Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hometown Jersey: custom US made repro motorcycle jerseys

bretron

Call Me a Cab
A $70 baseball shirt? No thanks.

Guess after spending +$1000 on jackets, $600 on boots, and +$200 on jeans a $70 shirt seems cheap to me

But c'mon, good luck finding another one of these m/c shirts for less than $200 :p

andy b.

One of the Regulars
Please post a review when you get it. I'd like to know how heavy the material is. I was on a search a few years ago for heavy rugby shirts, and must have bought 5 or 6 different brands before finding ones worthy of being called rugby shirts.

Andy B.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Got mine this week and am completely pleased overall. The jersey is soft but thick; the cut is form fitting; and the stitch work is all top notch. The lettering is all felt and hand applied. My wife commented that it looked like iron-ons which I think they are, but it is period accurate for sure. The jersey itself was made by Columbiaknit out of Portland OR. They have been in business for multiple generations, making polos,sweatshirts, tees etc.

Here's a quick/dirty shot

image.jpg

andy b.

One of the Regulars
It does look "old school". I like it.
When you say soft but thick, is it thick t-shirt thick, or sweatshirt thick, or????

Andy B.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Andy, thx for prompting me to clarify. It's like Iron Heart t shirt thick, similar weight to maybe a rugby shirt. Definitely not sweatshirt material.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Bretron,
Great find....will wait to see our feedback on this. I'm wondering how sturdy the felt lettering is? I've had a few before that peel off after a couple of washes....love the product concept...
Thanks mate

Edward

Bartender
Same with the sleeves. Why do they do it? Where the vintage ones short too?

As I understand it, baseball uniforms (on which these are based) traditionally were cut that way. At least the layer underneath the buttoning jacket/shirt was. I assume it was based on some notion of the sleeves being out of the way of batting hands/ gloves / et cetera, but I don't know exactly.

andy b.

One of the Regulars
Andy, thx for prompting me to clarify. It's like Iron Heart t shirt thick, similar weight to maybe a rugby shirt. Definitely not sweatshirt material.

I think I have a Columbia Knit rugby shirt, so if this shirt is the same material, that is a nice thickness.

So back in the day these shirts were originally made, would the letters have been some type of iron-on felt, or would they have been embroidered, or would it have just been some other fabric cut out and sewn on? I've had some shirts with the iron-on letters, and the shirt material wore out before the letters peeled off, so it may have to do with how well the letters were initially applied, or how the shirts were washed and dried.

Andy B.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Cheers, Resortes. I'm eager to see some other make-ups.

In the meantime, here's another (or at least a sneak peak) of mine
FEE7B0C0-04D1-4D2B-8354-B24EB2EE12AC.jpg

Also, as an aside; I learned that the woman who makes these fine garments is the wife of legendary custom guitar manufacture TK Smith. Kinda rad, I thought http://tksmith.net

Reactions: Gav

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
My club is getting its jerseys through Hometown and you see lots of them on the beach at The Race of Gentlemen. Good stuff and inexpensive for something 100% Made in the U.S.A.

Here is our club president's review of his if you're interested.

Reactions: Gav

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe