Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Homemade hat art - 1st try ever.

Flieger

Practically Family
RBH said:
Flieger, you did a wonderful job!!!
You need to try a thin ribbon next ! :D
These hats that PB has are great. You can even do as I did and put a little of your own shape into them.
Great hat and thanks for the photos!!!

Thank you, RBH!

I will try som experimentation on my Pachacuti next. Thin ribbons look very cool.

/F

Flieger

Practically Family
HamletJSD said:
and I really liked mine the way it was ...
now you've made me want to tear off the ribbon and try something new ... lol

Go for it, Hamlet! :D You can always change it back if you're not happy.

I hope we will see loads of customizations here on FL during the next couple of weeks. ;)

/F

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Overcoming barriers

Flieger said:
Honest. First time. Never done this before.

Hi Flieger,

I never doubt your integrity - I could have done the phrasing exactly in my mother tongue.[huh]

I learn by the 2nd example at FL that there is a language barrier - glass wall -between native speakers and non-native speakers where only long-years living in an English speaking environment can help.

I also don't like to praise too much in public - you can't defend yourself against that.

What I wanted to say is that the displayed precision-work and the clean finish are way above the average beginner level. You seem to have brought in your experience from other fields of art/hand-work.

Anyway it takes courage to do re-working: most people can undo things (me too) but much less can re-assemble and even less can upgrade.

I just hope that some master hatter somewhere considers the photos as a reference work of a talented person interested in the art of hat making.

There is also a wall between talented amateurs and masters- only to be penetrated by on-the job training.

Tom

Flieger

Practically Family
Tom: No problem. I just wanted to emphasise that this really was my first venture into this area to explain the less-then-perfect finish of my work. Not to milk the crowd for positive comments. Things would be sooo much simpler if we all could use our native tongue. :)

I have worked with needle and thread before and as a plastic modeller (going back some thirty odd years), I have some useful dexterity in my fingers and a familiarity to various tools and materials.

Anyway, thanks again for all the nice comments.

Flieger

Flieger

Practically Family
BellyTank said:
You added the silver ribbon on top of the existing ribbon, right?

B
T

Correct. My initial plan was to find a ribbon in two colors but three "fields" (1:2:1) that matched the original ribbon. I didn't find one so I picked up the silver one instead. But the plan was always to add one ribbon ontop of the existing one.

/F

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe