translation, of course). And secondly, there is a logo of slovakian television in the corner :)

Definitely Slovak, note the cymbalon, which was more common in Slovak music than in Moravian, and certainly in Czech. I know of no pre-war recordings with Cymbalon made for the Czech or Moravian markets, save for Gypsy waxings.

The costumes seem rather generic, though, as would be expected in a television commercial dating from the 1980's

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe